Can you ride out the pandemic?

4 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Private or Government? Mine was private and yes they are open but appointments required. I have a cavity in a back molar I need fixed but Im hoping restrictions lift and I can travel to BKK and get it fixed there. 

Private. Would not make an appointment. Don't call us, we'll call you. Another private hospital clinic was even worse, take medication for pain.

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

it's 50% over

Wish I had a crystal ball too ????

Because truth is we all have a wealth of no idea about what is over & what is about to come

But I hope your ball is right ????

Edited by meechai

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Absolutely no difference to me. Everything is the same as its always been. 

Daily routine is the same. Food easily available. Dont see any catastrophe on the horizon, same old same old.

I think i am actually saving money.. if only there was not such a thing as grab food.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tonray said:

I'm saving about 12,500 baht per month on daily expenses...grocery shopping once a week...but staying at home all day has shown me how truly inadequate the house is for true comfort....so spending those savings and more on improvements to make it more comfortable.

Extension of privacy wall in back so I don't have to see family cooking outside and they keep their door wide open and have no curtains. 10K baht

Sun/Rain Polycarbonate awning for back patio area to prevent the rain from washing away the patio underlayment and provide shade

15K baht

Garden Materials....to beautify the yard area: Pots/Plants/etc: 5K baht

Home office / ManCave area: to have a place for my guitar gear/and a relaxing place to go downstairs when GF is watching her absurd Thai videos on the TV: 20K baht

Savings for 2 months lockdown: $25,000 baht

Improvements for livability:       $50,000 baht

Eeek....I'm down $25,000 baht...

Yea i invested some extra money too. Bigger TV, soundbar under the TV. Old TV 55 inch goes to bedroom. Got an extra VR set.. I always had good comfort in my home as i work from home. Still there are other things to improve upon if i wanted it. Just not ready to have construction crews in my home again. 

• Like 1

We were already spending down our reserves to improve the quality of our assets when this hit, not so good timing. But the projects can be slowed a crawl and luckily everyone is still paying their rent so far, because there is a moratorium on evictions. 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

For some reason my 401K, which took a hit back in March when this hit hard, and was down considerably, is now back up and over where it was before the downturn.  I am kind of shocked actually to have it in the situation it is.  Was thinking of moving it into safer options like a money market account but then who the F knows...

Some commentators say it's false confidence in the US economy. Look at unemployment, 30m? might be a good time to move to safer options

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Savings for 2 months lockdown: $25,000 baht

Improvements for livability:       $50,000 baht

Eeek....I'm down $25,000 baht...

Amortising capital expenditure over 2 months is probably unrealistic.

4 minutes ago, Monomial said:

No income for the foreseeable future. Not paying the mortgage right now, and the bank has decided not to press for 3 months. No idea what is going to happen at the end of that period. I need the borders to reopen without quarantines in order to start earning again.

Out of cash and no idea how I will make the 400k for the next extension of stay. Will likely be forced out of the country after 20+ years living here. Can't take the family as we have nowhere to go. I will be forcibly separated from my family until I can somehow reestablish a life somewhere else.

No. These ill conceived global shutdowns championed by the WHO have taken everything from me and left me essentially bankrupt. I won't be riding anything out. Those of you who are retired with guranteed income and have been the beneficiaries of this virus should remember those of us who had our lives destroyed for your benefit.

Sorry for your situation. You are in the hospitality sector relying on tourists? Where you based?

25 minutes ago, meechai said:

Wish I had a crystal ball too ????

Because truth is we all have a wealth of no idea about what is over & what is about to come

But I hope your ball is right ????

Most countries open up most things in July.

9 minutes ago, Monomial said:

No income for the foreseeable future. Not paying the mortgage right now, and the bank has decided not to press for 3 months. No idea what is going to happen at the end of that period. I need the borders to reopen without quarantines in order to start earning again.

Out of cash and no idea how I will make the 400k for the next extension of stay. Will likely be forced out of the country after 20+ years living here. Can't take the family as we have nowhere to go. I will be forcibly separated from my family until I can somehow reestablish a life somewhere else.

No. These ill conceived global shutdowns championed by the WHO have taken everything from me and left me essentially bankrupt. I won't be riding anything out. Those of you who are retired with guranteed income and have been the beneficiaries of this virus should remember those of us who had our lives destroyed for your benefit.

for your next extension just do the agent 12,500 baht method, easier in these times than the 400k

Edited by scubascuba3

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think i am actually saving money.. if only there was not such a thing as grab food.

I fetch my own food from the restaurants. I don't like to think about the hygiene of a Grab scooter rider who handles dozens of meals a day.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Boredom? How on earth can you be bored?

You got all us old farts on here to keep your spirits up,:cheesy:

What more could anybody need?????

A warm and willing female?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

I fetch my own food from the restaurants. I don't like to think about the hygiene of a Grab scooter rider who handles dozens of meals a day.

I think your paranoid (sorry to put it this way). Your idea is not logical at all. Or at least not at the places i order food. Where i order food the seller places it in a container, and bag and the scooter rider only touches the bag. I don't see much harm coming from that. But that is just me. 

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Football

Bars

Restaurants

Massages

Holidays

Hate football ( rugby fan)

Dont drink

Cannot get in restaurants

No feeling, so whats the point of massage

Going on holiday would be a logistical nightmare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I think your paranoid (sorry to put it this way). Your idea is not logical at all. Or at least not at the places i order food. Where i order food the seller places it in a container, and bag and the scooter rider only touches the bag. I don't see much harm coming from that. But that is just me. 

At 77, I'm in the highest risk group for COVID-19, so IMO I'm entitled to a little paranoia. No offence taken.

The seller of the food hands the bag to the Grab rider, two people touching the bag before it gets to me instead of one. That Grab rider is probably working for half a dozen restaurants, not just one. It's called cross-contamination.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

If you can't ride out a 3 month pandemic - as hard as that might be - then it questions whether you should be living here on limited means.

A three month pandemic? This sh*t is going to effect people who need international travel to make income (like myself) for AT LEAST a year. You managed to make a whole career and retirement without having to face such a thing. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

rugby is football

Football is Australian Rules, the rest is played by people with advanced diving skills, or possessing very thick necks.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

At 77, I'm in the highest risk group for COVID-19, so IMO I'm entitled to a little paranoia. No offence taken.

The seller of the food hands the bag to the Grab rider, two people touching the bag before it gets to me instead of one. That Grab rider is probably working for half a dozen restaurants, not just one. It's called cross-contamination.

Then you use some plastic gloves when you handle the bag. (for corvid)

But i see your worried about corvid not hygiene. Different ballgame. 

You being outside also carries risks. But sure i get your point if your 77.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Spray the plastic bag with sanitiser when it's handed to you, if you're that worried.

Edited by BritManToo
typo

Just now, BritManToo said:

Spray the plastic bad with sanitiser when it's handed to you, if you're that worried.

I'm not worried at all. I did say I pick up the food myself.