Thailand reports two new coronavirus cases, no additional deaths

webfact

Thailand reports two new coronavirus cases, no additional deaths

s2.reutersmedia.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Tuesday confirmed two new coronavirus cases and no additional deaths, bringing its total to 3,033 infections, a senior official said.

The two new cases were in the south in a province bordering Malaysia, Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration, said at a daily briefing.

There have been 56 deaths since the outbreak began in January and 2,857 patients have recovered.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Martin Petty)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-19

Two new cases in 24-hour period reported in Narathiwat

By The Nation

800_1a768f31991aad7.jpg?v=1589865204

Thailand reported two new confirmed virus cases without any deaths over a 24-hour period, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said today (May 19).

The number of Covid-19 patients has now increased to 3,033.

The new cases are a 36-year-old daughter and 42-year-old son-in-law of a Covid-19 patient in Narathiwat. He was admitted to hospital for pneumonia.

As of today, the number of confirmed cases in the country stands at 3,033, of which 120 are under treatment, 2,857 have recovered and been discharged, and 56 have died.

Taweesin also said 1,186 patient contracted the virus from infected close contacts (39%), 1,585 who went to hospitals found they were infected (52%), 100 cases were discovered in state quarantine (3%), 65 at immigration quarantine centres (2%), 55 discovered during case-finding operations (2%), and 40 cases found at international checkpoints (2%).

Globally, there have been more than 4.8 million confirmed cases and around 310,000 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388110

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-19

Why ridicule people for asking a good question when said question remains unanswered? 

Still true that not revealing the number tested makes the report of numbers of positives not very valid. The fact that people like the number being reported doesn't make it any more valid. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tingnongnoi said:
1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

Why ridicule people for asking a good question when said question remains unanswered? 

Still true that not revealing the number tested makes the report of numbers of positives not very valid. The fact that people like the number being reported doesn't make it any more valid. 

dont think it was ridicule for a good question, more that the question is asked 5000 times on every post ????

Additionally, the "yeah but how many were tested" question was much more valid, and the same one I was asking, in March.  With each passing month you don't mass test.  You trace, target, then test.

Are there unknown pockets out there?  Yes for sure.  That's what the lockdown is for, to keep them from importing cases into large centers like Bangkok. 

I'm frankly surprised how the numbers Bangkok are so vastly different from NYC.

1 hour ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

Additionally, the "yeah but how many were tested" question was much more valid, and the same one I was asking, in March.  With each passing month you don't mass test.  You trace, target, then test.

Are there unknown pockets out there?  Yes for sure.  That's what the lockdown is for, to keep them from importing cases into large centers like Bangkok. 

I'm frankly surprised how the numbers Bangkok are so vastly different from NYC.

Agreed. But, if you reveal the number of tests and it's something like 25, then you know that there also isn't any meaningful tracing and targeting going on, either. 

So they are saying half the recorded cases are from people going to hospital initially for something else?

About every three days I walk the same route though the Din Daeng neighborhood, including the huge night food market. In many places people have stopped wearing masks, there is no thought of social distancing, and they don't act afraid. I guess if some have ended in hospital I wouldn't know it, but it sure doesn't look like it from the way they act. I attribute the climate and lack of air con, and perhaps in time we will have scientific proof of such. And there may be some general immunity we have not yet identified. In Alameda County CA the rate of infection of asians is half that of whites, which also has not been explained.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Oh great, now MoPH has completely deleted the DDC website, including all reports, guidelines, etc.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/

image.png.6e5eb6bf2d611f91523239c0e600c96b.png

Absolutely great that they then have a welcome banner with a link to the DDC site. I guess the left Xinhua hand doesn't know what the right usurper hand is doing.

Yeah. But, since the numbers they are reporting are low, let's just accept them as legit and not ask questions. Who needs transparency when you have (reported) success?

20 hours ago, Enzian said:

So they are saying half the recorded cases are from people going to hospital initially for something else?

About every three days I walk the same route though the Din Daeng neighborhood, including the huge night food market. In many places people have stopped wearing masks, there is no thought of social distancing, and they don't act afraid. I guess if some have ended in hospital I wouldn't know it, but it sure doesn't look like it from the way they act. I attribute the climate and lack of air con, and perhaps in time we will have scientific proof of such. And there may be some general immunity we have not yet identified. In Alameda County CA the rate of infection of asians is half that of whites, which also has not been explained.

In many places people have stopped wearing masks, there is no thought of social distancing, and they don't act afraid.

The quicker this becomes the new normal, the better.

• Like 1

And a years holiday in their own fantasy land! for all who think the figures of 2 reflect the true covid 19 situation in the kingdom of Thailand

A recent government announcement following an extensive tour of walking street and environs in Pattaya

seriously proclaimed....... No evidence of prostitution was found!!!!

the number of those tested isnt really an important metric at this point. A more valid picture of what is happening with the virus is the number of hospitalizations and the infected fatality rate. These two values demonstrate what is the real affect the virus is having on public health. The demographics of these populations clearly demonstrate that a very specific sub-population are at actual risk, and require isolation, and not the general public, 80% show no or mild symptoms, and 98% survive infection.

One of my thai friends told me yesterday that there hasnt been a new case in bkk for about 3 weeks, and that the current new cases are all occurring at the borders where people are getting into thailand.

the current new case numbers indicate that the virus for whatever reason, the virus in under control within the thai border.

I suspect that the reason for the low amount of virus cases are mostly related to the fact that thai culture is one of non-physical contact, shaking hands, hugging, and kissing; the sunny environment, the virus dies quickly in sunlight , which has UV radiation in it, and that so many thais were already wearing masks due to PM2.5 pollution. 

full opening is now indicated in thailand along with continued tight border control for international visitors from places that are still struggling with their case and death numbers.