Can you ride out the pandemic?

1 minute ago, Aussiepeter said:

Geez Lacessit, your life in Oz mirrors mine a lot. I paid off 2 houses in ten years - then I came home and found the ex bonking some thick, uneducated and totally broke loser. I lost one house and had to buy the second one again, in order to pay her off. She and the turd lost the lot. I chuckle when my son from that marriage (who incidentally adores his half-Thai sister) told me they are both now nearly 70 and are in debt for a quarter mil $AUD mortgage. She will be stu**ed when he dies, as they live on his pension. Yeh, it could be a lot worse. Gotta go, my lunch is getting cold. I got a BBQ pork strip (moo-ping) at the local supermarket here in Oz - for $10 (200 baht). Missus nearly had a fit ! You know ... blah blah "you can get about 8 for that price in LOS etc etc."  ('But darling, we can't go to LOS at the moment') ....

Same, my ex-Brit-schoolteacher wife was banging the gardener ....... only lost one house but it was a 600,000GBP house.

But hey,

it's not all that bad ....... if mine hadn't done the gardener, I'd still be hearing, "I'm not in the mood" from a 63 year old woman.

Now,

I'm being forced to ride out the pandemic in Chiang Mai with a Thai lady nearly half that age in my bed.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Same, my ex-Brit-schoolteacher wife was banging the gardener ....... only lost one house but it was a 600,000GBP house.

But hey, it's not all that bad ....... if mine hadn't done the gardener, I'd still be hearing, "I'm not in the mood" by a 63 year old woman.

you had proof of that?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Dental clinics are closed. With lost fillings, either I make it through to when they re-open, or am carried into a hospital screaming in pain when abscesses form. Just a personal problem in riding out the lockdown.

I would check around more. Our clinics are passing routine checkups and non emergency appointments but are performing “emergency procedures by appointment fwiw.  

As far as riding this out we are doing ok. In fact my UK savings are increasing each month, mainly due to the fact that pre and post covid life in the village is much the same. No bars or restaurants to close, no massage places (which is a bit of a turd) and far from anywhere to spend money.

Savings are mainly coming from the fact that we can no longer take our monthly trip to somewhere nice.

2 private pensions and a rental income in the UK means I should be ok, but my biggest worry is the Baht/GBP exchange rate. I normally transfer funds as I need them but when this kicked off I brought over 100k Baht in February. Not touched any of it.

Edited by Saltire

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Now,

I'm being forced to ride out the pandemic in Chiang Mai with a Thai lady nearly half that age in my bed.

It's a tough job, but some of us just have to do it. Didn't you say she was getting too porky?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Uh, 4 months ago nobody had any idea this was going to be a global pandemic that caused the globe to shutdown. If Id have done what I was planning 4 months ago with the available information at the time I would be ruined. Its just luck. 

Not your fault, no, but you escaping it is luck of the draw. And hopefully the world recovers quickly and your position does not devalue and inflation ruins you. Because thats a very real possibility if we dont rebound fairly quickly. 

A bit like Gary Player was quoted as saying after being called lucky....................the more I practice, and the harder I work, the luckier I get.

I suppose owning a crematorium in the current situation does fall into the lucky bracket.......... but that could have lost me £100,00 if the investment had gone the wrong way.

19 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

That's OK Lacessit, given your age you will remember that Carlton gave Peter McKenna a run in a Grand Final in the early 70's after Collingwood sacked him, when he lost a kidney after being struck and they were scared of it happening again. Carlton took him on - they just put in the contract that 'no pay for kidney damage' clause. He kicked the winning goal in that game for Carlton and they won the Premiership, against Collingwood ! What a star he was, for both clubs.

My allegiance to Collingwood was an act of rebellion. I was a scholarship holder in a private college, and scholarship holders were looked down upon by the students whose parents were paying. Most were dyed-in-the-wool establishment Melbourne supporters.

The leadup to the 1958 Grand Final could not have been worse for Collingwood. Norm Smith was at his coaching peak, one of Collingwood's best players was out injured, and they had taken a drubbing from Melbourne in a preliminary final. I had saved money from caddying, and there was a fair amount of betting going on, with odds on offer against Collingwood. I took every bet I could afford, and no doubt the privileged types thought I was an idiot.

All that changed in the second quarter when Murray Weideman crunched a pack, Melbourne forgot about playing football, and concentrated on evening up. The rest is history. I really enjoyed collecting my winnings, 7 pounds was a lot of money at that time.

I still think John Nicholls was one of the most formidable presences on a football field ever, and Anthony Koutifides was a freak. And didn't Rhys-Jones have a temper on him? Think he still holds the record for tribunal appearances.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Not a cheerful prospect, perhaps arguing on TV is one of your few forms of recreation. I wish you well.

Certainly was my only contact with other people for the past 49 days of lockdown. I don't count a couple of minutes of chat with strangers while in the q at the supermarket once a week.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

But is she pretty? Photos needed to verify.

According to BMT, she was DDG before she got into hausfrau mode. Wish you luck with getting photos, he's not into sharing.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

According to BMT, she was DDG before she got into hausfrau mode. Wish you luck with getting photos, he's not into sharing.

LOL. No one on an anonymous forum is going to admit to shagging a less than DDG burd.

Reminds me of the time a mate of mine was in LOS for his holidays. When he came back he raved about the beautiful girls he'd had. He had his snaps developed in the UK and asked me to deliver copies to the beloveds on my next trip. Being curious I had a look and my goodness they were so ugly that I felt sorry for him. Not that I let him know that though. Poor guy.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Dental clinics are closed. With lost fillings, either I make it through to when they re-open, or am carried into a hospital screaming in pain when abscesses form. Just a personal problem in riding out the lockdown.

I have just been to a dentist here on the Darkside, Pattaya, to my knowledge they never closed. 

2 minutes ago, AtlasAus said:

I have just been to a dentist here on the Darkside, Pattaya, to my knowledge they never closed. 

As i am in Chiang Rai, that information isn't really useful to me. Take a Mintie for trying.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think it was Stalin who said millions of deaths are just a statistic. I believe the relatives of the 85,000 who have died in the US would disagree with your imaginary description.

Except just a fraction of those have actually been killed BY Covid19. If you have been following whats been going on you would know the US government has said any person showing "Covid19 like symptoms" can be put in the statistics, even if they havent been tested. People that have been tested for Covid19 and showed positive but died of other ailments have also been put into that statistics.

Hopefully they will clean up the numbers.

Covid19's mortality rate is 0,01% for the majority of the population. The average age of "death by Covid19" is ABOVE the average life expectancy in the US.

Covid19 has been a similar rubbish pandemic hypetrain as Swineflu 10 years ago. Hopefully governments around the world will be honest enough to start reverting the draconian restrictions imposed because of this.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As i am in Chiang Rai, that information isn't really useful to me. Take a Mintie for trying.

Have you not tried the hospitals? They should be open for emergency dental treatment.

Have you tried to get first aid fillings from the pharmacies? They are do it yourself fillings till can see a proper dentist.

2 minutes ago, RobbyXNorway said:

Except just a fraction of those have actually been killed BY Covid19. If you have been following whats been going on you would know the US government has said any person showing "Covid19 like symptoms" can be put in the statistics, even if they havent been tested. People that have been tested for Covid19 and showed positive but died of other ailments have also been put into that statistics.

Hopefully they will clean up the numbers.

Covid19's mortality rate is 0,01% for the majority of the population. The average age of "death by Covid19" is ABOVE the average life expectancy in the US.

Covid19 has been a similar rubbish pandemic hypetrain as Swineflu 10 years ago. Hopefully governments around the world will be honest enough to start reverting the draconian restrictions imposed because of this.

You may be right. I myself am sceptical of Thailand's claim to have only 112 active cases in a nation of 80 million people.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Have you not tried the hospitals? They should be open for emergencies.

Yes, I have tried the hospitals, but I can't be classed as an emergency until I am screaming in pain. I'd prefer to be treated before I get to that stage. I'm up against Thai logic.

• Like 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Yes, I have tried the hospitals, but I can't be classed as an emergency until I am screaming in pain. I'd prefer to be treated before I get to that stage. I'm up against Thai logic.

In your place I'd be screaming in pain when I approached the admissions desk then. How good an actor are you?

1 hour ago, robblok said:

That sucks, like you i am not an OAP and been here 15 years came here in my 30ies. I am lucky my business is good might even get better. 

I find your comments about blaming others for the lockdown because they are old not really nice. Its not as if they asked for a lockdown. Its just the sensible thing to do don't want people dying as flies. Still something has to be done to open up stuff in future. But so far all the times they opened up stuff it got worse again. 

I do wonder about the logic of worldwide shutdowns that no economy can sustain for more than a few months? When we open up the virus will still be circulating in populations without herd immunity. You inflict enormous economic damage only to open up and start the whole routine once again. 

I think it would have been more sensible to focus on prevention by isolating key risk groups but essentially allowing life and commerce to go on. After a while the virus will have less impact and over time we’ll  have medical solutions that limit it’s impact. 

The world’s approach simply destroys economic life whilst increasing the death numbers, which are spread over a longer time stretch and worsened by the devastating economic impact. 

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

In your place I'd be screaming in pain when I approached the admissions desk then. How good an actor are you?

It's a catch 22. If I am screaming in pain, then the dentist would assume abscess, and proceed immediately to extraction.

Not a very good actor anyway.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AlexRich said:

I do wonder about the logic of worldwide shutdowns that no economy can sustain for more than a few months? When we open up the virus will still be circulating in populations without herd immunity. You inflict enormous economic damage only to open up and start the whole routine once again. 

I think it would have been more sensible to focus on prevention by isolating key risk groups but essentially allowing life and commerce to go on. After a while the virus will have less impact and over time we’ll  have medical solutions that limit it’s impact. 

The world’s approach simply destroys economic life whilst increasing the death numbers, which are spread over a longer time stretch and worsened by the devastating economic impact. 

That's the Swedish solution, though it seems that at the moment every life is sacred. Even the oldest and most likely to die must be saved though millions will be put into poverty to do so. When they die anyway, of their underlying health problems, will it still have been worth it?

On the news a 103 year old has recovered from Corona.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. I myself am sceptical of Thailand's claim to have only 112 active cases in a nation of 80 million people.

It's still miniscule to the road carnage going on here every day, and where probably 80% if not more are entirely avoidable if people had been given the necessary skills to drive and traffic rules were properly enforced. Nobody has proposed to close all the road to vehicles because of the daily 60 +/-  deaths.

If the death statistics of Thailand for Covid19 are correct, then I am pretty sure that the number of deaths directly and indirectly caused by the shutdown far surpasses these numbers. Suicides, drug overdoses and murders.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's a catch 22. If I am screaming in pain, then the dentist would assume abscess, and proceed immediately to extraction.

Not a very good actor anyway.

Best bet is first aid fillings then. You should also buy antibiotics in the event of an actual abscess. Your friendly pharmacist or google will inform you as to which to buy.