Trans writer Juno Dawson: 'The Spice Girls were my female awakening!'

snoop1130

Trans writer Juno Dawson: 'The Spice Girls were my female awakening!'

By Claire Armitstead

1741.jpg

‘I had awful relationships, I really put myself at risk’ … Juno Dawson. Photograph: Rachel Adams

Alice dyes her hair blue and has an “active, app-based sex life with married men from outlying commuter towns”.

This is not how heroines in young adult novels usually describe themselves, but then Alice is no ordinary heroine.

She’s a 17-year-old pupil at an elite girls’ school, “an angry child’s crayon sketch of a human girl” whose self-harming is a cry of rage against what she perceives as a cosmic injustice: “Some lazy angel, desperate for a fag break, scribbled the wrong gender on my destiny forms.”

Before long, author Juno Dawson has whisked her heroine down a rabbit hole for an adventure that is both a retelling of Alice in Wonderland and an investigation of what might constitute reality in a society where money, power and celebrity are swept up in an ever crazier whirl of gossip, cocaine and cosmetics. 

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/11/juno-dawson-trans-alice-wonderland-interview-spice-girls

No interest in reading the article, but I loathed the Spice Girls. I discovered Bkk gogos just when they got popular and was forced to listen to their vile caterwauling if i wanted to be in a gogo as all were playing their horrid noise. Just reading the name raises my blood pressure.

I was ecstatic when they went completely loopy and sacked their manager, following which monumental error they vanished from earshot. They were so stupid they believed the propaganda and thought they had enough talent to make it without him.