New passport

I will be getting a new Aussie passport soon, current pp has a non immigrant multi o visa, permission to stay 15th April 2020, visa expires 25th June. Can I take both passports to a land border prior to June 25th (assuming the borders open), and get a fresh 3 month stamp in the new passport? Or, if I don't do a run and leave after the current Amnesty ends on 31st July, what will happen at the border if say I go to savannahket to apply for a new non imm o visa?

Whatever you do all you need to do when leaving the country is to show both passports on departure from the country. They will transfer your current entry stamp in the old passport  to the new one and then stamp you out of the country.

On entry to the country if your visa is still valid you would show the old passport on entry to use the visa in it for entry.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

On entry to the country if your visa is still valid you would show the old passport on entry to use the visa in it for entry.

Does this also apply if I get my new passport in my home country and the issuing office invalidates the old passport (which has visa and re-entry permit in it)?

So I can show the new passport and the old, invalidated passport (with visa in it) when entering Thailand - and immigration will stamp me in according to the visa in the old passport?

1 hour ago, uhuh said:

Does this also apply if I get my new passport in my home country and the issuing office invalidates the old passport (which has visa and re-entry permit in it)?

So I can show the new passport and the old, invalidated passport (with visa in it) when entering Thailand - and immigration will stamp me in according to the visa in the old passport?

It sounds like you have an extension, not a Visa, but yes present both Passports and Immigration will stamp you in until your existing permission of stay validity.

You should then visit your local Immigration office to have your stamps transferred to your new Passport.

31 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It sounds like you have an extension, not a Visa, but yes present both Passports and Immigration will stamp you in until your existing permission of stay validity.

You should then visit your local Immigration office to have your stamps transferred to your new Passport.

Is a visit to an immigration office necessary in my case (op), or will this all be done at the border?

6 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

Is a visit to an immigration office necessary in my case (op), or will this all be done at the border?

You can do everything when you leave the country.

If you went an immigration office they would probably turn you away and tell you do it when you leave the country.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:25 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can do everything when you leave the country.

If you went an immigration office they would probably turn you away and tell you do it when you leave the country.

And this is the case at land borders, in particular Nong Khai and Mukdahan?

On 5/13/2020 at 8:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

Whatever you do all you need to do when leaving the country is to show both passports on departure from the country. They will transfer your current entry stamp in the old passport  to the new one and then stamp you out of the country.

On entry to the country if your visa is still valid you would show the old passport on entry to use the visa in it for entry

Just on this, the Aussie embassy will not invalidate the old passport if you need to travel while the new pp is being processed. I assume they invalidate the old passport when the new one is collected. Even if the old passport is 'cut' ie, made invalid can one still use it at the borders to have stamps transferred into the new pp? My understanding was this MUST be done at immigration chaeng wattana, after the Australian embassy gives me a letter of permission saying 'please transfer stamps from old passport to new passport'.

Edited by johnny1966

9 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

Just on this, the Aussie embassy will not invalidate the old passport if you need to travel while the new pp is being processed.

If you want your new passport mailed to you they will cancel your old passport. If not they will cancel it when you pick up the new one.

Even if the old passport is 'cut' ie, made invalid can one still use it at the borders to have stamps transferred into the new pp?

Yes

You show both the old and new passport to immigration when departing the country. They will transfer the entry stamp in the old passport to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

My understanding was this MUST be done at immigration chaeng wattana, after the Australian embassy gives me a letter of permission saying 'please transfer stamps from old passport to new passport'.

That is only required if you have a long stay extension of stay.

If you only have a visa entry it is not required and some immigration offices will turn you away and tell you to do it on departure from the country.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you want your new passport mailed to you they will cancel your old passport. If not they will cancel it when you pick up the new one.

Yes

You show both the old and new passport to immigration when departing the country. They will transfer the entry stamp in the old passport to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

That is only required if you have a long stay extension of stay.

If you only have a visa entry it is not required and some immigration offices will turn you away and tell you to do it on departure from the country.

Thanks. So in the case of a non immigrant O visa a trip to cw is not needed. All done at border.