Think twice before riding a motorcycle in Thailand - Thai biker in wheelchair warns others

webfact

I used to drive a car in the UK, but never got into the motorcycle thing here for one reason or another, mostly cos taxis are so cheap and there's always some willing young lass to ferry you around. I must say, in retrospect, it was the saving of me. I'm pretty sure I'd be dead, crippled, in prison, or financially ruined if I was riding motorcycles in my more crazy days. Of course, nowadays, I'm a a pillar of risk averse respectability, mostly.

• Like 1

From my experience of riding around Pattaya daily the majority of riders are pretty good, a small minority do ride too fast, taxi bikes, delivery bikes, young Thais, farang but most ok incl cars, but you need to be fully on when riding a bike, any slip in concentration at the wrong time can cause an accident. I also have blind spot mirrors which are very good.

I'd ignore the guys saying don't ride a bike, who don't ride a bike, why would you listen to someone who has no current experience on the road

Yeah on a bike you need to assume everyone is out to get you. I had a cousin a long time  ago, he got bigger and bigger bikes, eventually he got a family and sold the lot, as he was worried he could have an accident. That's the difference between being single or having people you care about. I've seen multiple young guys pulling weeleys or just driving crazily  down the motorway here in Thailand. The difference is here none of to them were wearing helmets or leathers. I think you need to know more about the culture to understand why they are born not to fear death so much. The bikes are as much to blame as the cars weaving in and out of traffic (which i believe is against the law). The  cars go much to fast and apparently the concept of giving way also isn't done either as anyone trying to cross a road on foot can tell you. 

To give some context we have all seen on UK motorways bike drivers doing over 150mph over taking people on motorways as well and accidents for bikes are high, as UK car drivers generally are looking out for larger objects than bikes. However in the UK anyone on a bike on a road will wear a helmet and if its a fast  bike some  sort of body protection. Generally the real consequences of accidents decapitations etc aren't mentioned so much, but this guy despite his problems I guess is lucky.

The important phrase in that article is "racing on his motorcyle" if its translated correctly. Only professionals race motorbikes the rest of us just ride them. 

Think twice before:

driving

dating

marrying

running

swimming

walking in the woods

riding a bike

skateboarding...

every single activity humans do, they die.  probably even reading for too long......

common sense;  safety, experience, safety, experience, and sometimes you need a little luck

I'm risk averse, in my old age; that doesn't mean I don't take risks, just that they're calculated. One of the first things on my list of unnecessary risks is riding motorbikes in Thailand. Yeah, I do it for convenience sometimes. But I'm always aware just how vulnerable I am. Much prefer riding in the big old pick-up. Offers some protection, but if we meet one of those heavily laden lorries going down the wrong side of the road, I'm f@#ked.

• Like 1

I have followed this thread with interest, laughing my self silly at the amount of members posting, not me,  i am alert/ aware when out on the road. 

No matter how aware/ careful you are makes no difference.

I was aware when i was riding my bike made not 1 iota of difference, when met by a driver going the wrong way, leaving no where open for me to go.

Remember folks no matter what you do, it is what others do that can bring problems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 12:32 AM, samtab said:

No problem !

Foreigners, especially old men, are so gooooooooooood at driving that it will never happen to them !

I guess that is what has been posted on 5 pages that I didn't read ?

Ridiculous.

Apart from being too poor to own a car, I think only idiots drive a motorbike by choice in this country.

so true !

????

On 6/13/2020 at 5:58 AM, colinneil said:

I have followed this thread with interest, laughing my self silly at the amount of members posting, not me,  i am alert/ aware when out on the road. 

No matter how aware/ careful you are makes no difference.

I was aware when i was riding my bike made not 1 iota of difference, when met by a driver going the wrong way, leaving no where open for me to go.

Remember folks no matter what you do, it is what others do that can bring problems.

Yes ! thank you for saying it ! it's incredible how people can be idiot with their motorbikes.

I hope that you are not too bad now.

• Like 1