14 of the best films and documentaries to educate yourself on racism and Black oppression

snoop1130

14 of the best films and documentaries to educate yourself on racism and Black oppression

BY ISABELLA SILVERS

if-beale-street-could-talk-farming-marsha-p-johnson-selma-the-hate-you-give-1591183285.jpg

20TH CENTURY STUDIOS/EONE/LIONSGATE/NETFLIX/ILLUSTRATION: SHYVONNE THOMAS/DIGITAL SPY

Since the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and many more Black people by white American police officers, the world has seen an outpouring of anger at systemic racism both in the US and in our home countries.

While Black people struggle with their grief and hurt, non-Black people have been showing support on social media and wondering what we can do to make a difference.

To Digital Spy's Black readers: obviously we're not trying to educate you about your own oppression. This is a starting point, a general guide for anyone who wants to learn more about the history of Black oppression, either to understand the historical context better or to be a better ally.

Full Story: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a32751963/best-films-documentaries-educate-racism/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The suggested list has many I haven't seen.

The list from the site is:

13th - Documentary

The Death of Martha P Johnson - Documentary

Selma

Just Mercy

Injustice

Explain: The Racial Wealth Gap - Documentary

Black and Scottish

Shame in the Game

The Hate U Give

When They See US - Story of Five Black teens accused of rape

I AM Not Your Negro - Documentary

12 Years a Slave

If Beale Street Could Talk

Farming - story from England

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If you need 'educating' on the evil of racism and discrimination then you must be as dim as a toad in blinkers. 

Well trump supporters certainly need it. 

The youth need it but the older generation are not worth the effort as their racism is too ingrained even though they dont admit it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

The suggested list has many I haven't seen.

The list from the site is:

13th - Documentary

The Death of Martha P Johnson - Documentary

Selma

Just Mercy

Injustice

Explain: The Racial Wealth Gap - Documentary

Black and Scottish

Shame in the Game

The Hate U Give

When They See US - Story of Five Black teens accused of rape

I AM Not Your Negro - Documentary

12 Years a Slave

If Beale Street Could Talk

Farming - story from England

Green Book should be in there. Great movie.

4 minutes ago, garygooner said:

Remember watching the very old TV series 'Kunta Kinte'....... Powerful. 

Is that the same one that is called Roots? I watched that when very young. Very moving

7 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Is that the same one that is called Roots? I watched that when very young. Very moving

Utter nonsense with not an ounce of truth, Halley was sued by two other writers he stole most of it from. In the Gambia in 93 I asked about it, they just laughed and said Halley was a liar, which he was.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, izod10 said:

Good one,but I would like  documentary made on the likes of South Africa/Zimbabwe.  The rise and subsequent fall of two of the most powerful countries in Africa,the reasoning,and faults that made this so

If you think those were the two "most powerful countries" in Africa, then it's back to school for you. History especially.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

The youth need it but the older generation are not worth the effort as their racism is too ingrained even though they dont admit it.

Where is the name Trump in this topic !Where does it talk about Trump supporters!  You might want to give your Hate speech a rest until that topic comes up !There are multi threads on here that support your opinions.go join them!

The Green mile,Ray Charles and Roots were my favs

!

Edited by Yankeesvsredsox
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

I call foul on that. ALL of the "older generation" is racist. Come on now. That's absurd.

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Racism is an industry these days .

Numerous people and groups are involved in the industry and without racism, they wouldnt exist .

Thts why they need to keep racism in the spotlight , to keep their industry going 

It's real, dude, and also pervasive. We see scads of explicitly racist posts on this forum everyday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's real, dude, and also pervasive. We see scads of explicitly racist posts on this forum everyday. 

I not see them , we are just trying to have intelligent discussions which involve racial issues .

Just calling people "racists" because they disagree with you , doesn't solve any issues 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I not see them , we are just trying to have intelligent discussions which involve racial issues .

Just calling people "racists" because they disagree with you , doesn't solve any issues 

More toxic disingenuous game playing. I didn't mention calling people racists. I mentioned racist posts.

In any case, I don't think this sort of back and forth equates with "intelligent" conversion in any way.

So -- goodbye. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

a dumb question.  The answer is no, because I have a brain and some deductive intelligence.  I don't need to watch movies to know the the evil that is racial discrimination, or other discrimination of all kinds.  Maybe you need to be shown it to believe it exists?  I don't. 

That's the wrong answer. Everyone is a racist. See, you do need an education.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, izod10 said:

Good one,but I would like  documentary made on the likes of South Africa/Zimbabwe.  The rise and subsequent fall of two of the most powerful countries in Africa,the reasoning,and faults that made this so

Having friends from Rhodesia, I've seen live footage as recently as April of this year of a white farmers property being burned, luckily he escaped to Namibia befor they could kill him...shocking, been going on for years, yet not one world leader or human rights group will denounce this blatant racism against whites...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

In 2020, 42 whites and 31 blacks were killed by Police in the USA

Race categorization is not easy with people of multiple "races", but to keep it easy, about 5X as many whites as blacks. So if population sizes were the same, 42 whites killed by police and 155 blacks killed by police. Hmmm

The argument about high paid athletes means no oppression is absurd, unless there were as many pro athletes as bus drivers or factory workers or some significant portion of workforce.