Mazda BT50 long term ownership ?

pop3

I have been looking for information about the Mazda BT50 on this forum but all I can find is a now closed thread from 2014, There were some problems with the trucks back then and there brother truck the Ford Ranger but they were relatively new back then with little kms on them , What I am wondering is how the trucks are holding up now in 2020 ! Has anybody got an old BT50 with 100,000 + kms on it ? Did any of them make it to 100,000 kms ? There seems to be plenty of old ones on the road.

We had ours [BT 50 Hi Racer] for near on 4 years from early 2011. always change the pickup around 300,000 km, in that time had ZERO problems

from then to date have the XLT Ranger Hi Rider, was due to be changed in Feb, but with the Virus held back.. guess will change this year...  again have had ZERO problems..

out of interest maybe ?? the 2001  D-Max? [Dragon Eyes Space Cab] was a great pickup. sold it @ 540.000 km.  the next two D-Max's  both had problems = why we changed to the Mazda or [Ford in a different dress] ...........  now starting next week the all New Mazda BT50 is a D-Max in a different dress !!

Thanks for the comments , They seem to be holding up ok , Theres so much talk around at the oil pump having problems but we always hear about cars problems but seldom hear from satisfied customers ,

Ignis am I right in thinking your BT50 made 300.000kms ?

2 hours ago, pop3 said:

Thanks for the comments , They seem to be holding up ok , Theres so much talk around at the oil pump having problems but we always hear about cars problems but seldom hear from satisfied customers ,

Ignis am I right in thinking your BT50 made 300.000kms ?

Yes believe was 304,000 km, when we changed it........  the workload for the Pickup has changed in past couple of years.. now = 14 daily trips to China Town BKK [110km round trip a day], the other 14 days  going down around to the deep south every month.   There is no time for the truck to break down or being in a garage = change every 300,000 km, the  Ford is less than 300,000 Km and 4 years and 3 months old [ last 70 or so days has been 110km round trip a day to China Town] now all area are open again will be going South from next month.

Its not clear if you are proposing to buy a new or used BT50.

A new BT50 is due to launch soon and is basically a Isuzu D-Max with mostly superficial changes. It has no relationship at all to any previous BT50.

BT50's to date were built at a joint Ford/Mazda plant and use Ford 'Duratorq' TCDI Diesel engines and underpinnings - shared with the Ranger.

The Duratorq engines have been in Ford products since around 2003-4. They are a mixed picture reliability wise. The earlier engines had a lot of problems with the fuel system, but those problems have largely been ironed out now.  At the end of the day it is still a Ford product and does not achieve the reliability or durability of Toyota.

I had a BT50 3.2 4wd from 2013-2016. It was fast, comfortable % relatively good on fuel. Nothing went wrong, very solid & spacious. Its a well thought design with nice touches like the back seat flups up for more storage & cubby holes below the back seat. I changed when I bought a new 4wd Ford Everest. In short I would thoroughly recommend the BT50 from 2012 onwards.

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

Its not clear if you are proposing to buy a new or used BT50.

A new BT50 is due to launch soon and is basically a Isuzu D-Max with mostly superficial changes. It has no relationship at all to any previous BT50.

BT50's to date were built at a joint Ford/Mazda plant and use Ford 'Duratorq' TCDI Diesel engines and underpinnings - shared with the Ranger.

The Duratorq engines have been in Ford products since around 2003-4. They are a mixed picture reliability wise. The earlier engines had a lot of problems with the fuel system, but those problems have largely been ironed out now.  At the end of the day it is still a Ford product and does not achieve the reliability or durability of Toyota.

Its a complicated story but in a nutshell I have acquired a 2013 2.2 2x4 manual from a friend who no longer lives in the country and will not be returning , I don't really know what the future holds for it as I already have a Toyota Mighty x that I will take to the grave but for the time being I'm gathering information on the engine due to its complexity compared to the old school Mighty x.

Common problems on Ford 2.2TDCI.

Serpentine belt tensioner

Front pulley (failure of rubber element)

HP pump failure

Injector failure

Turbo actuator failure

Weak gearbox bearings on MT

Not sure if yours would have a DPF or not. Being Thai market probably not.