SURVEY: Will Go-Go Bars survive Covid-19?

Scott

SURVEY: Will Go-Go Bars survive Covid-19?  

291 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was a recent thread concerning the long-term fate of go-go bars.   Which of the options best describes your prediction for the long-term outlook for the go-go bar industry?

Please feel free to leave a comment.  

For further reading:

• Haha 1

whereas years back was more acceptable as there were few other choices.

What are the "other" choices now, which were not available a few years ago?  A go-go bar, massage, soapy massage, etc are pretty unique propositions.

43 minutes ago, allanos said:

whereas years back was more acceptable as there were few other choices.

What are the "other" choices now, which were not available a few years ago?  A go-go bar, massage, soapy massage, etc are pretty unique propositions.

online connecting, tinder etc..

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

For years the trend has been away from finding "company for the night" in a bar to using online apps like Thai Friendly. This has already led to the bar beers being mostly staffed by mothers and aunts while the attractive young daughters peddle their wares online. I think there'll always be a demand for high quality birds in a Gogo-style setting, but the range of pachyderms and hippos in the average Gogo bar over the last few years will be culled by the combined effects of C19 and the apps.

The beer bars in Nana are staffed in the daytime by absolute horrors and sometimes in the evening it's hard seeing any decent quality bar girls. The lower end go go bars are the same in Cowboy and Nana Plaza. Stand out go go bars to look at pretty eye candy, Baccara, Tilac, Billboard, Butterfly and Rainbow 4 in BKK. I haven't been to a go go bar in Pattaya since 2014 so cannot comment.

I've only paid a bar fine once in the last 9 years and that was in Chiang Mai last year. I did meet a bar girl from Nana after the bar closed last September, we swapped LINE in the bar and she gave me a lift in her car back to my apartment 555.

Edited by tribalfusion001

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

I voted for the fewer in the future choice but they could all disappear as far as I'm concerned.  

Love them or Hate them it's all about survival in Thailand so I guess needs must!

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Many of them as we speak are at the mercy of their landlords.

The rents are not cheap & without considerable discounts many will have no opion but to walk away'

The ones used for other reasons will continue

"The ones used for other reasons will continue". What other reasons are there apart from prostitution and alcohol?

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"The ones used for other reasons will continue". What other reasons are there apart from prostitution and alcohol?

Money laundering is another reason. Have you seen the dodgy foreigner types who own beer bars, go go bars, sports bar and clubs in BKK. I've heard a few stories from a friend who manages a sports bar in BKK and I know one guy who is in BKK with connections to a terrorist group.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Money laundering is another reason. Have you seen the dodgy foreigner types who own beer bars, go go bars, sports bar and clubs in BKK. I've heard a few stories from a friend who manages a sports bar in BKK and I know one guy who is in BKK with connections to a terrorist group.

You think they may kidnap you?

The Gogo bars are rip off tourist spots in my opinion.

The locals who know better rarely go, unless they have a friend visiting who has probably never been.

Or, just to watch for the special 50 b draft night.

1000 to 1500 b fines to take a girl for an hour.  Then plus plus for drinks, time with lady..

But, when they open up soon and the international tourists come back there will be demand.

Whether these places can follow the government Covid rules, seems almost impossible.

I bet they will try though.  Limit customers, girls distanced from each other wearing masks, no sitting next to customers, etc.

I would say the same for the DIsco´s and clubs.  Cannot see a way in the near future they can survive the jammed, packed crowds drinking, dancing and partying are what people are attracted too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CGW said:

I don't think it has ever been a big secret that quite a few bars in the popular areas have a dual purpose, cleaning & laundry work just another byproduct so these bars will always open back up, they have probably never made money since the day they opened, the few that made good money & were well run will open back up, those that were surviving week by week most likely won't make it, Ago go very niche market now, whereas years back was more acceptable as there were few other choices.

So whoever opens the bar this year is definitely a criminal.

11 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

So whoever opens the bar this year is definitely a criminal.

Plenty of info on Google if you search.

There are a couple of big chains in BKK who will take over some the fallers and convert them into stylish sports bars, trendy bars and clubs, more upmarket go go bars. Some of the older players in Cowboy were shutting down pre covid-19, Rawhide went this year and the Iranian guy's go go bars are mostly empty inside, but with loads of girls outside. I noticed some of his go go bars were not open every night earlier this year.

should be a thread about girly bars in general not just go-go bars

there was clearly a problem before covid started, now you'll have less tourists for a variety of reasons

then you have bar owners that can't afford to re-open or have sold the business

not sure it'll be the same again. hopefully more prostitution apps get released