No Covid risk from eating cooked pork, beef or chicken: virologist

snoop1130

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

excellent; we all need to be told to cook meat; he must think we are all 8 years old; 15 minutes of fame...

OK, so 'widespread' rumours (I haven't heard any of them) are circulating to the effect that pigs cattle and chicken are vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus. So this genius has debunked the so-called "widespread" rumours, at the same time emphasising the need to cook all meets in order that any virus in the meat should be killed.

Am I the only one that sees a contradiction in terms here? Pigs cattle and chicken are not vulnerable COVID-19, but just in case they are, please cook all the meat.

Another gem.

Edited by ParkerN

4 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

OK, so 'widespread' rumours (I haven't heard any of them) are circulating to the effect that pigs cattle and chicken are vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus. So this genius has debunked the so-called "widespread" rumours, at the same time emphasising the need to cook all meets in order that any virus in the meat should be killed.

Am I the only one that sees a contradiction in terms here? Pigs cattle and chicken are not vulnerable COVID-19, but just in case they are, please cook all the meat.

Another gem.

Tell that Thais up north and Laotians who eat Larb which includes raw meat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

Tell that Thais up north and Laotians who eat Larb which includes raw meat

Indeed they do, and raw fish and much more besides.. But none of that affects my original comment which was to the effect that this genius has "debunked" the rumours that the live animals could be infected, and then goes on to say how important it is to cook the meat, which clearly implies that the rumours are correct.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Correct. 

White Cristmas13 win POTY “Smart Foreigner of Today” award.

Congratulations WC13!!!

European also eat raw meat. Beef Tartare very popular one. 

And Japanese sashimi.

thank you Dr Yong for this important research. Chinese must cooking the bar also.

wear a mask, wash your hand, social distance and cook the meat.

It is outlawed where I live

Is beef tartare dangerous?
The dish, also known as “tiger meat,” or “steak tartare,” is dangerous because it is uncooked, meaning it can still contain harmful bacteria that can cause foodborne illness, which are only killed by cooking ground beef to 160 degrees F. Don't become a statistic this year. Raw meat is never safe to consume
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

It is outlawed where I live

Is beef tartare dangerous?
The dish, also known as “tiger meat,” or “steak tartare,” is dangerous because it is uncooked, meaning it can still contain harmful bacteria that can cause foodborne illness, which are only killed by cooking ground beef to 160 degrees F. Don't become a statistic this year. Raw meat is never safe to consume

Eating meat or fish uncooked is dangerous and primitive. Which is why most developed societies do it rarely if at all and most primates don't do it at all, setting aside the reactionaries and trend-setters (forerunners of the present-day wokely-folkely). Find a social anthropoligist and ask him/her why and how humanoids began cooking food prior to eating.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Sushi?

Steak tartar?

Yes to both, but I'm not sure of your point... perhaps to suggest that aficionados of sushi and/or steak tartare aren't primitive? In which case I think we'll have to agree to differ.

11 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Freezing also kills nasty stuff... 

So always freeze fish and defrost before eating it as sashimi.. Sashimi is my favourite ????

Some TVF give lot of wrong information. 

The virus can survive for at least one month at low temperatures. Other viruses can survive for more than two years. For this reason, common food preservation measures, such as freezing and refrigeration, will not substantially reduce the concentration of virus in contaminated meat or kill the virus.

Cornishcarlos have restaurant right? 

Must be careful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

So always freeze fish and defrost before eating it as sashimi.. Sashimi is my favourite ????

That is a potentially dangerous misconception that I've known for many years.

https://www.healthyfood.com/advice/can-freezing-your-food-kill-coronavirus-/

13 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Just to clarify, I was referring to the parasites, as the nasty stuff, that are often found in large pelagic fish commonly used for sashimi. 

Some people have jumped on my post as incorrect, when it's not incorrect. But my bad for not identifying the "nasties" I was referring to.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr Yong dismissed such fears as groundless, but said operators of slaughterhouses and meat-processing plants should be on the alert for any signs of Covid-19 infection in workers.

Meanwhile in Germany ...

The chancellor imposed an "emergency brake", requiring local authorities to reimpose restrictions if cases rise above a threshold of 50 per 100,000 people.

Outbreaks at meat processing plants in the states of North Rhine-Westphalia and Schleswig-Holstein have already reportedly breached that line, and forced district officials to act.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52632369

And in the US ..

According to a report released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 5,000 plant workers in 19 states had tested positive for the virus as of April 27. In Iowa and South Dakota, close to a fifth of the workforce in the states’ largest slaughterhouses have fallen ill.

Source:  https://www.wired.com/story/why-meatpacking-plants-have-become-covid-19-hot-spots/

Other countries such as Ireland, Spain, Australia, Brazil, Canada and the UK – are also experiencing problems in meat processing plants.

Looks like Dr Yong ain't so wrong.

• Like 1