When can we return to Thailand?

1 hour ago, Rod the Sod said:

I really don't care about Tourists entering the country any time soon. That is discretionary travel. What really miffs me is the fact that people who have legally made Thailand their home (married or retired for example) cannot get to their homes and family because they are classed as mere tourists. FGS, if you dish out a retirement visa and actually call it a retirement visa (see stamps in passports) then why cannot these people come back to what is maybe their only home, even if they have to quarantine for a couple of weeks?

This needs fixing now, not in 3/6/12 months time!!

I actually admire what has happened here, but this has definitely slipped through the net.

I have my children here in thailand  and i want to come  in ocotber for stay 6 month with them like every year ; hope i can come 

• Like 1

I think you’ll find that has been changed by recent legislation; wef 1st July, Vietnam visa is now a maximum of 30 days.

Yes. The subject poster wants to come back. Who knows when and how difficult/ costly that might be. I'm here in Thailand. I'm married to a Thai lady. If I leave, and likely I will be obliged to when the amnesty ends, when will I be able to come back, what additional hurdles will there be, will even  my Thai wife who wants to come with me but if she does will only have a limited  permitted stay where we want to go.

At least I'm with my wife, many are separated by this pandemic.

Life has been turned upside down even if still personally and  thankfully free of Covid.

26 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

At least I'm with my wife, many are separated by this pandemic

What's stops you obtaining non o based on marriage (when borders open) and then applying for 12 month extension based on marriage. 

Even do an exit/reentry obtain VE 30 day stamp and obtain non o based on retirement. 

The big question will be what is requirement to re-enter. 

Edited by DrJack54

You are not the only one with this problem.

I have to go back to europe for some time, I use medicine I only can get from there,  but can't take the risk I can't come back.

It is ridiculous, but it is a fact.

However, you'll have to realise, this country is there not for you and me.....

• Like 1

china and south korea are mutually open for some business travelers as of may 01 with covid19 testing max 72 hours prior to flight.  1-2 day quarantine, and restrictions on provinces visited when in china.

covid tests are available from government hospitals in china, cost equivalent ~1000 baht.

https://www.trip.com/travel-restrictions-covid-19/

there are some expat travel health insurance carriers that will cover covid expenses with reasonable premiums.  not sure what sort of written policy that would entail.

response i received from one carrier:

The plans that cover covid-19 are the safe travels plans.  Note that you must pre-certify in the case of covid-19 coverage (that is, you call the insurance company first before seeking testing or treatment).

Safe Travels Outbound Cost Saver will cost $101 and Safe Travels Outbound will cost $118 for three months coverage with same $500,000 maximum and $250 deductible.

To purchase the Safe Travels Outbound Cost Saver plan, use the link below:
https://americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/buy-safe-travels-outbound-cost-saver.asp

To purchase the Safe Travels Outbound plan, use the link below:
https://americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/buy-safe-travels-outbound.asp

Edited by ChouDoufu

3 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

have to go back to europe for some time, I use medicine I only can get from there

This is not a cheap shot. Just curious. Your meds perhaps partially funded from government. Putting that aside, surely your GP with knowledge of your history can prescribe. 

I'm Oz and that's being provided there since Mr Covid visited.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

I think you’ll find that has been changed by recent legislation; wef 1st July, Vietnam visa is now a maximum of 30 days.

Can you post a source. Vietnam has several type of tourist visa and visa exempt. A left field one is 12 month multi only for USA. 

Visa exempt for many countries. Yes realize they stopped issue of all in march. 

As did some border countries to Thailand.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you post a source. Vietnam has several type of tourist visa and visa exempt. A left field one is 12 month multi only for USA. 

Visa exempt for many countries. Yes realize they stopped issue of all in march. 

As did some border countries to Thailand.

The Visa changes in Vietnam kicks in July 1. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This is not a cheap shot. Just curious. Your meds perhaps partially funded from government. Putting that aside, surely your GP with knowledge of your history can prescribe. 

I'm Oz and that's being provided there since Mr Covid visited.

No.

Of course I can get medicines but the one I can get in Thailand are bad for my liver, that's my problem.

I am in the same situation, wanting/needing to make a trip to the US.

But there is no telling at this point when that will be possible. I have told my family there that odds of my being able to come before fall are low.

• Like 1

There is another thread in which it states that Thailand will not allow most foreigners to enter Thailand until the end of the year. Except for Chinese, who will be allowed in from July.

Most foreign nationals will not be allowed to enter Thailand for most of this year, though it is believed that Chinese tourists may be allowed into the country by July as the number of infections in the country is under control.

The link is here: 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1164086-tourism-sector-will-only-start-recovering-next-year-say-experts/?utm_source=newsletter-20200514-0552&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is another thread in which it states that Thailand will not allow most foreigners to enter Thailand until the end of the year. Except for Chinese, who will be allowed in from July.

Most foreign nationals will not be allowed to enter Thailand for most of this year, though it is believed that Chinese tourists may be allowed into the country by July as the number of infections in the country is under control.

The link is here: 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1164086-tourism-sector-will-only-start-recovering-next-year-say-experts/?utm_source=newsletter-20200514-0552&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Not "will be allowed" but "may be allowed" huge difference.

I just wonder why several airlines start with European airport to Bangkok and Hong Kong in June.

Thailand and HK still don't let in non-citizens (in HK non-residents).

Why would an airline fly several times per week? Repatriation of citizens should be finished soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Even if Laos opens their borders,how are you as a foreigner supposed to get back into Thailand? 

You can't. But for others maybe with a wife and family they could cross and visit.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, darrendsd said:

This really is a typical Thaivisa posters views - it really is

Has it escaped your attention that Western countries are adopting policies that Thailand have implemented? Such s 14 days quarantine etc?

No of course you haven't because like most of the pathetic posters on this forum you have a They all hate us mentality 

You are more than welcome to have your view just as I am to mines. I have no illusion as to what is going on in the rest of the world " you are one of those who don't like what is being said so uses Western to justify your narrow view "  you need to get your head out of the sand see I'm not going to lower myself because I disagree and start name calling just because you haven't experience what others have and conclude their view in general don't mean it doesn't exist doing so just shows your ignorance to life! 

Continue to have your good experience about Thailand but don't be so steadfast to believe there isn't another view doing so will make you fall into the category the " more patriotic the more stupid " which is what a Thai MP called his own people who think this way!

AGREE TO DISAGREE FOR YOUR SAKE LEAVE IT AT THAT!

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:
10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Most foreign nationals will not be allowed to enter Thailand for most of this year, though it is believed that Chinese tourists may be allowed into the country by July

These are TheNation words. No source. Nothing official.

I know. But aren't there draconian laws in Thailand about spreading fake news? If they've made it up, can we expect the paper to be in court? I don't know. I have to assume they have some basis for writing what they did.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think if you look at countries such as AU, NZ etc you will find Thailand has been in lock step behind rules such as quarantine, allowing only nationals to return etc.

The one they came up by themselves is booze ban. Brilliant.

I was at Saigon airport on March 16 and Singapore started 14 isolation for new entries. Thailand was very slow regarding inbound flights from China. In fact China stopped all tour groups to Thailand well before Thailand eventually closed its borders. 

My bag I read your quote back to me I meant to say Thailand is taking or adopting from the West, yes only booze and as you know for good reason?  Thanks for pointing out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

I keep hearing people say this, but haven't seen anything in writing. Do you have a link to an announcement or anything like that?

I am in Laos now, There has been no announcement concerning any change to current policy yet.

Today is friday, I would expect that any policy changes that may occur, will be announced today before the weekend. 

On 5/14/2020 at 8:17 AM, ChipButty said:

Simple really, right now the airports are closed to international flights then my guess would be if you are coming back from an infected country you will not get into Thailand and if you can enter what will be the requirements? ie, covid insurance and how much cover and a medical certificates the bottom line is Nobody Knows

That is not true, the airports are not closed to international flights. It is an immigration issue which restricts the entry of most foreign nationals.

You are probably right in that restrictions going forward may very well depend on where arrivals come from, and I do not see the UK being allowed in anytime soon. With the 6th highest death rate per capita they could be among those to the end of the year.

13 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I have to go back to europe for some time, I use medicine I only can get from there, 

Have you actually checked with a hospital consultant to verify that to be a fact.

It is government policy that doctors only prescribe locally sourced medication but there can be exceptions.

I have medication that is not readily available in Thailand and each time I get it the doctor has to issue a certificate to the hospital pharmacy that the medication has been prescribed at the patient's request.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is an immigration issue which restricts the entry of most foreign nationals.

Not a immigration issue. It is a order by the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT).

"Public Announcement

Extension of temporary ban on all international flights to Thailand until 31 May 2020"

Source:https://www.caat.or.th/archives/49796

12 hours ago, Berti said:

I just wonder why several airlines start with European airport to Bangkok and Hong Kong in June.

Thailand and HK still don't let in non-citizens (in HK non-residents).

Why would an airline fly several times per week? Repatriation of citizens should be finished soon.

Don't forget international cargo shipment.

Not all shipping company can be like UPS, DHL, FedEx who capable to have their owned aircrafts to transport cargo internationally.

Now air cargo businesses still not affected so badly, some doing quite well.

Another reason might be to keep the flight routine to other countries.

If stopped now, might not be easy to resume in future.