I find that the potatoes found in many of the markets around Pattaya/Rayong, imported from the North, are excellent, tasty and  lasting. They do roast, although not particularly well, but baked they are good. On the other hand, the spuds in Tesco and Big C are generally, uniformly smaller, often bruised and not very good quality.  Why this is I have no idea, but we stay clear of them. Same is true of carrots, which don't last at all. Despite Mrs P's repeated efforts, nothing useful seems to grow in our garden, so I gave up thinking about it, never mind trying. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

There's a reason they aren't grown domestically, because they are so plentiful in the shops and markets.

I also believe that if you not high up in the cooler mountain air they are more difficult to cultivate.

My neighbour gave me some huge big round ones the other day, the ones that Lays use for their crisps, and they OK for mash, but otherwise not good.

I have discovered a new way of eating potatoes, you boil them unpeeled, then leave to drain for 5 minutes, then give them a good squash with a masher, but try to keep them held together, leave to steam dry another 5 mins then drizzle a small amount of melted butter and olive oil over it, salt & pepper and whack it in the pre-heated 200º C oven for 40 mins, until crispy and golden brown on the top.

Just too hot for them I suppose.

Oh wee. Back to the drawing board. ????????

8 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

There's a reason they aren't grown domestically, because they are so plentiful in the shops and markets.

I also believe that if you not high up in the cooler mountain air they are more difficult to cultivate.

My neighbour gave me some huge big round ones the other day, the ones that Lays use for their crisps, and they OK for mash, but otherwise not good.

I have discovered a new way of eating potatoes, you boil them unpeeled, then leave to drain for 5 minutes, then give them a good squash with a masher, but try to keep them held together, leave to steam dry another 5 mins then drizzle a small amount of melted butter and olive oil over it, salt & pepper and whack it in the pre-heated 200º C oven for 40 mins, until crispy and golden brown on the top.

Thanks for the heads up. Had them for lunch today. Tasty and

Crispy. I’ve tried Wedges but they always turn out greasy. Cheers.

I grew Tatties in Scotland for 25 years

They need a cool spell before they wi[l sprout viable shoots, so, put them in the bottom of the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, (do not let them freeze), them leave them covered in a cool cupboard until they develop shoots of about 1cm long, break of all shoots except the thickest and plant. 

They originated in the Andes and do not like excessive heat so plant in October.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 10:53 AM, Pilotman said:

I find that the potatoes found in many of the markets around Pattaya/Rayong, imported from the North, are excellent, tasty and  lasting. They do roast, although not particularly well, but baked they are good. On the other hand, the spuds in Tesco and Big C are generally, uniformly smaller, often bruised and not very good quality.  Why this is I have no idea, but we stay clear of them. Same is true of carrots, which don't last at all. Despite Mrs P's repeated efforts, nothing useful seems to grow in our garden, so I gave up thinking about it, never mind trying. 

Most of the spuds we see in Makro/Tesco/BigC all come from China and look disgusting

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, sometime said:

Most of the spuds we see in Makro/Tesco/BigC all come from China and look disgusting

They seem to grow them locally in Chiang Mai, as I keep getting given bags of them by a little old lady with too many to use. Don't know what type they are, but OK in stews and baked.

IMG_20200617_181642.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sometime said:

The ones I get in Makro at Khampaeng Phet are quite reasonable but you need to be picky when choosing them as some of them are wet from being frozen or chilled and are thawing out. As mentioned earlier, they are OK mashed, microwaved in their jackets and sometimes sliced as they are, par boiled and used as home fries or chips, They don't like being roasted no matter what size I cut them in,

However, boiled and sauteed with bacon, onion and garlic they taste great,