Suitable Computer ideas

Hi My HP 5 year old laptop is coming to the end of its useful life. I am looking for another laptop that can be bought here. Rather then plough through all the specs I know some of you use computers professionally and will have an idea of what can be bought here

Requirements:- Light as possible but needs to have a long life battery. Ideally over 15 inch screen. Web cam. usb. Bluetooth etc.

Needs to be able to run upto 4 programs at once whilst streaming at least 1 news program. No gaming required but needs to have good quality graphic card and sound. SSD probably ?

I use the computer for watching movies, Photo editing etc, the usual e mails but needs to be fairly rugged because it will travel a lot. Thanks in anticipation

You really need to think in terms of CPU's when buying any computer these days.  INTEL used to pretty much own the market but AMD rose from the ashes a few years ago and is now kicking INTEL's butt.  Most mid-level laptops on the market here still have Intel i3's, 5's & 7's but AMD's RYZEN line of CPU's are starting to appear and they are pretty good.  When considering Intel's CPU's, the generation of the CPU is very important as a newer generation i-5 will usually outperform an older generation i-7.

From what you describe, photo editing is probably the most demanding task and within photo-editing, there are many levels of technical requirements.  Just basic editing, you can use any midlevel Intel or AMD CPU with 8gb RAM but if you are using advanced features of  "Photoshop" or "Lightroom", you'll need more CPU power and 16gb+ ram.  Most mid-level laptops now have at least one SSD that holds your operating system and speeds things up.  Nice to have a second SSD or at least an easy to access expansion slot for a second SSD.

Check this: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-buying-guide,5643.html

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

I use a Dell XPS ultrabook but it is rather expensive £1,300.

Have a look at Chromebook they're pretty handy.

Both have excellent battery life. Heat is the enemy of computers and batteries especially. Keep it cool and don't leave it plugged in all the time. 

55 minutes ago, tiocfaidh said:

I use a Dell XPS ultrabook but it is rather expensive £1,300.

Have a look at Chromebook they're pretty handy.

Both have excellent battery life. Heat is the enemy of computers and batteries especially. Keep it cool and don't leave it plugged in all the time. 

Thanks price is not to big an issue for the right product I shall have a look.

19 hours ago, Raphus said:

MSI computers.

https://th.msi.com/

I swear by them. I have had 2 now. They are very powerful and mainly for gaming. But you use spreadsheets that are large and complex. This is the PC you need.

Went to this site, clicked on FIND A COMPUTER, it came up with three suggestions, clicked on one..............404 !

Intel i5 10th generation CPU are supposedly more power efficient, lower temps, less battery drain. Maybe look for something that uses switchable graphics, dedicated card and integrated card, which can further save battery when using less demanding programs.

InvadeIT is definitely a good place to shop. Super clean website and easy to filter products:

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/15-inch-monitor/17-inch-monitor/8-gb-ram/ssd/intel-core-i5/intel-core-i7/16gb-ram/12gb/sort/price/asc/