How to get Thai sim card being abroad

MaximGallo

Hi everyone, 

my True Move sim-card has expired and I need to get a new sim in order to connect it to my Paypal account. The problem is I'm not in Thailand right now and won't be able to travel there in the nearest future because of COVID-19 quarantine. 

So I'm wondering is there any way to get a sim card being abroad? 

I have a few friends in Bangkok who I can ask to buy a sim and ship it to me, but would it work that way? 

Would appreciate any suggestions. 

thank you and keep safe!

You can find them on Amazon but mainly short expiry travel SIM's.  Best bet would be to get one sent out to you, have someone activate it in Thailand before sending it. (assuming the international post is up and running)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You can find them on Amazon but mainly short expiry travel SIM's.  Best bet would be to get one sent out to you, have someone activate it in Thailand before sending it. (assuming the international post is up and running)

They don't expire if you extend their validity by topping them up. 

More important is that the SIM is activated and International Roaming is enabled before it is sent out of the country.

• Like 1

Why can't you change your PayPal 2FA to a mobile app such as "authy" or google authentication instead of an SMS to your True SIM? Should be do-able.

Or, ask a friend to use their thai mobile number and they can send u the OTP.

Edited by i84teen

Another option might be to obtain a SIM card local to where you are now and update PayPal, then do it all again once you return to Thailand.

Or, as someone else has suggested, switch to an alternate 2FA process (even if temporarily). 

10 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Another option might be to obtain a SIM card local to where you are now and update PayPal, then do it all again once you return to Thailand.

Or, as someone else has suggested, switch to an alternate 2FA process (even if temporarily). 

The best 2 solutions

On 5/22/2020 at 6:57 PM, RichCor said:

Unfortunately  as

The laws applicable to PayPal accounts differ by country, so you can't change your address to a country that is different from the country you used when you opened your account. If you're moving abroad, you'll need to close your existing account and open a new account.

and

How do I add an international phone number to PayPal?
You can't. Paypal is country specific so if you move country you have to open another paypal account in that country and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country. The only exception is U.S users can add their bank accounts to other countries paypal accounts.

I ended up opening another Paypal account, which uses THB and a Thai phonenumber and I kept the European Paypal account and still have the SIM which works and not expire as long it's roaming and I send a query time by time (balance lookup will do) to keep it alive.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Metropolitian said:

Unfortunately

I keep forgetting about the paypal per-country restrictions. 

When I had my paypal accounts i just used my VoIP number.

So, that might be another option. Just get a Thailand VoIP number that has a compatible smartphone app.