Covid-19: Three quarters of Thais want to keep foreigners out, many cite fear of virus, says poll

webfact

43 minutes ago, englishoak said:

It should be clear to most by now that the only solution is going to be living with this virus no matter the consequence long-term, that populations globally have been totally stitched up and many ruined beyond repair whilst the big players have mostly been bailed out and supported.. literally trillions created out of nothing for the same ones who benefited in 08 or debt on a scale previously unimagined for the rest...  

The great reset and theft from mostly the middle class and smaller businesses is happening right now all over the world, by the time this is over a massive % of people who have worked hard all their lives to build something will have lost everything for a media induced panic less dangerous or risky than crossing the road. When the dust settles history will record this as the biggest global panic, economic and social disaster ever.. it already is in fact..sadly we are only part of the way through this,  governments will probably fall before this is done and social unrest will likely become commonplace... Take away peoples ability to earn temporarily they get angry like a recession but take away small business ability to employ others enmasse and future to do so accross many industries simultaneously and you take away the corner stone of society and tax revenues,  systems will fast begin to collapse then people get really angry and those with the skills start to organise and pushback. Revolutions happen most successfully when the middle class have had enough. Although Im sure this is all intended by TPTB, the next decade is going to be pretty unstable at the least no matter what continent your on, none of it looks good, not economically, not socially, not opportunity and certainly not geo politically... 

Shame on people for believing and trusting in their governments, they are there for one thing, power and to control the masses, nothing more. The next stage of this plandemic will probably be a second wave also killing no more than seasonal flu but at the end a rushed claimed inoculation by big pharma that is likely to be unsafe and side effects for millions,  likely to be seasonal at best and probably linked to international travel permissions. The digital DNA/chip passport is already in the works for many nations and they have been working towards it for years.. 

50 years ago hardly anyone went abroad and its looking like it will soon be returning to those times but though means of force... People are unable to deal with the loonys screaming on twatter and social media etc, people are subjected to so much BS online every day its making them incapable of clear thinking and LOS was never good at that to begin with. Thailand was fun while it lasted and we do not expect to be able to return other than maybe for the occasional visit..  im glad I got my family out of Thailand before global social media hysteria and madness took over. 

Lovely place LOS but its time is done as are many other nations we thought would stay constant and stable. I hope I am wrong. Sadly I dont think I am...

too much information ...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, franzs said:

Have a look at the European vacation places in Spain, Italy, Croatia and Greece. No tourist anywhere. 

Millions worldwide are out of work especially in the tourist business and it will continue to be like this.

it will need several years to get back to a new normal.

... in case there is no vaccine soon, it will maybe will never go back to normal

>in case there is no vaccine soon, it will maybe will never go back to normal<

Your going to take the very dangerous vaccine ? .I would rather live with this slightly bad FLU ,thank you .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Originally was looking at coming to Thailand in November for a few months.  Now I don't plan on going anywhere by plane.  I'll stay put in my own country.  Maybe next year.

Bless you .

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Originally was looking at coming to Thailand in November for a few months.  Now I don't plan on going anywhere by plane.  I'll stay put in my own country.  Maybe next year.

hallelujah .. relax. 

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

It should be clear to most by now that the only solution is going to be living with this virus no matter the consequence long-term, that populations globally have been totally stitched up and many ruined beyond repair whilst the big players have mostly been bailed out and supported.. literally trillions created out of nothing for the same ones who benefited in 08 or debt on a scale previously unimagined for the rest...  

The great reset and theft from mostly the middle class and smaller businesses is happening right now all over the world, by the time this is over a massive % of people who have worked hard all their lives to build something will have lost everything for a media induced panic less dangerous or risky than crossing the road. When the dust settles history will record this as the biggest global panic, economic and social disaster ever.. it already is in fact..sadly we are only part of the way through this,  governments will probably fall before this is done and social unrest will likely become commonplace... Take away peoples ability to earn temporarily they get angry like a recession but take away small business ability to employ others enmasse and future to do so accross many industries simultaneously and you take away the corner stone of society and tax revenues,  systems will fast begin to collapse then people get really angry and those with the skills start to organise and pushback. Revolutions happen most successfully when the middle class have had enough. Although Im sure this is all intended by TPTB, the next decade is going to be pretty unstable at the least no matter what continent your on, none of it looks good, not economically, not socially, not opportunity and certainly not geo politically... 

Shame on people for believing and trusting in their governments, they are there for one thing, power and to control the masses, nothing more. The next stage of this plandemic will probably be a second wave also killing no more than seasonal flu but at the end a rushed claimed inoculation by big pharma that is likely to be unsafe and side effects for millions,  likely to be seasonal at best and probably linked to international travel permissions. The digital DNA/chip passport is already in the works for many nations and they have been working towards it for years.. 

50 years ago hardly anyone went abroad and its looking like it will soon be returning to those times but though means of force... People are unable to deal with the loonys screaming on twatter and social media etc, people are subjected to so much BS online every day its making them incapable of clear thinking and LOS was never good at that to begin with. Thailand was fun while it lasted and we do not expect to be able to return other than maybe for the occasional visit..  im glad I got my family out of Thailand before global social media hysteria and madness took over. 

Lovely place LOS but its time is done as are many other nations we thought would stay constant and stable. I hope I am wrong. Sadly I dont think I am...

Great post about this PLAN-demic  .Its working like a charm for the elite one %

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I find the UK people much friendlier towards foreigners then Thailand.. No comparison.. UK is a modern, liberal society accepting of different nations without much fuss,,, Thailand absolutely no where near, 50 or 60 years behind...

Not from my experience growing up in the uk, thats for sure ... On my estate, strangers from anywhere were definitely not welcome. In nearly 20 years, never had a problem in Thailand and walking down the wrong street on the way home from somewhere, is something I don't have to think about anymore.

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, englishoak said:

Personally I don't think the virus and the knock on effects will be the end of the world or the end of Thailand

I understand your concern but I think just hanging a tad on the negative side

So countries that were in debt are now in a bit deeper, having protected their people, and will no doubt reduce government spending and raise taxes to pay for their generosity

Another month and we may well experience dramatic improvement, I see friends in the UK already booking holidays to Spain life will go on

Edited by 473geo

21 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

How is sustainable to just stop tourism? 

Recent reports suggests that ofifically tourism contributes 25% to the Thai economy, and via long reaching connections to tourism (food, drink, clothing, plastics, metals, agricultural product) could be as high as 30%. 

How does any country wipe away 30% of it's GDP? 

Even if Thailand opened it's door for the world today - very few would travel, due to economics of many peoples finances and then the confidence to travel. 

I honestly believe they are sitting there, thinking as soon as they open the borders to China (because lets face it that's the sole country they care about here) that the Chinese will come flocking back. 

Unbelievable. 

Once the recession kicks in people will soon be angry. 

Even if they come back, they like to buy a package in CN thus the cash mostly stays there..... and we all know they dont like spending it TH .. a little in 7/11 lol

never seen them in a bar ....

Good posts and all true. Now beware not of any virus but the Tax man cometh, it's already started they're harassing the business owners and wealthy families to " contribute " to the financial recovery but not offering any incentives. Just bureaucrats whose job it is to "find and pursue" all potential sources of tax revenue. Business owners see this as pandering and will most likely just elect not to reopen...

38 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Even if they come back, they like to buy a package in CN thus the cash mostly stays there..... and we all know they dont like spending it TH .. a little in 7/11 lol

never seen them in a bar ....

Popular myth.

Bars OK, look in the karaokes.

5 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

They might try to do something about the farangs, but they'll have a hard time going up against the Thais' own well-ingrained alcohol culture. 

https://www.samuitimes.com/comes-world-liquor-consumption-thailand-rank-4th/

4th 6 years ago, they might now be a hub already. Can't stand the usurpers sober. Thailaan hobby #1, getting plastered.

• Like 1

..."but it still brings back bad memories..."

Sorry that I triggered you to have bad memories of your grandparents' bad memories. My apologies. 

My point still stands; we need to have some universal identifying mark/paper/ID card that will allow us to move freely as do local Thais. Otherwise, as soon as the gates open, we will all be lumped together. Usually, this isn't really much of an issue, but now it is very much one. 

I do not wish to be further discriminated against here if possible, but I see dark clouds forming ....

3 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

..."but it still brings back bad memories..."

Sorry that I triggered you to have bad memories of your grandparents' bad memories. My apologies. 

My point still stands; we need to have some universal identifying mark/paper/ID card that will allow us to move freely as do local Thais. Otherwise, as soon as the gates open, we will all be lumped together. Usually, this isn't really much of an issue, but now it is very much one. 

I do not wish to be further discriminated against here if possible, but I see dark clouds forming ....

Me Me Me

Do you not think Thailand has enough on it's plate without having to play nanny to a handful of long term overseas residents

Please don't follow up with the usual pretentious diatribe that views the financial input of these people as somehow the potential life saver for the Thai economy - it isn't

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2020 at 9:12 AM, Laza 45 said:

I don't think xenophobia is the problem.. my Thai family certainly are not anti foreigners but they are very afraid of a return of the virus.. all the publicity has been very effective in scaring them.  My wife saw the article about the new outbreak in China being linked to salmon imports (highly unlikely in my view).. she was wondering if I should stop buying salmon.. she is also wary about returning to work July 1st when the schools open.. Healthy caution I think.. and a little overreaction maybe.. xenophobia.. no... 

You mean she's uneducated right?

14 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I'm going to guess you never studied statistics.

A good pollster will select a representative group and even a figure like 1,116 probably has something like a 97% Confidence Level.

Folks have done the math over the last few hundred years and they know what a "statistically significant sample" is. From a stat point of view 1,116 is actually pretty high. It's likely---I'd have to do the math for an exact number---but one could probably hit a 95% Confidence Level with about 500 people. It sounds odd if you haven't studied the science, but it's pretty sound.

Maybe.  But let's not forget garbage in, garbage out.  The 'last few hundred years' would include the 1948 Dewey-Truman election.  The Chicago Daily Tribune did a poll before the election that predicted a big win for Dewey.  They were so confident they printed their newspaper in advance of the election with that famous headline 'Dewey Defeats Truman'.  But, they were wrong because when they did the poll they contacted people only by phone to ask who they would vote for.  In those days more rich people had phones than poor people, more rich were for the Republican Dewey, and, hence, the incorrect poll.  Garbage in, garbage out. 

Apparently this Thai survey were talking about was an on-line survey.  I wonder if low-income Thais, many possibly without access to respond to such an on-line survey, have been properly represented.  Maybe today's version of contacting everybody by phone and expecting an accurate outcome.  

• Confused 1

Just now, newnative said:

Maybe.  But let's not forget garbage in, garbage out.  The 'last few hundred years' would include the 1948 Dewey-Truman election.  The Chicago Daily Tribune did a poll before the election that predicted a big win for Dewey.  They were so confident they printed their newspaper in advance of the election with that famous headline 'Dewey Defeats Truman'.  But, they were wrong because when they did the poll they contacted people only by phone to ask who they would vote for.  In those days more rich people had phones than poor people, more rich were for the Republican Dewey, and, hence, the incorrect poll.  Garbage in, garbage out. 

Apparently this Thai survey were talking about was an on-line survey.  I wonder if low-income Thais, many possibly without access to respond to such an on-line survey, have been properly represented.  Maybe today's version of contacting everybody by phone and expecting an accurate outcome.  

And the possibility of a fake poll

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 473geo said:

Personally I don't think the virus and the knock on effects will be the end of the world or the end of Thailand

I understand your concern but I think just hanging a tad on the negative side

So countries that were in debt are now in a bit deeper, having protected their people, and will no doubt reduce government spending and raise taxes to pay for their generosity

Another month and we may well experience dramatic improvement, I see friends in the UK already booking holidays to Spain life will go on

It gets tiring to listen to people think that the worst is going to happen.

Remember what health care experts were saying:  One of two things.  One:  A vaccine.  Two:  A viable treatment.

Note the news source here and read what it is and what it means.  This could be it.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

Please don't be so negative - things are moving at an incredible pace, and health care experts are very optimistic several vaccines that are being mass produced right now will work.  Above is the game changer that can change things dramatically.

And some can whine about China again sooner than later.  ????

• Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 8:37 AM, ezzra said:

Tourism in it's many facets are the main revenue earners for millions this country who are part of the hospitality and tourism industries, the government is almost out of money to funds this on going pandemic and yet Thai people are crying for free handout, something got to give here you can expect the government to give freebies for much longer without tourists coming in and very soon...

What freebies are the really giving right now?