Can you ride out the pandemic?

7 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

A three month pandemic? This sh*t is going to effect people who need international travel to make income (like myself) for AT LEAST a year. You managed to make a whole career and retirement without having to face such a thing. 

Yep......... at least 4 recessions in that time, 2 divorces, a couple of times when liabilities exceeded assets and several times when 4 days before payday the choice was food or a packet of fags.  I don't recall whingeing once - and I certainly never tried to blame or burden others with my mistakes and failings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The empathy was lost when he claimed that his life has been destroyed for my benefit................................... my original reply was going to start with "I m sorry for your situation...." until I read his last paragraph.

Point taken. I can't see too many people being beneficiaries of the virus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Absolutely no difference to me. Everything is the same as its always been. 

Daily routine is the same. Food easily available. Dont see any catastrophe on the horizon, same old same old.

We dont all have such a relaxing life as you obviously do. Myself living in the suberbs of Pattaya it feels strange. My trips into town for the gym 3 times a week have stopped. As have visits to the cinema and visits to the once thriving nightlife have stopped. I should today be on a plane back to the UK for 4 months to see the family, but that has been cancelled like everything else. I must admit though that I am saving a fortune.

Just now, hotandsticky said:

Yep......... at least 4 recessions in that time, 2 divorces, a couple of times when liabilities exceeded assets and several times when 4 days before payday the choice was food or a packet of fags.  I don't recall whingeing once - and I certainly never tried to blame or burden others with my mistakes and failings.

Good thing the virus didn't hit you when you were deciding between food and a packet of fags, otherwise you'd be singing a different tune. 

Luck, not your exceptional ethics, spared you from the brunt of this pandemic. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Football is Australian Rules, the rest is played by people with advanced diving skills, or possessing very thick necks.

AFL is aerial ping pong or advanced force em backs. And you get a point for missing. Only sport that gives points for missing.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Point taken. I can't see too many people being beneficiaries of the virus.

Indeed - and do have huge sympathy for many people who's lives have been devastated by this. 

It gives me no satisfaction to say that I am one of the few beneficiaries of the virus...... in all honesty I wish that were not the case.

3 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Good thing the virus didn't hit you when you were deciding between food and a packet of fags, otherwise you'd be singing a different tune. 

Luck, not your exceptional ethics, spared you from the brunt of this pandemic. 

Absolutely wrong.

8 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

AFL is aerial ping pong or advanced force em backs. And you get a point for missing. Only sport that gives points for missing.

You get an extra stroke for missing a putt.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Football is Australian Rules, the rest is played by people with advanced diving skills, or possessing very thick necks.

Really?  Then why has the rest of the world not embraced this "Super Sport" All I see is cheating. Forward passes, knock ons, offsides all go unpunished! And, if you want an even worse  version of this "Super Sport" try watching the women's version!

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Absolutely wrong.

Compelling argument. Fact remains most people take loans to buy homes and it takes a while to gain capital - years - and if things happen just at the right moment they are decimated. 

You managed to escape a once in a 100 year pandemic, thats got nothing to do with your ethics and everything to do with luck. Same with me, pure luck I didn't expend my savings moving back home - otherwise Id be ruined. I can sit here for a couple years in boredom if necessary, but there's going to be alot that can't. 

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nothing has been done for my benefit ............

At 65 quite happy to take my chances against an imaginary pandemic.

I welcome death, but with only a 0.01% death rate in the worst affected countries, ain't holding my breath while waiting for it to come. 

I think it was Stalin who said millions of deaths are just a statistic. I believe the relatives of the 85,000 who have died in the US would disagree with your imaginary description.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, eyup said:

Really?  Then why has the rest of the world not embraced this "Super Sport" All I see is cheating. Forward passes, knock ons, offsides all go unpunished! And, if you want an even worse  version of this "Super Sport" try watching the women's version!

I do hope your indignation has not caused you to choke on your morning coffee. Me, I'm still trying to understand the logic of the offside rule.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

How are your plans for coping with the present situation working?

Retired, don't need to fly anywhere, my life goes on very much as always.   Havent stopped enjoying time together with a few select others, haven't run out of food or libations.  The closed swimming pool at our condo is the only bummer at this point.  ????????

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

Compelling argument. Fact remains most people take loans to buy homes and it takes a while to gain capital - years - and if things happen just at the right moment they are decimated. 

You managed to escape a once in a 100 year pandemic, thats got nothing to do with your ethics and everything to do with luck. Same with me, pure luck I didn't expend my savings moving back home - otherwise Id be ruined. I can sit here for a couple years in boredom if necessary, but there's going to be alot that can't. 

I don't call what you have done "luck". YOU created your protection by prudent planning and decisions.

I fully agree that a different time and different situation the pandemic would have had severe implications. It is not my fault that, in my 60's, I have lucked my way in to a secure position that protects me from the likes of the current situation. 

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

Retired, don't need to fly anywhere, my life goes on very much as always.   Havent stopped enjoying time together with a few select others, haven't run out of food or libations.  The closed swimming pool at our condo is the only bummer at this point.  ????????

Same same, I love my swimming. I do need to get back to Australia in November, hoping some semblance of normalcy will have taken hold by then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm estimating I need at least a year's expenses in ready cash to cover contingencies arising from the coronavirus.

Are you predicting Banks will go bankrupt and close? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monomial said:

No income for the foreseeable future. Not paying the mortgage right now, and the bank has decided not to press for 3 months. No idea what is going to happen at the end of that period. I need the borders to reopen without quarantines in order to start earning again.

Out of cash and no idea how I will make the 400k for the next extension of stay. Will likely be forced out of the country after 20+ years living here. Can't take the family as we have nowhere to go. I will be forcibly separated from my family until I can somehow reestablish a life somewhere else.

No. These ill conceived global shutdowns championed by the WHO have taken everything from me and left me essentially bankrupt. I won't be riding anything out. Those of you who are retired with guranteed income and have been the beneficiaries of this virus should remember those of us who had our lives destroyed for your benefit.

That sucks, like you i am not an OAP and been here 15 years came here in my 30ies. I am lucky my business is good might even get better. 

I find your comments about blaming others for the lockdown because they are old not really nice. Its not as if they asked for a lockdown. Its just the sensible thing to do don't want people dying as flies. Still something has to be done to open up stuff in future. But so far all the times they opened up stuff it got worse again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't call what you have done "luck". YOU created your protection by prudent planning and decisions.

Uh, 4 months ago nobody had any idea this was going to be a global pandemic that caused the globe to shutdown. If Id have done what I was planning 4 months ago with the available information at the time I would be ruined. Its just luck. 

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I fully agree that a different time and different situation the pandemic would have had severe implications. It is not my fault that, in my 60's, I have lucked my way in to a secure position that protects me from the likes of the current situation. 

Not your fault, no, but you escaping it is luck of the draw. And hopefully the world recovers quickly and your position does not devalue and inflation ruins you. Because thats a very real possibility if we dont rebound fairly quickly. 

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I bought my first house and paid off the mortgage within 18 months. Saying that to today's generation, they look at me as if I have grown two heads.

On the other hand, I was in two relationships in Australia. A frigid woman, and a thieving woman. I'd be a multi-millionaire in AUD without the drag of those two. We all make good and bad decisions.

I'm starting to agree with Dr. Samuel Johnson's observation on the pursuit of women as the expense is damnable, the position ridiculous, and the pleasure fleeting. Although I will say my Thai GF has been one of my better life choices.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Are you predicting Banks will go bankrupt and close? 

No. I do have some money squirrelled into gold and platinum. Shareholders in banks will be affected because they will be reducing or cancelling dividends to conserve capital, as there will be a tidal wave of defaulting mortgages. I don't think depositors will be affected to the same extent.

I sold every bank share I owned in February. Maybe I was lucky, just had an uncomfortable feeling about them. Took a loss, but nothing like what it would be now.

Edited by Lacessit

I/we are riding it out just fine, given that my retired (ex-Army) pension was designed to support one person, not three. Wouldn't have it any other way though - 20 years married to a Thai - we both should get a medal of some sort ! I agree with you Lacessit, I love AFL but as I'm a life-long Carlton supporter, the last 25 years have been lean, to say the least. When hit with the "you get a point for missing" thing, I always respond with "toughest game in the world - no other type of footy makes you play for two hours a game" ! I like reading your comments too Colin, plus I also like rugby - took the missus to the world rugby sevens in Chiangmai about 15 years ago, - she loved it. If there is nothing else, I like soccer too and am a lifetime supporter of Liverpool. Waited 40 odd years and then Covid comes along and robs us/me. As someone else said they are all football - just friendly rivalry between codes. As for Covid 19, my 98 y.o. ex WW11 fighter- pilot dad says "the chinks have a lot to answer for." He thinks the whole world should declare war on them but at his age, I suppose it would be exciting. He is going bonkers on his own during lockdown (pi**ed every day). 

4 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

I/we are riding it out just fine, given that my retired (ex-Army) pension was designed to support one person, not three. Wouldn't have it any other way though - 20 years married to a Thai - we both should get a medal of some sort ! I agree with you Lacessit, I love AFL but as I'm a life-long Carlton supporter, the last 25 years have been lean, to say the least. When hit with the "you get a point for missing" thing, I always respond with "toughest game in the world - no other type of footy makes you play for two hours a game" ! I like reading your comments too Colin, plus I also like rugby - took the missus to the world rugby sevens in Chiangmai about 15 years ago, - she loved it. If there is nothing else, I like soccer too and am a lifetime supporter of Liverpool. Waited 40 odd years and then Covid comes along and robs us/me. As someone else said they are all football - just friendly rivalry between codes. As for Covid 19, my 98 y.o. ex WW11 fighter- pilot dad says "the chinks have a lot to answer for." He thinks the whole world should declare war on them but at his age, I suppose it would be exciting. He is going bonkers on his own during lockdown (pi**ed every day). 

You have my respect as someone who has served his country. It's diminished a bit by the fact I am a Collingwood supporter.

To get by thus far, I've relied upon:

1) Tapping into savings

2) Whipping out the Visa

3) Wife sold her gold necklace

4) The Donald Trump Stimulus

5) Thanks Mom ❤️

Now I expect to finally get paid at the end of the month. But it'll be reduced due to limited online teaching. We just had to move near BKK for this job. The three months advance rent for a condo was a real killer. We also spent some time up with the in-laws and other fam, and I was helping them out as well.

If you got a degree, I'd say look into teaching. It's a buyer's market right now. Many farangs left and no one else can come in right now. The future of Thailand needs you. ???? My school still has a few openings, and thus they want me to take on extra classes when the kids supposedly come back in July.

Geez Lacessit, your life in Oz mirrors mine a lot. I paid off 2 houses in ten years - then I came home and found the ex bonking some thick, uneducated and totally broke loser. I lost one house and had to buy the second one again, in order to pay her off. She and the turd lost the lot. I chuckle when my son from that marriage (who incidentally adores his half-Thai sister) told me they are both now nearly 70 and are in debt for a quarter mil $AUD mortgage. She will be stu**ed when he dies, as they live on his pension. Yeh, it could be a lot worse. Gotta go, my lunch is getting cold. I got a BBQ pork strip (moo-ping) at the local supermarket here in Oz - for $10 (200 baht). Missus nearly had a fit ! You know ... blah blah "you can get about 8 for that price in LOS etc etc."  ('But darling, we can't go to LOS at the moment') ....

That's OK Lacessit, given your age you will remember that Carlton gave Peter McKenna a run in a Grand Final in the early 70's after Collingwood sacked him, when he lost a kidney after being struck and they were scared of it happening again. Carlton took him on - they just put in the contract that 'no pay for kidney damage' clause. He kicked the winning goal in that game for Carlton and they won the Premiership, against Collingwood ! What a star he was, for both clubs.

46 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think it was Stalin who said millions of deaths are just a statistic. I believe the relatives of the 85,000 who have died in the US would disagree with your imaginary description.

Thai way .........

I've never met them, they aren't related to me, why should I care about them?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I sold every bank share I owned in February.

I have been selling off gradually since last October... sold off the last of it in early March - some losses but glad to get out early... the problem is that the cash earns near nothing now... but as to original question, nothing different for me... I don't budget... 

ps - I also bought my first few houses w/a mortgage and paid them off quickly.

Edited by kenk24