US SS form 7162

2 hours ago, Migz said:

I never got the first notice of the Form 7162 (which was probably lost in the mail), so I was hoping to receive a second notice.  Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten it.  HAS ANYONE RECEIVED A SECOND NOTICE?

Not sure anybody has gotten one yet. I think if anybody gets one it will be this month.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

I mailed my first form 7162 by regular mail and I got a second notice today that they never received it. What is the best way to mail it

If you want proof it was sent you could send it by international registered mail (325 baht) or by express mail for about 1600 baht.

6 hours ago, Migz said:

I never got the first notice of the Form 7162 (which was probably lost in the mail), so I was hoping to receive a second notice.  Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten it.  HAS ANYONE RECEIVED A SECOND NOTICE?

I am in exactly the same situation as you. Never received first or second mailing, but it looks like someone just received the second notice today. His comment is above.

7 hours ago, steveb5 said:

Just got off the phone with social security. They didn't receive my first form I sent or they think it wasn't scanned into the computer yet. So they recommended to send it again and made a note on my file that I called. So it may help to call them

May I know what was the phone number of SSA you called?  Thanks.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you want proof it was sent you could send it by international registered mail (325 baht) or by express mail for about 1600 baht.

Well I received a 2nd Request dated Oct 27.  What really frosts me is I received the 1st Request dated June 27 and as I was traveling to the U.S. in late August I took the completed form and mailed it back to the SSA from a U.S. Post Office in California the beginning of September!!!!

The phone number for the direct line to social security is 410-965-0160 it is a direct line so you are not put on hold if no one answers you get a recording call back. You have to be persistent it took me over an hour of calling again and again until somebody picked up the phone. The agent told me it can take a few months for the letter to get there and then it take time again for them to scan it into the system. So if you call like I did and let them know you are alive and you tried mailing your form they may not cut your benefits if the letter arrives late the agent told me

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Just received my second request form today after not receiving the first one.

Bad news. I sent  filled out 7162 forms to three places meant to handle them in June, then got the first mailer early July, sent that in with the return mailer, then called the number and was told it had been received. Now I get the second one today which indicates it wasn't received. VERY UNHAPPY!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cusanus said:

Bad news. I sent  filled out 7162 forms to three places meant to handle them in June, then got the first mailer early July, sent that in with the return mailer, then called the number and was told it had been received. Now I get the second one today which indicates it wasn't received. VERY UNHAPPY!

In June I mailed a copy to FBU Manila, another to Wilkes-Barre PO Box, a third to Wilkes-Barre street address, then in July got the form and mailed in the enclosed SASE. Did each of those again to the disabled person I'm responsible for, so that makes a 100% chance mail is received going by 17 years experience, but less than 13% mail to SS is received. Very unsettling.  Should mention that the person I care for lost her benefits in 2018 even though she hadn't been here long enough to trigger a form so it wasn't right for her to lose benefits. And more... despite hours and hours of phone calls numerous times, she has NEVER once received anything from SS except test mails when talking on the phone. Nobody responds when asked why. 

Same issue here, quite upsetting

1st copy of 7162

Received :       July 8

Mailed:            July 19  (registered int. mail)) 350 baht

Rec. USPS NY: July 30

Delivered:       Oct 3

2nd copy of 7162

Dated:              Oct 27

Received :       Nov 16 (today)

SSA comments: "This is your second notice. If we don't receive it within 45 days we may stop your benefits." I have no reason to believe they can receive and process the second form in time.

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. This whole SSA is soooo screwed up and inefficient!

Unfortunately, some of us will probably have our benefits suspended in February and will have to go thru hell to try and get them back. Very unsettling especially when this is the only income for some of us.

I wish everyone the best and if anybody ever finds the magic pill to make everything ok, please let us know.

32 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. This whole SSA is soooo screwed up and inefficient!

Unfortunately, some of us will probably have our benefits suspended in February and will have to go thru hell to try and get them back. Very unsettling especially when this is the only income for some of us..

Will again call the Office of Earnings & International Operations 410-965-0160 in an hour and give them an earful. Will post the outcome for you. Then I'll send the forms again with a copy of the postal receipt for the June 30 batch and complain about lack of mail for my charge. Eight forms sent so far in four batches and none tallied.  The office said it was received via phone, but now the letter says it wasn't. In five years nothing sent to my charge despite hours of phone calls and numerous mail queries.  Looks like SS wasn't too hot to start, but it's a real mess post covid.

5 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Will again call the Office of Earnings & International Operations 410-965-0160 in an hour and give them an earful. Will post the outcome for you. Then I'll send the forms again with a copy of the postal receipt for the June 30 batch and complain about lack of mail for my charge. Eight forms sent so far in four batches and none tallied.  The office said it was received via phone, but now the letter says it wasn't. In five years nothing sent to my charge despite hours of phone calls and numerous mail queries.  Looks like SS wasn't too hot to start, but it's a real mess post covid.

It's possible the second mailing doesn't prove the first letter was never received, so the OEIO officer may have been correct.  I tend to trust an observation that something happened more than an observation that it didn't.

Good luck with your call.

On 11/15/2022 at 5:47 AM, Migz said:

I never received my first 7162.  Got my 2nd notice today (11/16/2022).  The notice stated it(2nd notice) was mailed to me on Oct. 27.  I sent response today using regular mail, not registered.

Boy, what a mess. SS no longer honors Magic Jack calls except tagged after hours, so you can't talk to someone. The Operations number works (if you have VPN), but they aren't taking calls tonight. There's a way to bypass the country block with Google Voice, but I let mine lapse, hardly used it. So, you have to use paid cell bahts or a Magic Jack Google Voice trick, not sure I even remember how to do that. My first try with cell tonight used 100 bahts or so, then the call was dropped... Doesn't look like a personal call will go through tonight, but will fill out the form and type the remarks in red about not getting mail, not having eight forms already mailed tallied, and well, could be no benefits come February.  I don't see the point of using EMS or such because there's almost zero chance it won't get delivered, the problem clearly is the backlog. For the guy who said they don't always honor them without barcodes, I've never had that problem Make SURE you add your SS number in the field at right or they won't know who you are. Also put in the COC for Thailand, 929.  Meanwhile, I've been paying 12call now for about fifteen minutes waiting for a rep. Will probably get dropped again. YEP! I started with about 250 baht, ran out of bahts a few minutes ago after about a half hour. Tried changing VPN servers, no go. Screwed. 

Dummy.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, SOL with both Google Voice and MJ. SS knows the call is originating out of the country, so the guy will say they aren't open. If I'd kept my Google Voice I could still use legacy mode and route the Google call through MJ, but I let it lapse and the new version won't let you do that anymore, damn. Using a VPN doesn't seem to work, either. A cell call costs a fortune, so it appears there's no way to talk to a rep anymore. IRS calls are probably also set up that way now.  Has anyone got a cheap way to call the US gov anymore? OH WAIT! I'm finally on hold using Google Voice w/o having to route it through Magic Jack. Son of a gun. Blew 200+ baht. But Google Voice does work. Maybe it's because of the time, but it's 10:45 in New York and they open at 8:00, so I don't know why it's working now.  Oh, yeah, sure. I changed my VPN server to New York. But my charge doesn't have a VPN. Oh, sht.  

Edited by cusanus
9 hours ago, cusanus said:

Well, SOL with both Google Voice and MJ. SS knows the call is originating out of the country, so the guy will say they aren't open. If I'd kept my Google Voice I could still use legacy mode and route the Google call through MJ, but I let it lapse and the new version won't let you do that anymore, damn. Using a VPN doesn't seem to work, either. A cell call costs a fortune, so it appears there's no way to talk to a rep anymore. IRS calls are probably also set up that way now.  Has anyone got a cheap way to call the US gov anymore? OH WAIT! I'm finally on hold using Google Voice w/o having to route it through Magic Jack. Son of a gun. Blew 200+ baht. But Google Voice does work. Maybe it's because of the time, but it's 10:45 in New York and they open at 8:00, so I don't know why it's working now.  Oh, yeah, sure. I changed my VPN server to New York. But my charge doesn't have a VPN. Oh, sht.  

My Google Voice number is from the PST/PDT timezone.  If I called SSA too early and got a "we're not open" response, I would re-dial but add *67 at the start.  I never use a VPN for GV calls since they are eventually routed onto POTS (plain old telephone service) anyway.

12 hours ago, cusanus said:

Ok, got through finally using Google voice and VPN server in New York, 800-772-1213. Guy was very helpful, confirmed that my form was logged June 29. Must assume my friend's was, too, though w/o barcode since they don't send her mail. Apparently no way to fix that problem since nobody knows why. Oh, yeah, Magic Jack works, too, as long as connected VPN server in New York. The guy told me he was in the Wilkes-Barre building at the time, that there are boxes of thousands of 7162 forms waiting to be processed. 

I can sure feel your frustration, but I'm glad you got it all sorted out.

Thanks for your posts as it helps all of us.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:54 PM, cusanus said:

The guy told me he was in the Wilkes-Barre building at the time, that there are boxes of thousands of 7162 forms waiting to be processed. 

So they just don't give a damn. Why don't they do something reasonable, such as mail out a personal code to SS recipients and allow the recipient to login to an SS website and confirm they're still living and update info. My social security does some of this right now. And apparently, they're outfitting a new page that will do much more. https://beta.ssa.gov/

On 11/19/2022 at 1:39 PM, John Drake said:

So they just don't give a damn. Why don't they do something reasonable, such as mail out a personal code to SS recipients and allow the recipient to login to an SS website and confirm they're still living and update info. My social security does some of this right now. And apparently, they're outfitting a new page that will do much more. https://beta.ssa.gov/

Need to work with the IRS, I file taxes every year, is this something a dead man does?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, flexomike said:

Need to work with the IRS, I file taxes every year, is this something a dead man does?

You would think so. I believe many/most of us file a return every year. But there is probably a privacy firewall between the two agencies.

• Like 1

SS is starting to really <deleted> me off, sent first forms in for me and the wife in Mid July, last month they were finally received by an agent for SS. Today we both got our second notices, can't take a chance that they didn't lose them so sending in the second set tomorrow, they need to hire some more help our change their way for this stupid reporting system worse than 90 day reports - 555 Rant done time to crack a cold one

15 hours ago, flexomike said:

SS is starting to really <deleted> me off, sent first forms in for me and the wife in Mid July, last month they were finally received by an agent for SS. Today we both got our second notices, can't take a chance that they didn't lose them so sending in the second set tomorrow, they need to hire some more help our change their way for this stupid reporting system worse than 90 day reports - 555 Rant done time to crack a cold one

Maybe I can help clear up some things if you haven't read my last message or two. Most everyone whose form was processed seems to be getting a second notice that they shouldn't. There was never a problem for most before covid, so try to be patient. Also, if you have a VPN and set the server for New York (try another if that fails) you will get answered by a human who can tell you if your form is processed. Use Skype, Google Voice, all work fine if using the right VPN server. The special operations number wasn't taking calls last week so I used 1-800-772-1213 . If your 7162 was NOT received, the SSA changes your address to match your last IRS 1040, YES they do, so it's a good idea to file a 1040 even if you don't have to, also so you can collect stimulus payments by direct payment to your bank. When you call it takes several minutes wait listening to boilerplate BS before a person answers. If you're not hooked to the right VPN server, they'll say it isn't during working hours, so change servers and try again. I'm not defending the system, but it works super well normally, PO is 99.99% reliable, no need for tracking, no need to bother, but it's easy to call if you know how. My friend I care for is good now, too, finally receiving mail even though the last form sent is wrong, I'm sure her's was processed along with mine since I sent them in together. Don't let this get under your skin. If you don't have a VPN or know how to do that, find a computer geek friend who can help, sit down about 8PM over a cup of coffee while calling up using Skype or Google Voice or Magic Jack and you'll get confirmation.  If you send in a filled in blank 7162 w/o barcode, don't forget to add your SS# in the box at right and COC code 929. This about covers it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/17/2022 at 8:14 AM, gamb00ler said:

My Google Voice number is from the PST/PDT timezone.  If I called SSA too early and got a "we're not open" response, I would re-dial but add *67 at the start.  I never use a VPN for GV calls since they are eventually routed onto POTS (plain old telephone service) anyway.

Too early? If you call outside the EST window that's all you would ever get, so how does *67 cause them to beam up all dressed up and instantly appear at work  in the middle of the night? if your POTS number was assigned to Montana, you'd have to make sure it was in the EST window, no problem. Well, that used to work until recently, but no longer I find. The SSA senses it doesn't originate from the EST area even if the time is okay, yeah, weird, so I had to use a VPN, but that didn't work until I used a New York server. Using *67 might work, but you didn't explain how. Maybe tell us that. Maybe you should try again and see if it still does.  

@cusanus

From the SSA website:

You can call our National 800 Number at 1-800-772-1213 between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Wait times to speak to a representative are typically shorter early in the day (between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. local time) or later in the afternoon (between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. local time). We are also less busy later in the week (Wednesday to Friday) and later in the month. We also offer many automated telephone services, available 24 hours a day, so you do not need to speak with a representative.

The SSA answers calls during the above hours in you local timezone which is determined based upon your area code (PST for my GV #).  When you add the *67 prefix, the call recipient doesn't see the telephone number you are calling from.  In this case, it seems the SSA will answer your call based upon the time in their local timezone which is EST.  If I called too early for PST region callers, adding *67 would cause SSA to answer based on the service hours in the EST region.

I'm not 100% clear on how GV calls are delivered to POTS, but I don't think using a VPN will help in your case.  When GV connects your call to POTS it is the area code that determines the region where the call originated not the source IP address of the GV data packets.

6 hours ago, cusanus said:

Most everyone whose form was processed seems to be getting a second notice that they shouldn't.

The second letter was probably triggered by long delivery times that exceeded the 60 day return period, which could trigger a computer flag. My own letter took almost 100 days.

Their second letter stated "If you mailed the first letter just before receiving the second, then you do not need to do anything", because they will continue to process the first letters until the very end of their processing window.

Just to be safe, I faxed my 2nd letter to them today. A tip, the only fax machines I found were limited to A4 size (no adjustments).  The personalized barcode is on the letter's edge so the fax operator shrank the letter to A4 size before sending. The SSA's fax machine received the letter with no problem. Their fax number is 1-833-719-0632.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

I have sent 7162 by Thai Post EMS for years with no problem.  I have used regular mail for other things and never had a problem, for wanted to be able to track receipt of the SSA form.

This year I mailed the form in July and received the second notice last week that my form had not arrived, etc.  I was ready to blame Thai Post so I found my original tracking number and checked.  Thai Post was not to blame!

-- 19 July accepted Pattaya PO

-- 20 July processed at BKK mail center

-- 30 JULY inbound at US international office of exchange

-- 13 OCTOBER - arrived Wilkes Barre PO

-- 13 October final delivery - signed JD

I was curious about the August/September gap and remembered the USPS site has tracking using the Thai Post EMS tracking number.  Checked online and it shows the two-month delivery time from NYC to Wilkes-Barre, and was picked up at the PO 5:33 PM 13 October by "JD".   Great service!  70 days to travel 120 miles!

-- 31 July arrived NYC USPS regional facility

-- 04 August in transit

-- 13 October arrived Wilkes-Barre PO

-- 13 October picked up by individual "JD"

On a side note, I had a friend in Dallas mail documents from the Dallas main PO to the neighborhood PO three miles away, and it took 15 days.