OA Extension Insurance Requirements

Does anyone have knowledge of how immigration is working with retirees who originally came to Thailand using a Non-immigrant O-A visa for the purpose of retirement (now legally married) but are too old and with pre existing conditions to purchase the required health insurance?  I am unable to travel well and leaving the country to return and get the 'O' visa would be extremely difficult.  I do have more than adequate insurance but not from one of the approved companies. 

Also a second question, if a person came to Thailand originally on a multi entry "B" visa say 15 years ago and then within the first year before the visa expires did an extension based on that "B" visa based on retirement and continues to extend unbroken chain for the next 15 years. Can they now continue extending and not face the insurance requirements?

You best option would be to change the reason for your extension from retirement to one based upon marriage. No health insurance would be needed if you did that.

No insurance would be needed if the original entry to the country was from a non-b visa. Only those that have extended a entry from a OA visa require insurance to apply for an extension based upon retirment.

Just to be clear,,,,,,,,on an O-A retirement extension there is a insurance requirement but switching to an extension based on marriage then the extension no longer needs insurance.

And the non-B extension based on retirement does not need insurance at all.

5 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

Just to be clear,,,,,,,,on an O-A retirement extension there is a insurance requirement but switching to an extension based on marriage then the extension no longer needs insurance.

That is correct.

The insurance requirement is only mentioned in the clause of the police order for retirement

5 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

Correct  No difference between having a non-b visa entry and a non-o entry.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is correct.

The insurance requirement is only mentioned in the clause of the police order for retirement

Correct  No difference between having a non-b visa entry and a non-o entry.

Switch to an extension based upon marriage when the current extension is based upon retirement with a Non O-A Visa. Does that require insurance ?

17 minutes ago, spetersen said:

Switch to an extension based upon marriage when the current extension is based upon retirement with a Non O-A Visa. Does that require insurance ?

No insurance is required for an extension based upon marriage.

3 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Can it be done in Thailand (change over to marriage) or do you have to leave Thailand to break the original O-A ?

You just apply for an extension based upon marriage instead of retirement. No need to leave the country. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martyp said:

There is a slightly different process and different financial requirements. You might want to get that information too.

So what are the requirements: 1/ Embassy Letter with an income more than 40K per month. 2/ 400K in the bank 2 months prior to application day validated by bank letter. 3/ Letter from bank stating 40K transfered to Thai bank Monthly.

4 hours ago, spetersen said:

So what are the requirements: 1/ Embassy Letter with an income more than 40K per month. 2/ 400K in the bank 2 months prior to application day validated by bank letter. 3/ Letter from bank stating 40K transfered to Thai bank Monthly.

If your home country's Bangkok embassy still issues income confirmation letters you only need 1/. 2/ and 3/ are only required for American, Australian and British nationals whose Bangkok embassies no longer issue income confirmations.  

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

If your home country's Bangkok embassy still issues income confirmation letters you only need 1/. 2/ and 3/ are only required for American, Australian and British nationals whose Bangkok embassies no longer issue income confirmations.  

There are much more requirements than 1/ 2/ 3/ mentioned here in order to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage.  I strongly urge anyone needing to know what their local IO requires go spend the time to go to that office well in advance of applying and obtain a list of those requirements.  Immigration offices may have different nuances so don't fall short asking on a forum what an immigration office may require.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:28 PM, longball53098 said:

Just to satisfy my curiosity; based on the subject of this thread, you're here on a series of extensions emanating from your O-A visa (?). So why the questions re extensions based on a Non Imm B visa? Just curiosity -- or is there somewhere in all of this a plan to unhook from the O-A visa (impossible in my analysis)?

As I feared, when I started this topic someone would not see that I asked 2 questions in the OP. Joe got it right from the start. First question was about an OA retirement extension and the second one not related to the first was regarding a non B retirement extension.

Sorry to confuse anyone.