1 Yr Marriage Visa

Have a friend (Finnish) that wants to apply for a 1 yr visa based on the fact he is married to a Thai national and has a child with her. He is listed as the father on the birth certificate. He currently has a multiple non-imm O, but has to leave the country for a stamp every 90 days. Will the spouse visa allow him to forego the visa run and allow him to just register his address every 90 days? Does he need a certain amount of money in the bank, and for how long? Can he get a multiple non-imm spouse visa? Thanks,

Richard

He can obtain a one year extension of stay at any time if he can provide proof of 40k per month family income for previous three months. That can be his, wife, or combined. Without that what he has is the best visa available.

If he is over age 50 there is a provision to stay with child that does not require financial means but have not seen any report of people obtaining outside of some Bangkok customers of Sunbelt Asia.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who is married to hid THai wife and they have a child, he is under 50 yrs old:

He tried to get a Marriage Visa at Pattaya Immigration , but had a problem with evidence for his income and Immigration would not except it, however they have said if he produces 400 K in a THai bank he can have a M/Visa. THis does not sound right to me.

Any confirmations on this (An outside visa agency say they can get him a m/v on K 400)

What is an "m/v"? There is no such thing as a marriage visa.

Extension of stay now requires proof of 40k family income and 400k is no longer an option for new applicants according to police order 606. Has he been on an extension of stay perhaps? Or perhaps the same multi entry visa (which was issued because he has a Thai wife)?

A multi entry non immigrant O visa will be issued by Singapore for those who have 400k in a bank account and are married to a Thai but that would require 90 day border runs.

Not sure what Pattaya is suggesting if he is indeed a new applicant but can see some room in the grandfather provision for different interpretations.

Extension of stay now requires proof of 40k family income and 400k is no longer an option for new applicants according to police order 606. Has he been on an extension of stay perhaps? Or perhaps the same multi entry visa (which was issued because he has a Thai wife)?

A multi entry non immigrant O visa will be issued by Singapore for those who have 400k in a bank account and are married to a Thai but that would require 90 day border runs.

Not sure what Pattaya is suggesting if he is indeed a new applicant but can see some room in the grandfather provision for different interpretations.

WEll I am just curious as to why he cant get one. At the moment he is on a 90 day issued out of THailand, but was on a Non-Immigrant 'O' which has now run out. hence the 90 day visa

If he has a 90 day permitted to stay stamp he is on a non immigrant O visa entry the same as before - but probably single entry if obtained in the local area.

You told us the reason he could not obtain the extension of stay was his proof of income was not sufficient. Did he have the required letter from his Embassy (if any of the 40k income was from outside Thailand)?

Sorry, I'm not english mother tongue, so perhaps I don't get correctly the police order 606. But it says :

In the case of an alien married

to a Thai woman, any party or

both must have a total income

of not less than Baht 40,000 per

month, except for aliens who

entered the Kingdom before

this Order came into force and

granted a permit to stay in the

Kingdom. If the alien does not

have the minimum income

above, he shall have an account

deposit in Thailand in the name

of either party or both of not

less than Baht 400,000. Proof

of account deposit for the

previous 3 months is required

Why shoudn't be possible tu use the 400k deposit to get a 1 year permit of stay? :-)))

Sorry, I'm not english mother tongue, so perhaps I don't get correctly the police order 606. But it says :

In the case of an alien married

to a Thai woman, any party or

both must have a total income

of not less than Baht 40,000 per

month, except for aliens who

entered the Kingdom before

this Order came into force and

granted a permit to stay in the

Kingdom. If the alien does not

have the minimum income

above, he shall have an account

deposit in Thailand in the name

of either party or both of not

less than Baht 400,000. Proof

of account deposit for the

previous 3 months is required

Why shoudn't be possible tu use the 400k deposit to get a 1 year permit of stay? :-)))

It's saying that IF you had permission to stay based on 400,000 Baht before October 1, 2006, you can apply the same way again. If you are making a new application AFTER October 1, 2006, you need to use the 40,000 baht requirement.

That police order became effective October 1, 2006. I hope that helps to clarify.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Now I have another question. How can I prove my income? I have a pension from italian social security system, the pension is paid to an italian bank, and since I usually stayed less than 180 days, I just obtained a double non-immigrant O visa, got out of Thailand before the first 90 days and that was all. Now it seems that thai embassy in Italy doesn't provide anymore multiple visas, so they will give me just a 90 days non-immigrant visa and when in Thailand I should extend it.

I understand that the 40k per month should flow into Thailand in some official way, I don't think would be enough that I remit through my italian bank the 40k per month. After the 90 days, what should I show to the immigration office to prove that I have this income?

Thank you for your assistance :-))

Edited by buasaard

Thank you for your prompt reply. Now I have another question. How can I prove my income? I have a pension from italian social security system, the pension is paid to an italian bank, and since I usually stayed less than 180 days, I just obtained a double non-immigrant O visa, got out of Thailand before the first 90 days and that was all. Now it seems that thai embassy in Italy doesn't provide anymore multiple visas, so they will give me just a 90 days non-immigrant visa and when in Thailand I should extend it.

I understand that the 40k per month should flow into Thailand in some official way, I don't think would be enough that I remit through my italian bank the 40k per month. After the 90 days, what should I show to the immigration office to prove that I have this income?

Thank you for your assistance :-))

I hope this also helps. I believe there is an Italian embassy in Bangkok and a consulate in Chaing Mai. If you explain your situation, they may be able to assist you.

The income can be yours or your wifes' or a combination of both.

Other countries issue letters verifying the income from outside of Thailand. That letter, with bank statements, and the documents concerning your pension, can be used to show you have the income for the extension.

For income in Thailand, they can use tax documents and bank information to show you have the correct amount.

1. The proof is a letter from your Embassy and if immigration asks for supporting documents your social security pay statement.

2. There is no need for the money to be directly sent to Thailand or that all of it be used here.

It's saying that IF you had permission to stay based on 400,000 Baht before October 1, 2006, you can apply the same way again. If you are making a new application AFTER October 1, 2006, you need to use the 40,000 baht requirement.

That police order became effective October 1, 2006. I hope that helps to clarify.

i just applied for the 1st renewal of my 12mth marriage extension and they only wanted to see income, were not interested in money in the bank.

steve

Ok gentlemen,i got one for you! Now it is after Oct.06 so i have to prove income and savings.. I will get my o visa for the first time in 3 weeks. when my visa expires in one year.what will happin if i have 400,000 in the bank but i am currently between jobs? that is unemployed at the time it expires. :o

What do you mean you will get your O visa for the first time in 3 weeks? A visa is issued by a Consulate so are you leaving Thailand to obtain such a visa in 3 weeks or are you talking about something else?

If you are talking about a new application for extension of stay the requirement is now 40k family income - there is no requirement for any amount in the bank and only those already in the extension of stay system are allowed to use it. And yes that (whichever it is) will have to be proven each and every year to obtain another one year extension of stay.

What do you mean you will get your O visa for the first time in 3 weeks? A visa is issued by a Consulate so are you leaving Thailand to obtain such a visa in 3 weeks or are you talking about something else?

If you are talking about a new application for extension of stay the requirement is now 40k family income - there is no requirement for any amount in the bank and only those already in the extension of stay system are allowed to use it. And yes that (whichever it is) will have to be proven each and every year to obtain another one year extension of stay.

yes i am going to come home in 3 weeks.take my (thai)wife to bali for a vacation. i am going to try to use the consulate in bali.Should i go to Singapore instead? This requirement for thier visa troubles me a great deal. because i change jobs alot and go 6 months sometime without finding work. i will never think this is fair by any means. what if your married with children and having a bad run of luck. They are going to tell you to get out of the country and you cannot see your family again? They are bastards. My wife makes 18,000 which is enough for us to survive if im out of work but not when i have to leave every 90 days.

Firstly nobody is saying you can not see your family. That is the whole reason they will issue a non immigrant O visa to visit family. But you have no right to residence in Thailand just because you are married to a Thai woman.

If you are trying to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for one year your best option is normally your home country if US/EU or OZ. If trying in this area KL sometimes will issue and Singapore will issue with proof of your financial means. Other Consulates are likely to only provide single entry.

If you plan to extend your stay at Immigration in Thailand you would only need a single entry and proof of combined income of 40k per month. If you are out of work when that becomes due if will not be available to you unless the spouse is making that amount.

Firstly nobody is saying you can not see your family. That is the whole reason they will issue a non immigrant O visa to visit family. But you have no right to residence in Thailand just because you are married to a Thai woman.

So if i am poor and only make 30k i should not be allowed to stay in thailand with my wife and children ?

If i have an accedient and sustain an injury without compensation i am to be thrown out of the country in a weel chair when my wife makes 18k that is enough for us to survive? yes you are right i have no right to be here and to be honest i really dont want to be here but i stay because this is what makes my wife happy.its not morally right not to give married couples residence.

If you are trying to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for one year your best option is normally your home country if US/EU or OZ. If trying in this area KL sometimes will issue and Singapore will issue with proof of your financial means. Other Consulates are likely to only provide single entry.

So singapore! thank you. i dont want to travel to the usa for this because it would cost me so much money. i need this money because the job i am on is about to shut down. I have no idea how long i will be out of work.

If you plan to extend your stay at Immigration in Thailand you would only need a single entry and proof of combined income of 40k per month. If you are out of work when that becomes due if will not be available to you unless the spouse is making that amount.

yes this is telling me i cannot see my family if my one year expires and i am unimployed at this time. Because i have to leave the country for 90 days. It is also saying when i turn 50 or retirement age.that i have to have a pension or get out. even if i have money saved. by thier standard i would have to have 20 million baht in the bank to pull in enough interest to satisfy them. we could live off half the amount required. What if my retirement is in stocks and bonds? They drop out the bottom and my returns drop below 40k. not only am i counting my money but i have to take a three month vacation twice a year.You can tell me to get out if i dont like it, but its still wrong to put demands on families that say only wealthy people can stay in thailand. And comming from a country that the average income is 9 to 14 thousand baht per month, its just f****** stupid.

Today i am in good health, have a good job,and enough money to live comfortably. But life is not so kind it kick me in the yarbal every couple of years.So now when i am down im going to be down and out.And not able to see my wife and kids.

I did not say you could not see your wife and family because of financial reasons. What I said was you could not extend your stay at Immigration on a yearly basis. I have not heard of anyone turned down for a non immigrant O visa entry.

There is no requirement to leave the country for 90 days. Period. The requirement you seem to think means this says you can not stay more than 90 days in a six month period using visa exempt entry stamps. There is no block on your entry with a visa.

Calm down Bernie.

If you cannot prove 40,000 Baht a month income try and get a multi entry Non Imm O Visa from KL or Singapore. You will have to leave Thailand every 90 days but can come straight back again. This should give you 15 months stay. When this is finished do it all again.