Indoor plants for darkish room?

Our kitchen is one of those kitchens that was previously an outdoor kitchen at the back of the house. 

It's since been built in, so it's a normal room and not outside.

It doesn't have any direct sunlight, but with the house's natural light coming through the living room and big windows in the wall that divides the kitchen and living room, it isn't dark.

I want to put some plants on top of the fridge and some shelves.

Are there any indoor plants that would survive or thrive in such an environment?

TIA. 

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

You can just say that you don't know. ???? 

I was being serious. We have many of these around the house and they look great. And only YOU know the truth!

Edited by stouricks

1 hour ago, northsouthdevide said:

Ferns and orchids are good, but please be careful if putting plants above a fridge, as watering can become a fire hazard. 

Great, thanks.

I'll look into those. 

Around how often would ferns and orchids need to be watered? And around how many CC's of water?

TIA. 

Edited by JeffersLos

Pothos - Epipremnum aureum.  Very common, quite tough. We have some growing in water. There are different patterns/colors.  Outdoors, the leaves can get quite large.  It is toxic to cats and dogs if they eat it.

image.png.562b404ff6d96b8c65fac32d8d77f3f3.png Pothos Poster - Epipremnum and Scindapsus varieties – Aaron Apsley ...  image.png.b09721c95971e460ddc89bd00d4c88ed.png

Various forms of "snake plant".  Dracaena trifasciata - A.K.A. Sansevieria trifasciata  and other species. Do not overwater.

Amazon.com: 6 Different Snake Plants in 4" Pots - Sansevieria ...  Costa Farms 33'' Live Snake Plant in Basket & Reviews | Wayfair

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Pothos - Epipremnum aureum.  Very common, quite tough. We have some growing in water. There are different patterns/colors.  Outdoors, the leaves can get quite large.  It is toxic to cats and dogs if they eat it.

image.png.562b404ff6d96b8c65fac32d8d77f3f3.png Pothos Poster - Epipremnum and Scindapsus varieties – Aaron Apsley ...  image.png.b09721c95971e460ddc89bd00d4c88ed.png

Various forms of "snake plant".  Dracaena trifasciata - A.K.A. Sansevieria trifasciata  and other species. Do not overwater.

Amazon.com: 6 Different Snake Plants in 4" Pots - Sansevieria ...  Costa Farms 33'' Live Snake Plant in Basket & Reviews | Wayfair

Those are perfect and very easy to care for.

Disagree with poster recommending cacti...they need a lot of direct fun...well most do.

I will add the good old spider plant to the list of plants to choose. Also ferns (but op will have to mist spray them occasionally if air is dry from air con.

Philodendron is similar to pothos, though perhaps not so vigorous.   Easy to raise, hard to kill. 

I'm sure some of these are all around you.  Just ask a neighbor to dig you a piece, or take a small cutting and root it. 

I once rented a house that had that snake plant as a sort of hedge.  It would survive the long dry season up in Loei without water, though it wasn't in full day sun.  Tough stuff. The leaf pores shut down during the day to conserve water and open at night to breathe.  Wash and wax it once in awhile to keep it shiny. ????