Driving licence Thailand

Not sure this is the correct forum but here goes. I have a Thai work permit and wish to get a thai drivers licence. Actually I just want to drive around Udon Thani for a couple of days, I have no interest to drive in Bangkok. My licence from my country, Australia, expired 4 years ago. What exactly is required and can an agent assist me to obtain or, not necessary. Thanks for any advice.

Can you apply for a renewal of you Australian driving licence from overseas?

If so, renew, then apply for a Thai DL.

Unless you are lucky and no one checks the dates you may not be able to receive a 2 Year Temporary Thai Licence based on an expired Australian Licence.

Most of the recent Work Permits cannot be used as Proof of Address (as they don't contain the address - best to check this). You will need an Affirmation of Residence (from your Embassy) or Certificate of Residence (from Immigration if you have carried out a 90 day report).

You will also need a Medical certificate (from a local medical clinc).

The DLT's are all closed at the moment. But, you could 'try it on' and and see if you can get away with the DLT not noticing that your Aussie licence has expired.

Otherwise you are facing the full test. Easily doable, just a ball ache.

No need for an agent when dealing with the DLT, the bureaucratic process is one of the easier in Thailand.

• Like 1