US SS form 7162

On 7/12/2022 at 5:40 PM, Pib said:

Although tracking might give a warm-fuzzy of knowing where the mailing currently is just having a tracking number of a mailing to Wilkes Barre will be of little to no assistance in satisfying the requirement of the Wilkes-Barre SSA folks receiving the form and updating the system. If for some reason you get a second notice I seriously doubt telling the SSA folks you have a tracking number showing arrival at Wilkes Barre will satisfy the SSA folks in requiring a 7162 either provided via a 2nd mailing to Wilkes-Barre and/or an email/scan to Manila.

I would be interested to see more current tracking results for a Registered Airmail to Wilkes-Barre...hope more people post some tracking results like Kivetoruk did above a few post showing  around a 9 day delivery time.  I was surprised indeed based on my 5 test mailings back in 2019 where it took 21 to 40 days for a Registered Airmail envelope to reach an addresses in California and Texas but a Regular (unregistered) Airmail took 10 to 14 days.  

Back then a Registered Airmail cost less than Bt100 but now Bt325.   Maybe with the new & improved price Registered Airmail price they are moving the registered email faster combined with registered mail not getting bogged down in U.S. customs for 3 to 7 days at the U.S. international entry point which I experienced with each of my registered mailings which was  a simple envelope with one A4 sized piece of paper in it.

Yea, hope more people post Registered Airmail tracking results....would be nice to know info for us folks listening in.

I thought EMS was the way to go, but was quoted about 1500 baht. No way, like you say, it won't make a difference in the end. Anyway, my experience of 17 years is that outgoing mail is terribly reliable and for most of us so is incoming mail. Alas, for some reason, some people do not get mail from the US government and have to ponder the best way to ensure the form is received and benefits not stopped as happened to my friend once. I've always gotten mine and sent it back ordinary mail with no problem. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I thought EMS was the way to go, but was quoted about 1500 baht. No way, like you say, it won't make a difference in the end. Anyway, my experience of 17 years is that outgoing mail is terribly reliable and for most of us so is incoming mail.

A good option is registered air mail that costs 325 baht now. It gets there sooner and you have proof it is received.

A earlier post with tracking info shows that it took about 9 days to get there.

27 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Received mine today. Monday, July 18, 2022.

Date on letter is June 27, 2022.

Will mail tomorrow.

The letters for the wife and I were both dated 27 June also, but we received both on 8 July to our Bangkok address.  

What part of Thailand do you live in?

2 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Pib,

Nonthaburi

Strange...I live in western Bangkok which borders southern Nonthaburi...I go into Nanthaburi almost daily for shopping....we probably live within 15 minutes of each other as the bird 

flies.   

Our 7262s are both "generated" on 27 June....mine arrives in 11 days on 8 July but yours arrives in 21 days on 18 July.

Assuming both our 7162s actually got mailed by the SSA on 27 or 28 June versus the SSA actually mailing yours maybe a week or so after 27 June, it goes to show total mailing times can vary very significantly even between close-by locations.

I have had Thai Post registered airmail sent to SSA using SSA's envelope returned by the US Postal Service stating it could not be forwarded. This was in 2019 and thus pre-Covid.

I note that this was for form 7161 and not form 7162.

Returned 7161.jpg

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
28 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I have had Thai Post registered airmail sent to SSA using SSA's envelope returned by the US Postal Service stating it could not be forwarded. This was in 2019 and thus pre-Covid.

That is strange. I think it might of been a mistake done by USPS.

I have been sending mine by registered email for a long time now. Never has one returned.

3 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I note that this was for form 7161 and not form 7162.

Returned 7161.jpg

More like 2018 as it was mailed on 28 Aug 2018 (uses a DD/MM/YYYY format) according to the registered postage stamped and returned on 7 Sep 2018 according to the yellow Nixie label (uses a MM/DD/YY format).    Just as FYI see image below for the coding possible on a Nixie label....coding that gives some insight on "why and where" it was rejected among other things...although the "why" may be vague.

The "why" reason of "Vacant" is indeed strange as I doubt the SSA in Wilkes Barre closed-up shop....probably USPS mail scanning/reading machines misread the address and automatically rejected it....a USPS human may not have ever done a double check of the rejection.  

From looking at the Nixie label put on the envelope and using the Nixie label example below it appears it was rejected at the USPS Processing & Distribution Center (P&DC) #100 in New York City which is an international entry point/sorting facility for incoming foreign mail.   I expect the USPS mail sorting/reading machine at P&DC #100 in NYC had a hiccup in scanning/reading the address and automatically applied the Nixie label to return to sender with reason of "Vacant" mail address.   So, it appears the envelope was kicked-back in NYC and not Wilkes Barre.   

Nixie Label Coding

image.png.188189b541878cfdcbacde2dc7f2ae97.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Pib said:

More like 2018 as it was mailed on 28 Aug 2018 (uses a DD/MM/YYYY format) according to the registered postage stamped an returned on 7 Sep 2018 according to the yellow Nixie label (uses a MM/DD/YY format).    Just as FYI see image below for the coding possible on a Nixie label....coding that gives some insight on "why and where" it was rejected among other things...although the "why" may be vague.

The "why" reason of "Vacant" is indeed strange as I doubt the SSA in Wilkes Barre closed-up shop....probably USPS mail scanning/reading machines misread the address and automatically rejected it....a USPS human may not have ever done a double check of the rejection.  

From looking at the Nixie label put on the envelope and using the Nixie label example below it appears it was rejected at the USPS Processing & Distribution Center (P&DC) #100 in New York City which is an international entry point/sorting facility for incoming foreign mail.   I expect the USPS mail sorting/reading machine at P&DC #100 in NYC had a hiccup in scanning/reading the address and automatically applied the Nixie label to return to sender with reason of "Vacant" mail address.   So, it appears the envelope was kicked-back in NYC and not Wilkes Barre.   

Nixie Label Coding

image.png.188189b541878cfdcbacde2dc7f2ae97.png

Yes, it was from 2018. Seems I misread the date on the return label.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the nixie label. I could not imagine that the SSA's PO box would be vacant, so I would agree with you that it was probably a glitch in the USPS system.

2 hours ago, flexomike said:

anybody in Rayong received theirs yet, neither me or my wife have received ours yet, never had a problem with mail from SS, not worried just curious

In another topic about the 7162's a person mentioned getting theirs yesterday.

I think they may be sending them out in batches.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, flexomike said:

maybe going in alphabetical order?

Doubtful.  I say that because the wife and I with a last name beginning with a letter halfway thru the alphabet got ours at the same time as a neighbor whose last name begins with a letter very early in the alphabet.  Our and the neighbor's 7262s were generated on the same date/27 June and they all arrived 8 July here in our Bangkok moobaan...so it doesn't appear last names affected the actual mailing date.

The 7162s could indeed be going out in batches maybe based on countries, social security numbers, or "gosh knows what."  And I expect address/location in Thailand can have a very significant affect.

Received mine Friday in CM, but my friend who has NEVER received one appears will not as she never has in the last five years despite repeated queries about why she gets no government correspondence even from the IRS. Her house is in the same tambon as mine. That's why I send hers to both Manila and Wilkes Barre. I'll include another form for her with mine in the return envelope with the comment "why...". 

17 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Received mine Friday in CM, but my friend who has NEVER received one appears will not as she never has in the last five years despite repeated queries about why she gets no government correspondence even from the IRS. Her house is in the same tambon as mine. That's why I send hers to both Manila and Wilkes Barre. I'll include another form for her with mine in the return envelope with the comment "why...".

Has she querried the Manila SSA FBU to confirm her correct address is onfile with the SSA?  

And for the IRS they would use the address from her last federal tax return unless she mailed them separate correspondence with her new/latest.

Response.

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Because of postal service interruptions around the world due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Social Security Administration (SSA) suspended the mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 in 2020 and 2021. Beginning June 2022, SSA has resumed mailing the reporting forms. 

Most beneficiaries will receive the form in June or July 2022. A follow-up form will be mailed to non-responders in October 2022. If the completed form is not received in the U.S. by the end of the year, benefits will stop beginning with the payment scheduled to be made on February 3, 2023. 

To avoid the suspension of your benefits, please complete the form as soon as you receive it and mail it back to Wilkes-Barre, PA using the enclosed business reply envelope. Do not submit the completed form to the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila or to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

That has been Manila's standard policy for years and similar wording use to be posted on their website before their website got revised/slimed down.  And this policy is in accordance with HQ SSA instructions (see quote/link at bottom) which instructs FBUs like Manila to forward the Foreign Enforcement Questionnaires (FEQ....i.e., 7162, 7161, etc) on to Wilkes Barre if the beneficiary sends it to the FBU instead of Wilkes Barre as instructed the 7162 mailing.   It can take too long to get back to Wilkes-Barre when mailed directed from Thailand....routing it thru the Manila FBU ain't going to improve time to Wilkes-Barre.

Basically FBUs do "not" want to get involved in the Are You Dead or Alive process until 1 Nov which is after May/Jun first mailing from Wilkes-Barre and the 2nd follow-up mailing in mid Sep from Wilkes Barre.  Since the 2nd mailing is suppose to happen approx mid Sep and it gives a beneficiary 45 days to respond, that adds up to 1 Nov. If the beneficiary didn't receive a 7162 from Wilkes Barre by 1 Nov then the FBU will happily provide (preferred by email) a blank FEQ to complete and email back to the FBU for further processing.  

Personally, I would not want to send my FEQ to Manila "before 1 Nov" since HQ SSA instructions basically tells them to avoid involvement before 1 Nov as HQ SSA wants the Wilkes Barre process to run its course....the desired/standard process for the annual Are You Dead or Alive FEQ process. 

And when I have queried Manila in the past about not getting a FEQ their response was always inline with the one khwaibah posted a few posts up.  But come 1 Nov they will happily get into the FEQ process if you didn't receive one. 

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655007

D. FEQs Returned Directly To PC8, The SSA Field Office, Or FBU

It is important for WBDOC to receive all FEQs for scanning into AIRS and recording on the responder list. Some beneficiaries return their completed questionnaires directly to PC8, an SSA Field Office (FO), or FBU instead of mailing it back in the return envelope (addressed to WBDOC) which they received with the FEQ form. These instructions describe how PC8, FOs, and FBUs handle FEQs they receive directly from the beneficiaries (or their representatives).

1. FEQ form received before benefits have been suspended for non-receipt of

FEQ

If there are:

• any changes reported on the form, the office that receives the form should process any actions that are within their responsibility before forwarding to WBDOC; or

• no changes reported on the FEQ, or the office is not able to process the changes reported, they should forward the FEQ to WBDOC for processing.

2. FEQ form received after benefits have been suspended for non-receipt of

FEQ

Follow these instructions:

• the FBU must forward these FEQs to WBDOC for processing; or

• the FOs and PC8 should process any actions they decide are necessary (including reinstatement of benefits if applicable) and then forward the FEQ to WBDOC in an envelope marked “SCAN ONLY.”

•  

On 7/19/2022 at 10:01 AM, Pib said:

Has she querried the Manila SSA FBU to confirm her correct address is onfile with the SSA?  

And for the IRS they would use the address from her last federal tax return unless she mailed them separate correspondence with her new/latest.

Yes, have done that several times over the years, but they give no answer to that. When she lost her benefits the first time they refused to say why that happened. Spent several hours on the phone in 2018 with SS, two or three calls, and they claimed they couldn't change her address, though the one they had was close enough. The 1040 has always been correct. The government refuses to send her mail or the postal service doesn't work, but she always gets other stuff. They don't like her it seems, but won't say why. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Received mine yesterday Jomtien. 

At the top of the form what date is shown?.....that's the day the form was generated for mailing.

The forms for the wife and I were generated on 27 June and we received in Bangkok on 8 Jul.

Assuming our forms were mailed at the same time since they were generated on the same date (27 June) that means your form took around two weeks longer to reach you in Jontiem compared to mine reaching me in Bangkok.   If your envelope was like mine there are no mailing date on the envelope; only the generation date on the form.

That's a BIG difference "if" the SSA did mail our forms at approximately the same time based on the generation date.

Could only mean foreign mail going to Jontiem takes a lot longer than if going to Bangkok.....OR, the SSA mailed the forms at different dates although having the same 27 June generation date.  Which one applies will probably remain a postal mystery.

• Like 2

Note: Please do your own due diligence. I'm relaying my personal experience, whether it's normal policy I don't know. 

I just got off the phone with an office representative of :

Social Security Administration
Office of Earnings & International Operations

Telephone number: 410-965-0160.

I called at 10.00 am local time (Pennsylvania) 

No wait time, the call was answered immediately. 

I asked the representative if my mailed Form 7162 had been entered into my records yet? (Tracking showed delivery date of July 5th)

After verifying my identity she told me no, nothing in the records yet. 

She then told me that the phone call met the requirements of Form 7162, and that I needed to take no further action. 

I questioned her further, asking is that because I told you I have tracking information showing delivery of my mailed form?

She replied "No, today's phone call alone meets the Form 7162 requirements. I have noted this call in your records.Nothing further needs to be done."

She did mention to me that a faxed Form 7162 would also be accepted. She commented that she was unsure if the fax system automatically scanned the forms into the system or it had to be done manually. 

Good luck to everyone. 

• Like 1
On 7/22/2022 at 10:07 PM, Kivetoruk said:

Note: Please do your own due diligence. I'm relaying my personal experience, whether it's normal policy I don't know. 

I just got off the phone with an office representative of :

Social Security Administration
Office of Earnings & International Operations

Telephone number: 410-965-0160.

I called at 10.00 am local time (Pennsylvania) 

No wait time, the call was answered immediately. 

I asked the representative if my mailed Form 7162 had been entered into my records yet? (Tracking showed delivery date of July 5th)

After verifying my identity she told me no, nothing in the records yet. 

She then told me that the phone call met the requirements of Form 7162, and that I needed to take no further action. 

I questioned her further, asking is that because I told you I have tracking information showing delivery of my mailed form?

She replied "No, today's phone call alone meets the Form 7162 requirements. I have noted this call in your records.Nothing further needs to be done."

She did mention to me that a faxed Form 7162 would also be accepted. She commented that she was unsure if the fax system automatically scanned the forms into the system or it had to be done manually. 

Good luck to everyone. 

Thanks for that.