Certificate of Residence + Driving License

Hi All,

Quick question. I live in KK, Isaan. I'm currently on a METV which will expire in 3 days (atleast I will be over my first 90 day stay - visa is valid until feb 2021). I'm also in the process of buying a new car, and would like a Thai driving license as I have no obtained an international DL prior to leaving the UK.

My question is; Can I obtain a certification of Residence while my visa is (technically) expired? Also, can I obtain a driving license (once they open beginning of June) while I have a technically expired visa?

If they don't allow it, would it be wise to obtain a 60 day extension now, or should I keep my 60 day extension until the end of July to avoid having to travel over the border while everyone does?

Thanks!!

Edited by Eibot

Just now, Tim16 said:

You might need a Non Imm  -O visa to obtain a driving licence and/or certificate of residence. I was refused driving licence at Kalasin when I had a tourist visa.

My apologies, I do have a Non-O MEV based on marriage.

Sorry!

You should ask immigration about getting a residence certificate after your permit stay ends.

It is not clear that the automatic extension will be considered a extension of your entry from a non-o visa.  They may tell you to apply for the 60 day extension.

At this time the Department of Land transport offices are closed which means you cannot apply for a drivers license now.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You should ask immigration about getting a residence certificate after your permit stay ends.

It is not clear that the automatic extension will be considered a extension of your entry from a non-o visa.  They may tell you to apply for the 60 day extension.

At this time the Department of Land transport offices are closed which means you cannot apply for a drivers license now.

Thanks Joe. 

"It is not clear that the automatic extension will be considered a extension of your entry from a non-o visa.  They may tell you to apply for the 60 day extension"

In that case, could I also assume that I might loose my right at an extension after my original entry stay is expired? 

7 minutes ago, Eibot said:

In that case, could I also assume that I might loose my right at an extension after my original entry stay is expired? 

It would best to apply for the 60 day extension before your current 90 day extension ends if they will not issue a certificate of residency during the automatic extension.

Also I am not sure the DLT will accept a drivers licence application with the automatic extension to July 31st.

If you applied for the 60 day extension you could still stay until July 31st.

If this helps now I don't know if it was just the wrong person. On the wrong day. 

Last November took a mate up to KK main licence office he had all relevant documents med cert. Cert of residence pictures everything. 

Refused him as he was on a 60 day extension based on marriage of his Multi entry Non O. Told him he needed a 90 day stamp? 

Did a border run End of November. Went back early December No issue. 

But as I say may have been wrong day. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, Tim16 said:

You might need a Non Imm  -O visa to obtain a driving licence and/or certificate of residence. I was refused driving licence at Kalasin when I had a tourist visa.

You can get a license on a tourist visa. That is for sure unless they practice it different from place to place which I dont think they do. However.. You get two years validity on a tourist visa.. Difference comes on extension after that.. On a tourist visa then you get two new years.. With a non-o or different class visa you would get 5 years. First time is same for everyone regardless of type of Visa. You will even get a driving licence on a exemption stamp which is the 30 days many countries get on arrival. Technically that is not a Visa at all.

I’m on Non-O Retirement initial Thai Drivers License was 2 years and 5 years when renewed. I’m in Udon Thani Province. Without international DL I think you have to take written and driving. Suggest get car and moto (2 different) license at same time.

Might check if you can apply for International Drivers License 

Remotely on Internet. 

21 minutes ago, Mark Gerbert said:

do I need to take any exams?

As you have an International Driving Permit I don't think you will need to take any exams or a driving test.

But you will still need to do a couple of 'checks' (Colour test, Reaction test, Proximity test) and sit the 45min video.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As you have an International Driving Permit I don't think you will need to take any exams or a driving test.

You don't need an international driving licence. You need drivers licence from home country along with certificate of residence etc. 

You will not require driving test.

Edited by DrJack54

49 minutes ago, Mark Gerbert said:

I mean, I have more than 10 years of driving experience in the US, am I still required to take an exam?

LOL  ????... and you think that qualifies you for driving in Thailand.

Before LTO closures I got my 4th driving licence in Buriram.   Still had to do the colour blindness test, braking, spacial awareness etc + sit through a video for an hour or so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark Gerbert said:

I mean, I have more than 10 years of driving experience in the US, am I still required to take an exam?

Yes. Also every time you apply for a new licence every 5 years.

It is not difficult though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark Gerbert said:

do I need to take any exams?

No, if you hold a valid driver's license from the US you do not need to take any written or driving exams. You WILL have to watch a safety video and do a colour (say the correct colour), reaction (press down accelerator and then brake), peripheral vision (say the colour), and distance perception (stop one dowel next to another one)  tests. Every time you extend your license you will watch the video and do the 4 tests (This applies to Thai and foreign nationals alike).

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, ubonjoe said:

Sorry but????? His Visa is valid until 02/2021

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But you will still need to do a couple of 'checks' (Colour test, Reaction test, Proximity test) and sit the 45min video.

the vid, when I renewed my 5 yr licence,  was IN THAI AS WERE THE SUBTITLES......it really is pathetic that a capable DRIVER LIKE I AM had to suffer such garbage !!

Edited by essox essox
wrong spelling
  • Haha 1

first licence is for 1 year then they go to 5 years, I used my aussie licence  and I also had an international licence but they werent interested in that, gave me a car &  bike licence for 1 year direct from my aussie one(car/bike/heavy truck), you do a reflex test, colour test and the string pull test to line up a couple of sticks in a box, the video was only done on my latest 5 year renewal last year, its hopeless and a big joke really, all the thais were too busy playing with their phones,  the video itself is really bad and explains why thais are such bad drivers/riders