Cambodia draws ire for steep Covid-19 charges on foreign arrivals

geovalin

Fears have been raised among tourism players that a stringent set of Covid-19 testing fees for foreigners arriving in Cambodia will deter incoming visitors and hamper the country’s road to recovery.

On Thursday, the government announced all international arrivals must leave a US$3,000 upfront deposit in either cash or through a credit card to cover the costs of any coronavirus testing. Of that sum, US$165 will go towards paying for a Covid-19 test at a facility close to the airport, as well as one night’s accommodation and food while waiting for results.

If anyone on the plane arriving into the country tests positive, all passengers will be forced into a 14-day quarantine at a cost of up to US$1,276. If an individual tests positive, up to US$3,550 will be charged for 14 days treatment and quarantine.

read more https://www.ttgasia.com/2020/06/15/cambodia-draws-ire-for-steep-covid-19-charges-on-foreign-arrivals/

• Haha 1

Yeah. I was kind of thinking about making a trip there right after the borders opened, assuming there wasn't going to be any crazy restrictions or quarantines. Was hoping to get in to see some sights before they were swamped with tourists (again).

I can't see hardly anyone wanting to go with the conditions mentioned in the OP though. Not even the Chinese that the gov't is so cozy with. (Unless of course certain countries get an "exemption" to the rules.)

• Like 1

Only in Cambodia. Yet from what I can understand, these same people are crowing about thousands of Chinese returning to Sihanoukville.. presumably without any of these demands being met ? I stand to be corrected... but really, you could not make this up if you tried... Cambodia well earns the complete loss of Western tourism.. and Cambodia is also betting everything on China - whose future is far from clear...

• Like 1

Talk about killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. Plan B aborted for now. What's the Phillipines looking like, and there I get my pension uprated every year, not a concern at the moment but next year it will be. Yeah, I agree, everyone seems to be betting on China, continuing the egg metaphor, all your eggs in one basket is not a good thing. A simple rule that Thailand exploited for many years, it's the main reason they weren't colonised. Maybe they're losing the plot. Who knows, all these China-centric guys in power is a bit worrying. I'm relying on the common sense of your ordinary Thai, if that's not an oxymoron. 

27 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

so cambodia is dead for the non-o & tourist runners

It already was given that Cambodia no longer issues tourist visas or visas on arrival and Thailand does not allow foreigners to enter.

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Bye bye Cambodia ???? Have they completely lost the plot ?

In my opinion "NO". These requirements are there to stop the possible transference of the virus into the country. Once the "all clear" is given, e-visas and visas on arrival will be issued again and such requirements will be rescinded to cater for the millions of tourists. Living here at the moment is very enjoyable and relatively peaceful - with due respect to all the Khmer people who have sadly lost their jobs. 

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

so cambodia is dead for the non-o & tourist runners

Yes at the moment (as with Laos and Burma) because all borders are CLOSED other than for trading purposes (cargo lorries importing and exporting products). When the pandemic scare is over then non-O and tourist runners will be able to travel but please note, in my opinion and from experience, the border crossing between Aranyaphratet and Poi-Pet could initially be a nightmare with many people. 

I've only lived in Thailand for 4 months but. . .I haven't felt the warm n fuzzies here that everyone back home raves or raved about. But I could just be paranoid. Are us Farangs that bad or has it been the government propaganda shaping the attitudes? Just tryin to figure it out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mr336 said:

I've only lived in Thailand for 4 months but. . .I haven't felt the warm n fuzzies here that everyone back home raves or raved about. But I could just be paranoid. Are us Farangs that bad or has it been the government propaganda shaping the attitudes? Just tryin to figure it out!

Well it sounds like you arrived at the worst possible time !!! ????

Edited by rvaviator