Did I Pay Too Much for a Gold Bracelet?

SeaMike01

To follow up, this is what happened: The style of the bracelet I bought wasn't to my girlfriend's taste, and a clasp on her gold necklace was broken, so we visited gold shops in the same area today to see what we could do. We visited a different family-run shop and they did confirm that the original gold shop overcharged me by 3,000 baht. It was a 96.5% gold bracelet and should have cost just over 14,000 baht. (Of course, I didn't have a receipt either, despite knowing better.) In any case we liked the owners and ended up trading in the damaged necklace and new bracelet for new ones and paying another 4,300. And my girlfriend works, so she's going to pay me back for part of it. In the end I learned my lesson and the girlfriend is now very happy with the new necklace and bracelet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SeaMike01 said:

To follow up, this is what happened: The style of the bracelet I bought wasn't to my girlfriend's taste, and a clasp on her gold necklace was broken, so we visited gold shops in the same area today to see what we could do. We visited a different family-run shop and they did confirm that the original gold shop overcharged me by 3,000 baht. It was a 96.5% gold bracelet and should have cost just over 14,000 baht. (Of course, I didn't have a receipt either, despite knowing better.) In any case we liked the owners and ended up trading in the damaged necklace and new bracelet for new ones and paying another 4,300. And my girlfriend works, so she's going to pay me back for part of it. In the end I learned my lesson and the girlfriend is now very happy with the new necklace and bracelet.

Pleased you are sorted and girlfriend is happy.

One thing I have learnt. When I wish to buy any of my family a present, then the 'surprise' element is not required, they prefer to have input, whereby they receive exactly what they wish for the amount I am prepared to spend. Alternatively give them the money and let them loose. Always seems to achieve the same aim with little or no drama.

For example, I once bought my daughter a quality shirt for 1000 baht. I was told yes very good, last a long time......but.....must wear same shirt many times

Better I was told to buy 5 shirts for 200 baht, then not put same many times.

You see the logic there ????

1 hour ago, SeaMike01 said:

To follow up, this is what happened: The style of the bracelet I bought wasn't to my girlfriend's taste, and a clasp on her gold necklace was broken, so we visited gold shops in the same area today to see what we could do. We visited a different family-run shop and they did confirm that the original gold shop overcharged me by 3,000 baht. It was a 96.5% gold bracelet and should have cost just over 14,000 baht. (Of course, I didn't have a receipt either, despite knowing better.) In any case we liked the owners and ended up trading in the damaged necklace and new bracelet for new ones and paying another 4,300.

You didn't go back to the original shop with the higher prices?   Seems odd not to do that if his prices are higher.

Gold shops will not pay the best price for another shop's jewellery, i.e. if you buy from them, you'll get more when you sell back to them,  If you had gone back to the first shop you may have got more in return, particularly when you're buying more.