US SS form 7162

Me and the wife got our forms today, Rayong, has anybody ever sent both forms in the same envelope, a little pricey to send two by registered mail, going to the States in early August, might just take them with me and mail from there.

14 hours ago, flexomike said:

Me and the wife got our forms today, Rayong, has anybody ever sent both forms in the same envelope, a little pricey to send two by registered mail, going to the States in early August, might just take them with me and mail from there.

I see no reason why you could not put both of them in the same envelope.

You could mail them while in states as well. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, racyrick said:

Just FYI, I still have not received my forms 7161 and 7162 here in Khon Kaen.

This is the first time in 7 years I did not receive my forms. I am very concerned.

Any other people still missing forms in Khon Kaen? Thanks

I haven't received mine either.  It also happened to me in 2019.  I did not receive the first notice, but I got the second notice mid October of 2019.

• Like 1
On 7/13/2022 at 8:16 AM, Pib said:

Yea, I'm really surprised your Registered Airmail got to Wilkes Barre so fast...in only around 9 days because as I mentioned earlier my 5 envelope test mailings in 2019 to CA and TX addresses took 21 to 40 days to arrive.  And only around 5 days of that 21-40 days time was from the NY Int'l entry point after customs clearance to the final CA to TX address.  The bulk of the time was just Missing In Action tracking  time between Bangkok and the US entry point and getting bogged down in US entry point customs.  

But hey, things change over time...sometimes for the better. Hopefully, your approx 9 day Register Airmail time is the new norm vs the 21 to 40 days norm I experienced in 2019 over several months.. 

Hopefully others who used Registered Airmail to mail back their 7162 will provide USPS tracking crossfeed.  That will confirm whether your fast time was an outlyer or the new norm.  I hope it's the new norm.

I just completed a test mailing of "Regular Airmail" to an address in Los Angeles CA and another address in Houston TX...on the day of arrival the envelopes are scanned and I get an email notification of arrival.   I wanted to do a test in 2022 as my last tests were in 2019 as I talked in above post.   Each Regular Airmail costs Bt49....Registered Airmail would have been Bt325 per envelope.

Well, the envelope from Bangkok to LA took 10 days to arrive....and the envelope from Bangkok to Houston took 18 days. 

Based on tracking I did in 2019 the envelope going to the LA address would have entered the U.S. at the USPS International Service Center/Customs in LA....once released it just had a short trip of probably a day to the final address also in the LA metro area.  As mentioned earlier, total time was 10 days.

Also based on tracking I did in 2019 the letter going to Houston would have entered the U.S. at the USPS International Service Center/Customs in NYC....once released it would then start its trek from NYC to Houston which according to the USPS takes 1 to 5 business days for First Class mail but I figure 5 to 7 business days is more accurate.  As mentioned earlier, total time was 18 days

So, if I use an estimate of 5 days from NYC to Houston that means the envelope arrived NYC from Bangkok in 13 days (18-5)...and if it had been a 7162 going to next door Wilkes Barre PA that would have probably taken another 2 days.  So from this test I'm estimate a "Regular" Airmail (not Registered) takes around 15 days to go from Bangkok to Wilkes Barre....or let's just say two weeks which is probably easier to remember.    This two week time is pretty close to your 9 day time for the "Registered Airmail."

These 2022 test mailing results are pretty close to my 2019 results of basically it takes around two weeks for Regular Airmail from Bangkok to reach a U.S. east or west coast address like Wilkes Barre...and 2.5 weeks to reach a middle U.S. address.

So, since the wife and I mailed our 7162 via Regular Airmail on 8 July and using a 15 day mail time to Wilkes Barre that means our 7162s should have arrived the Wilkes Barre o/a 23 July.   Hopefully they did arrive and we will not be on the SSA second/follow-up mail list....time will tell.   

11 hours ago, Pib said:

So, since the wife and I mailed our 7162 via Regular Airmail on 8 July and using a 15 day mail time to Wilkes Barre that means our 7162s should have arrived the Wilkes Barre o/a 23 July.   Hopefully they did arrive and we will not be on the SSA second/follow-up mail list....time will tell.   

Not sure where mine is at. Sent from here on the 18th by registered airmail and it was at Suvarnabhumi on the 20th.

USPS just updates it once a day and it says the same thing. Got a update email this morning at 5:48 (that is the evening of the 4th on the east coast).

image.png.667c6a98d8310ac98ee4fcd89dc7543a.png

Good to have this feedback/crossfeed on mailing times to the U.S.....by register airmail and regular airmail.  With Registered Airmail now so expensive like Bt325 for a standard sized envelope in comparison to Bt49 for Regular Airmail it might make some more comfortable in using Regular Airmail.  Personally, I've never had a problem (knock on wood--my head) in regular airmail reaching the final U.S. address in two to three weeks.  Hope more folks post their Registered Airmail USPS tracking results.

Comparing my 2022 results for the Regular Airmail test mail (my earlier post), the current status of your Registered Airmail, and my 2019 experience/tracking of test Registered Mail, it seems both Regular and Registered Airmail get from Bangkok to a USPS International Service Center (where mail first enters the U.S.) at the same speed.  Then at that International Service Center is where mail can possibly get stuck in the mud for a while.

However, based on a couple of Registered Airmail tracking results for 2022 it appears Registered Airmail is not getting stuck in "U.S. Customs in NYC" for 10 to 20 days (yes, 10 to 20 days) which I experienced in four Register Airmail test mails in early 2019.  At times I thought the Registered Airmail had went MIA before one day it would pop-up on tracking showing it at an USPS International Service Center.   These test mails were standard sized envelopes with one piece of paper inside mailed at the same time at the same Bangkok post office counter.  

And if I remember right one or two other folks make posts in this thread and a related 7162 where they experienced the same "long" Registered Airmail mailing time in years past.  Hopefully, the USPS and Customs (which share facilities at International Service Centers) have resolved whatever problem in years past that caused Registered Airmail envelopes arriving at the Jamaica (NYC) International Service Center/Customs to seemly just get stuck in the mud for 10 to 20 days but Regular Airmail did not get stuck.

I had a theory "in 2019"  that since many package/parcels are sent via Registered Mail due to their value, which almost always get a Customs review for X-days/weeks, that Registered envelopes may have been mixed in the same large shipping air container used for Registered mail (parcels or envelopes) and couldn't continue its trek until the "entire container" of Registered Parcels (which also contained Register envelopes) was cleared for release by Customs back to the USPS.   And since it took a while to open/check/x-ray parcels/packages that created a healthy delay in releasing container.

But Regular Airmail envelopes were not mixed with Registered Airmail envelopes and the Regular mail envelopes zipped thru Customs which allowed that mail to immediately continue its trek to the final address.   

Just my theory back in 2019 when my Regular and Registered Airmail test mailings showed Regular mail arriving in about two weeks but Registered mail taking a LOT longer apparently due to getting stuck in the mud at the USPS International Service Center.

• Like 1

7/13/22 Received 7162 mailing in Bangkok 10110
7/14/22 Mailed form at Thai Post Phrakhanong PO 325 baht tracking
7/23/22 Processed through JFK
as of 7/28/22 last seen in Jamaica, NY (the town where JFK is situated)
July 28, 2022
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

last update on Thai Post EMS is 7/23/22

I'll wait a few weeks and remail via 49 baht airmail.

Somewhat related: during the same period have a USPS International Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope (credit cards, SIM, debit card, government ID) inbound, $40.85, tracking on both USPS and Thai Post EMS. Mailed 7/28/22 (Boston, MA), delivered Phra Khanong 8/4/22.

Edited by bamnutsak
15 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

7/13/22 Received 7162 mailing in Bangkok 10110
7/14/22 Mailed form at Thai Post Phrakhanong PO 325 baht tracking
7/23/22 Processed through JFK
as of 7/28/22 last seen in Jamaica, NY (the town where JFK is situated)
July 28, 2022
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

last update on Thai Post EMS is 7/23/22

Jamaica in the Queens area of NYC is where the USPS International Service Center/Data Processing Center/Customs is located.  Above indicates your Registered Airmail got stuck in the mud from 23 to 28 July (5 days)...probably in Customs....before being cleared/released back to the USPS for continuation of its trek to Wilkes Barr.   

And here's the kicker, the envelope may have arrived JFK "before" 7/23/22 and just went MIA/into stealth mode giving the appearance it's still on its way from Bangkok to the U.S. when in fact it was just in limbo/no man's land/marching-in-place/on-hold status at JFK until the Service Center/Customs scanned it to show it was at JFK.  

Supposedly there at five USPS International Service Centers for the continental U.S. and the NYC center handles the most incoming foreign mail among those five.  

The wife and I got our forms on July 19th and sent them back the same day by Registered Airmail.

They departed Suvarnabhumi Mail Center on July 21st and that's the last we have heard from them.

When they get to the US, will Thai Post Tracking show their location, or do I have to use USPS tracking?

2 hours ago, zlodnick said:

When they get to the US, will Thai Post Tracking show their location, or do I have to use USPS tracking?

Thai post tracking does not always show all of the USPS tracking info.

This is a good site to use for the tracking. It will show both of them. https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/

I amalso getting emails from USPS tracking. You can set it up after you track it the first time. Link: https://www.usps.com/

If you have a smartphone install the USPS and Thai Postal mail tracking apps.  Both work good.  The USPS app will give more tracking details once the mail enters the U.S. than the Thai Postal app which skimps on details once entering the U.S.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

OP here. I received my Form 7162 a few weeks ago but I have not received Form 7161, for my dependent. Has anyone received their 7161 yet?

I'm thinking if it does not arrive by mid-month I will download the form and fill it in myself and send it together with my 7162.

4 hours ago, djeetyet said:

OP here. I received my Form 7162 a few weeks ago but I have not received Form 7161, for my dependent. Has anyone received their 7161 yet?

I'm thinking if it does not arrive by mid-month I will download the form and fill it in myself and send it together with my 7162.

As i posted above, I have not received either 7161 or 7162 as of today. I live in Khon Kaen.

Well I've been waiting patiently for a month ans still no 7162 arrival. (Though at the beginning of 2022 I did get the SSA benefits 1099 form therefore I know they have my current address.) So I'm going to "jump the gun" and DIY: download the form and mail it to Wilkes Barre. A couple of questions:

1)The most update 7162 I could find on line is the (7-2011) Destroy Prior Editions version. Can anyone  steer me to the 2022 version?

2) I only have the PO box address:

Social Security Administration

P. O. Box 7162 Wilkes-Barre

Pennsylvania 18767-7162 U*S*A.

Can anyone provide their street address?

All my previous "dead or alive" records have miraculously vanished, after two covid-plagued years....Thank you much in advance,

On 8/5/2022 at 12:31 PM, zlodnick said:

The wife and I got our forms on July 19th and sent them back the same day by Registered Airmail.

They departed Suvarnabhumi Mail Center on July 21st and that's the last we have heard from them.

Did it finally show up in tracking?

I had a message that mine had departed Thailand on July 27 but after that no updates at all until August 10 (now in New York). 

On 8/6/2022 at 7:29 AM, djeetyet said:

My daughter's 7161 has not arrived yet.

I received my 7162 early last month.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I had a message that mine had departed Thailand on July 27 but after that no updates at all until August 10 (now in New York). 

Best to use USPS tracking after it leaves the country. https://www.usps.com/  Thailand post tracking will not show anything until it is delivered.

Mine is in limbo according to USPS. It has only shown in transit for a week now. Mailed on July 18th.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Best to use USPS tracking after it leaves the country. https://www.usps.com/  Thailand post tracking will not show anything until it is delivered.

Mine is in limbo according to USPS. It has only shown in transit for a week now. Mailed on July 18th.

I've been looking at three of them.

https://international.thailandpost.com/track-status-2/?

language=en&tracking=

https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

Same big time gap with no info in all. That was concerning until the New York message.

Edited by Jingthing

Tracking History

July 28, 2022
July 24, 2022, 3:10 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

I'm going to remail, 49 baht air mail, next week.

Assume it was delivered but who knows?

Thai Post EMS and several third-party trackers provide no details after July 23.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:07 PM, Kivetoruk said:

Note: Please do your own due diligence. I'm relaying my personal experience, whether it's normal policy I don't know. 

I just got off the phone with an office representative of :

Social Security Administration
Office of Earnings & International Operations

Telephone number: 410-965-0160.

I called at 10.00 am local time (Pennsylvania) 

No wait time, the call was answered immediately. 

I asked the representative if my mailed Form 7162 had been entered into my records yet?

Thanks, this worked for me. HOWEVER, it wasn't a good time for my friend. I am legally responsible for taking care of her and have been very concerned that after five years it is not possible for her to get mail from SS and her benefits were once suspended. I was told that I could call Manila and get her info and/or have another form 7162 be sent to her. Was not able to call Manila because they shut off their phones if too busy. so requested the info by email. Meanwhile... this may be worth your attention. I found that you can make an online SS account and check the status of things. I'd forgotten that we had done an account like that for her years ago but was reminded by an email from SS. So, we logged into her account and saw that the new address was there. I took this to also mean her 7162 form had been received and posted. No certain acknowledgement of that, but the date on the verification of benefits letter was today's date. I'm also expecting a reply to the email I sent Manila and a new 7162 form with barcode, etc, be sent if her 7162 hasn't been registered yet.   

@ubonjoe @bamnutsak @zlodnick

Your posts below showed a status that your 7162 sent via Registered Airmail to Wilkes Barre was still in transit....it had made it to New York....but it was still in transit from NYC to Wilkes Barre. 

Does "USPS tracking" show your 7162 finally making it to SSA in Wilkes Barre?  And if tracking shows it did make it, when did final delivery to Wilkes Barre occur...and what did the total mailing time from Thailand to Wilkes Barre work out to?   

This would be good crossfeed to show how long Registered Airmail takes in 2022.  Thanks.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

This is what the USPS tracking shows for mine. The first one was being updated regularly before.

image.png.4c30df5f54f3e9b5d4569a8768f861df.png

On 8/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, bamnutsak said:

Tracking History

July 28, 2022
July 24, 2022, 3:10 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

I'm going to remail, 49 baht air mail, next week.

Assume it was delivered but who knows?

Thai Post EMS and several third-party trackers provide no details after July 23.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, zlodnick said:

Jingthing,

Thai post tracking shows nothing after it left suvanabumi, but USPS  (Parcelsapp), shows it is now in Customs in NY. (Aug 10)

I'm not the least bit worried, although I expect to get a second mailing in Oct. It's happened before.