China, South Korea removed from list of high-risk countries

rooster59

13 hours ago, Saddic said:

It's all about appeasing their Chinese masters (please send tourist money)... they conveniently overlooked the second wave outbreak happening in China... 

13 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Can you please post a link to details of that second wave in China, because I have not seen it. Thanks.

Forget the second wave, China has now several cities in lockdown due to new outbreaks. Apparently, the tourist dollar is more important than saving lives, however, I cant see many tourists wanting to come here or wanting to travel anywhere at the moment.

Too many restrictions and a good chance of catching the virus. A recent study in the USA by researchers studying the worlds previous pandemics from the turn of the century are predicting a minimum of 18 - 24 months before the virus can be controlled with at least 70% of the world population being vaccinated/immune against the virus. 

13 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Can you please post a link to details of that second wave in China, because I have not seen it. Thanks.

It's been all over the news these past 2 weeks.

Why don't you do your own research - find your own link and learn what's going on in the world.

All you have to do is Google it.

It's not that difficult is it?

• Like 1

It's clear enough that China has been seriously under-reporting the number of cases from day 1. Yet the Thai authorities appear to believe the Chinese data, but why? If they are  happy to sacrifice tens of thousands for the sake of money, why did they impose such a hard lockdown? It doesn't make sense, like so much they say and do. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

Let's look at the facts, Thailand has possibly the largest Chinese tourists in the world from December to Mid March before the lockdown in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_25_arrivals_by_nationality

So do you see Thailand having the largest infected cases in the world from this list below compared to countries with low Chinese tourist numbers ? History speaks for itself.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The largest tourists? You mean the tallest and fattest?

5 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

yes?  you called?  i'm in hainan.  just got back in from a 3-hour bike ride to the beach.  traffic a bit heavy, we've got tens of thousands of students from the mainland returning, as colleges are set to reopen soon.

all the shops and stores are open.  chinese are actually IN the water, trying to swim.  new seaside hotels are going up.  seeing help wanted signs on the businesses near my apartment.  i can buy imported german wheat beer at the 24-hour convenience store a couple blocks away.  the annoying dancing grannies are blasting their mongolian dance tracks in the park next door until 10pm every evening.

here on the island we've had 168 cases, with 6 deaths.  nothing local for almost two months.  tourist sites are open.  i have a friend working in a family-owned resort hotel.  all 30 rooms booked, mostly mainland tourists.  i believe the quarantine period for most mainlanders has been dropped.  only quarantine remaining is for mainlanders from high-risk zones and coming from overseas. 

masks are not being worn by most now.  a few shops still require them, the larger supermarkets do as well.  life here is mostly back to normal.

they did catch one asymptomatic case april 25th, an elderly woman from wuhan.  they contact traced her, tested 344 people, deep-cleaned her apartment complex and a small supermarket nearby.  hainan government announced this on one of the regular public updates we have sent to our cellphone.

if you have any specific questions, feel free.  i can respond with local hainan situation reports, but haven't been to the mainland recently, so can't update you with eyewitness reports on the wet markets in wuhan.

That’s wonderful! Any news on people who are unhappy? Any stories of anyone protesting? Many people speaking out over there? There’s always someone who’s disgruntled regardless of how good it is. what’s their view? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry343 said:

there were six cases in one apartment building.   the authorities are worried there might be more out there somewhere.

i think the idea is that testing the entire city will find any undetected asymptomatic carriers, and prevent the feared second coming.

in the meantime, the wuhan government will be using their police superpowers to track down any contact those six have had over the past 14 days.  they have surveillance cameras everywhere, every corner, every mall, every park.  phones are gps tracked, purchases on alipay with your cellphone are recorded (did you buy aspirin at a pharmacy lately?).  i read they were retired, so they get to ride the bus free, when they wave their card at the magnetic reader, which is also recorded and matched with the bus surveillance video.  mao yeye knows all.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

there were six cases in one apartment building.   the authorities are worried there might be more out there somewhere.

i think the idea is that testing the entire city will find any undetected asymptomatic carriers, and prevent the feared second coming.

in the meantime, the wuhan government will be using their police superpowers to track down any contact those six have had over the past 14 days.  they have surveillance cameras everywhere, every corner, every mall, every park.  phones are gps tracked, purchases on alipay with your cellphone are recorded (did you buy aspirin at a pharmacy lately?).  i read they were retired, so they get to ride the bus free, when they wave their card at the magnetic reader, which is also recorded and matched with the bus surveillance video.  mao yeye knows all.

Anyone there angry? Any protesters?

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

That’s wonderful! Any news on people who are unhappy? Any stories of anyone protesting? Many people speaking out over there? There’s always someone who’s disgruntled regardless of how good it is. what’s their view?

there are sometimes protests on the mainland.  never seen one, but have read about them in western press.  you can sometimes find stories about lone citizens standing up to corrupt officials, but then the villainy is apportioned to that one official who was just demoted or jailed.

there have been some complaints here about the price of pork.  china had been releasing inventory from the national pork reserve through new years and then into the lockdown, but then price doubled from where it was a year before.  we've been making do with chicken or shrimp.  not much beef sold locally.

i did see a guy two years ago <deleted> off about a crappy refrigerator.  he dumped it in front of the store and proceeded to beat it to death with a steel pipe.

otherwise all seems normal.  are they disgruntled?  aside from complaints about excessive paperwork sometimes, they don't complain to me, the western guy.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

there are sometimes protests on the mainland.  never seen one, but have read about them in western press.  you can sometimes find stories about lone citizens standing up to corrupt officials, but then the villainy is apportioned to that one official who was just demoted or jailed.

there have been some complaints here about the price of pork.  china had been releasing inventory from the national pork reserve through new years and then into the lockdown, but then price doubled from where it was a year before.  we've been making do with chicken or shrimp.  not much beef sold locally.

i did see a guy two years ago <deleted> off about a crappy refrigerator.  he dumped it in front of the store and proceeded to beat it to death with a steel pipe.

otherwise all seems normal.  are they disgruntled?  aside from complaints about excessive paperwork sometimes, they don't complain to me, the western guy.

What would your advice be to disgruntled residents who want to show their displeasure ? I’m taking only about Covid. Nothing else. 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

not much beef sold locally.

No worries, we're sending more across soon ... oh ... wait :coffee1:

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

555 Wish you had a vid of that, had me laughing just at the thought of it.

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Anyone there angry? Any protesters?

sorry, i haven't been to wuhan.

strangely enough, i used to date a lady doctor (professor type), microbiologist, who was teaching at a university in guangxi province.  hadn't thought about her in years until this came up, and yes, she was from wuhan.

unfortunately i can't find her email address and her cell number is on a long-discarded sim card.

but anger, bitterness, complaints?  not really.  they don't offer a non-immigrant type visa for us retirees yet.

6 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

sorry, i haven't been to wuhan.

strangely enough, i used to date a lady doctor (professor type), microbiologist, who was teaching at a university in guangxi province.  hadn't thought about her in years until this came up, and yes, she was from wuhan.

unfortunately i can't find her email address and her cell number is on a long-discarded sim card.

but anger, bitterness, complaints?  not really.  they don't offer a non-immigrant type visa for us retirees yet.

Any recourse for Wuhan residents? How would they lodge complaints, etc? Send directly to Beijing or go through local municipalities first?

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

I mean locals, obviously. What’s their recourse if they’re unhappy about the local municipality’s handling of the situation? How do they get protest permits in this current climate?

they don't do protest permits.  i think you know that.  there are methods to address the municipality over grievances, loads of paperwork i'm sure, and probably little chance of success.  i have no direct knowledge, so don't quote me.

no complaints about local virus measures.  as you read in my prior post, there were only 168 cases on the island.  we had a mild lockdown that lasted a short time.  it overlapped the new year holiday, so for one week of that everything would have been closed anyway.

supermarkets were still open, masks were required.  hard to find the first week, as all were being directed to wuhan, after that no problem to find.  housing complexes limited access.  only one person per household allowed out every other day for supplies.  there were no shortages.   over and done, then shops started to reopen.

Just now, ChouDoufu said:

they don't do protest permits.  i think you know that.  there are methods to address the municipality over grievances, loads of paperwork i'm sure, and probably little chance of success.  i have no direct knowledge, so don't quote me.

no complaints about local virus measures.  as you read in my prior post, there were only 168 cases on the island.  we had a mild lockdown that lasted a short time.  it overlapped the new year holiday, so for one week of that everything would have been closed anyway.

supermarkets were still open, masks were required.  hard to find the first week, as all were being directed to wuhan, after that no problem to find.  housing complexes limited access.  only one person per household allowed out every other day for supplies.  there were no shortages.   over and done, then shops started to reopen.

So people can’t complain or protest? Seems unfair, right?

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Any recourse for Wuhan residents? How would they lodge complaints, etc? Send directly to Beijing or go through local municipalities first?

wuhan residents would complain to some sort of ombudsman office locally.  if no satisfaction i suppose they'd go to the provincial level.  there should be a process to go to the national level, but you'd be better off googling than asking me details.  i cannot answer.

same-same but different with western governments.  if the complaint is local you start local.  some complaints reach the supreme court and are accepted, others rejected.

wuhan residents would complain to some sort of ombudsman office locally.  if no satisfaction i suppose they'd go to the provincial level.  there should be a process to go to the national level, but you'd be better off googling than asking me details.  i cannot answer.

same-same but different with western governments.  if the complaint is local you start local.  some complaints reach the supreme court and are accepted, others rejected.

Can they complain directly to Xi Jinping? Through their own social networks platforms? He welcomes criticism, right?

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So people can’t complain or protest? Seems unfair, right?

as a 'merkan, sure, it seems unfair.

they can complain, protests are not to my knowledge ever permitted.

would be pointless for me to try to change it.

i don't pester random chinese about the three T's.

in every foreign country there are touchy subjects we don't address.

Can they complain directly to Xi Jinping? Through their own social networks platforms? He welcomes criticism, right?

dude, if you want serious responses, ask serious questions.

you don't need to play gotcha.

i'm not a chineser, i don't know all the answers.

if you just want propaganda, go back to the falun gong sites.

as a 'merkan, sure, it seems unfair.

they can complain, protests are not to my knowledge ever permitted.

would be pointless for me to try to change it.

i don't pester random chinese about the three T's.

in every foreign country there are touchy subjects we don't address.

Touchy subjects like criticism in general? Please tell me, what criticism is allowed in China towards Xi? I assume it’s perfectly okay to joke and say he look like Winnie the Pooh, right? 

dude, if you want serious responses, ask serious questions.

you don't need to play gotcha.

i'm not a chineser, i don't know all the answers.

if you just want propaganda, go back to the falun gong sites.

Gotcha? I’m asking you questions - that’s all. Questions are easy to answer if you have nothing to hide. 

4 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

yes when you want an carona explosion you let them visit your country.

But its all for the money , a life is nothing in thailand, only money care...

BS. Thailand got millions of Chinese tourists in January-March

and has nearly no victims from Covid-19. 

Hard even to know if Chinese brought Covid-19 in Thailand !

• Like 1

Gotcha? I’m asking you questions - that’s all. Questions are easy to answer if you have nothing to hide. 

not being chinese, i'm not sure what i could be hiding.  seems like you're trying to lead me to some clever trap.  oh noes!  maybe i'll say communism is bad and lose my wu maos!  at least try to be honest in conversation, okay?

as a westerner in china, i avoid the three T's in a political context.  i am aware, for example, they refer to "taiwan province" and don't argue with them.  what purpose would that serve?

your average chineser in conversation with westerners doesn't often talk about xi.  as they don't talk about xi with me, they have no reason to mention his resemblance to the bear who loves hunny.  pooh is a popular cartoon character, and i do see a fair number of girls wearing pooh shirts.  is that a secret criticism of the evil xi?  or a schoolgirl crush?  i never asked.

we know the internet censors remove the pooh memes as soon as they're posted.  whether that is a directive straight from xi, or just the net nanny administration wanting to remove any criticism is unknown.  would be pure speculation on my part to say either way.

chinesers don't "not know" what's going on in the world.  vpn's are available and work well most of the time.  anyone who wants to know what goes on outside the great firewall has the ability to do so.  the minders do shut down the vpn access ports (or whatever the term is) and throttle outside flowrate during special party meetings and special events, like hong kong protests.  that lasts at most a week, then the vpn engineers update the software and all is good again.

Just now, ChouDoufu said:

not being chinese, i'm not sure what i could be hiding.  seems like you're trying to lead me to some clever trap.  oh noes!  maybe i'll say communism is bad and lose my wu maos!  at least try to be honest in conversation, okay?

as a westerner in china, i avoid the three T's in a political context.  i am aware, for example, they refer to "taiwan province" and don't argue with them.  what purpose would that serve?

your average chineser in conversation with westerners doesn't often talk about xi.  as they don't talk about xi with me, they have no reason to mention his resemblance to the bear who loves hunny.  pooh is a popular cartoon character, and i do see a fair number of girls wearing pooh shirts.  is that a secret criticism of the evil xi?  or a schoolgirl crush?  i never asked.

we know the internet censors remove the pooh memes as soon as they're posted.  whether that is a directive straight from xi, or just the net nanny administration wanting to remove any criticism is unknown.  would be pure speculation on my part to say either way.

chinesers don't "not know" what's going on in the world.  vpn's are available and work well most of the time.  anyone who wants to know what goes on outside the great firewall has the ability to do so.  the minders do shut down the vpn access ports (or whatever the term is) and throttle outside flowrate during special party meetings and special events, like hong kong protests.  that lasts at most a week, then the vpn engineers update the software and all is good again.

You can ask me any question you like. You can criticize anyone you like and I won’t be offended. 

Xi Jinping is a liar. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

You can ask me any question you like. You can criticize anyone you like and I won’t be offended. 

Xi Jinping is a liar. 

you're probably right.  he is a politician.

i won't bother to find some xi quotes and translate them to confirm it.

i'll just agree, probably so.

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

you're probably right.  he is a politician.

i won't bother to find some xi quotes and translate them to confirm it.

i'll just agree, probably so.

He’s a despicable human being who’s killed god knows how many innocent Chinese citizens. You wanna sign a petition to have him kicked out and tried in the world’s court?

• Sad 1