Getting a driving license while being registered in another city

Hey. I live in Bangkok but I have a BOI WP registered in Pattaya...which apparently is a big issue when trying to make a Thai driving license. It's a new work permit so it doesn't have my personal address on it. I went to the immigration in BKK today in the morning to get the Certificate of Residence (I'm not sure if it's required, possibly), but they said I need to go to Pattaya in order to do that. They also told me to find out if I can make a driving license itself in Bangkok, or if I have to go to Pattaya to do this.

1. Is Certificate of Residence really required to make a Driving License? Is it also required to get my name on the green book when I'm buying a vehicle? Looks like I might need to do it twice then.

2. Can I make a Driving License in Bangkok in that case?

Sorry, I'm a bit lost in Thai bureaucracy now ????

My driving license was issued by Chonburi/Pattaya DLT.  The address on it is in Surin and I used my yellow book from there instead of a residence certificate.  So that would asuggest the answer to 2. is maybe yes.  

1 hour ago, ivenius said:

1. Is Certificate of Residence really required to make a Driving License? Is it also required to get my name on the green book when I'm buying a vehicle? Looks like I might need to do it twice then.

2. Can I make a Driving License in Bangkok in that case?

Yes, a residence certificate is required if a work permit, an acceptable alternative, is not available. 

A CoR, or WP, is required to register the vehicle in your name. 

When applying for the cert, CW asks if it is needed for buying a vehicle or getting a driving licence so there could be two different types/wording.

I done this last year. 

First step was to go to the transport office, and explain my situation (same as yours) 

The lady prepared a paper for me to take to my new local immigration office. I took it along with my wife and her tabien barn. 

At that point, I registered my new adress with immigration, and had the paper stamped. 

Next step was back to the transport office to do the traffic light test and was issued with new licences with new adress. 

I must add that my bike and car licences had both expired a month before, but I hadn't noticed, so if yours is still valid, the procedure might even be easier. 

• Thanks 1

I'm registered in pattaya as well went to imm. in pattaya to get letter for proof of adress and then showed this where i did my drivers license in nonthaburi . I stay in bangkok nonthaburi . It was no problem , i went with my wife so she could explain that i luve in pattaya and she also has a house in bkk . The ceu in pattaya was about 2 months or more and in nonthaburi i had my ceu nr for the momth after i went to make the appointment . 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, ivenius said:

Thanks! How about work permit without a personal address on it? Is it accepted?

If there's no address on the wp, you'll probably need the Certificate of Address. But you have to wait until the DLT office opens. They are closed because of the coronavirus situation.

Edited by Max69xl
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, ivenius said:

Thanks! How about work permit without a personal address on it? Is it accepted?

Sorry, I don't know that but the last time I renewed my licence I was told by the agent that assisted me that a residence cert from Immigration was needed if I didn't have a work permit.  There was no qualifying requirement mentioned regarding the specifics of the address details on the WP.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Thanks 1