Tank repaint

AllanB

Plan on changing the colour of my tank and really like this. http://www.bonnefication.com/macco-motors-saint/

Thought first of wrapping, but the local company don't seem to interested in small jobs, they are busy on wrapping trucks. Looking at a spray job, I remember a local company who did a real orange peel job on a tank on a mate's bike and while I know it can be cut back, if they were worth their salt they would have done it.

So first of all does anyone know a decent company in Khon Kaen, failing that can anyone suggest a decnt brand of spray paint. I have an airconditioned shed so can maintain a good temperature and no dust.

Or does anyone know of another wrapping company in KK other than EAK Stickers. I was told the wrap material is okay with petrol, any comments there?

Or I guess I could ship it??

Cheers

Tank re-spray easy where I live 400 - 500 baht, where you live just ask the locals.

Again as above where I live just find what decals (stickers) you want on images google and they can be produced. 

Edited by Kwasaki

Spray painting requires skill and is a lot of work to do. Paint does not forgive amateur mistakes. It is easy to end up with Orange peel or runs. Preparation of surface and masking up are important if you expect to get a good finish.

Small areas like a bike gas tank can be done with an aerosol, but why bother when your local spray shop can do it for you cheaply. Problem is, Thais are often good at spraying but useless on preparation, which often results in the paint lifting or cracking later. They have a habit of wet sanding filler and spraying over it before it has dried out, resulting in later shrinkage. Basically your Thai is in a hurry and paint requires time and endless patience!

Another Thai habit is covering entire panels with body filler, (commonly known in the trade as pudding). Once the whole panel is covered you have lost sight of your panel line, result is a panel that looks like a wave in the ocean.

It should be done in a purpose built spray booth with air extraction so you don't inhale the fumes which are bad for your lungs. Booth must be clean to avoid dust getting on paint. Small stuff, like a gas tank, can be done outdoors, you just polish the dust and bugs out later!

It is immensely pleasing when you get it right, drives you insane when it goes wrong.

Roadrunner's own car in spray booth. About the only use I have ever had for Thai newspapers!

20160111_171431.jpg

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 2