Guide me please, need mobile Internet for home users

arfandy

On 6/16/2020 at 1:00 PM, arfandy said:

Thanks for the advice. Yes i am aware of smartphone tethering but also notice by doing so, it will shorten the battery expectancy of my smartphone which is irreplacable battery. This is my 5th smartphone after previous 4 went off the grid with battery problem. I couldnt find battery replacement and well, i couldnt exactly crack open those smartphones just to replace the batteries.

I think someone has showed that little tethering modem. I might have to look it up online.

How much DTAC Unlimited package that you mention? 

Example: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huawei-e5573-4g-mobile-wifi-sim-router-lte-wifi-router-pocket-wifi-aisdtactrue-unlocked-huawei-pocket-wifi-e5573-i383286396-s1175992958.html

Specify that you want that particular model, so they don't try to substitute it for another.

The current promo, for all networks, is 30 GB of 10 Mbps data for 200 baht per month.

Too limiting for your usage.

With a 100 GB limit, My By CAT is an option. They offer 100 GB per month @ 10 Mbps for 90 days for 1070 baht inclusive https://www.mybycat.com/en/PrePay.php?package=155_แพ็กเกจเสริม-my-เน็ตเพลินเต็ม100 So around 357 baht per month.

Alternatively, you could grab a couple of totally unlimited 4 Mbps lines for 150 baht per month each: https://www.mybycat.com/en/PrePay.php?package=147_แพ็กเกจเสริม-my4G-เน็ตสุขใจ

Both AIS & DTAC have long running promos of 10 Mbps Unlimited for 90 days @ 1926 baht. But they might be limited to holders of SIMs registered before Feb/March of last year. They might have removed this restriction. You'll need to check directly with the call/service centre.

Lastly, you have the option of paying for a year of unlimited 10 Mbps data in advance: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/truemove-h-10mbps-1-i548946713.html

There is also a full speed SIM on offer( which would equal the best speed that Truemove H can offer at your location), but the volume is limited to 60 GB per month. This costs 1250 baht for 12 months of usage: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/300mbps-max-speed-60gb-1-i549014294-s995892561.html

The caveat is that Truemove H might not offer as much as 10 Mbps at your location. So best to run a speed test before committing.

• Thanks 1

image.png.169f4081e3d46040714e78b954bd658e.png

This is the DTAC prepaid package I used to have before moving to postpaid. Price has gone up some, but I think it is still the best prepaid deal out there for big data users like me.

9 minutes ago, wimpy said:

image.png.169f4081e3d46040714e78b954bd658e.png

This is the DTAC prepaid package I used to have before moving to postpaid. Price has gone up some, but I think it is still the best prepaid deal out there for big data users like me.

Terrible value. As I wrote before, they offered the same package for 200 baht per month, up until last month.

Now, some will still be able to subscribe to the same package as above @ 1926 baht per 90 days.

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Terrible value. As I wrote before, they offered the same package for 200 baht per month, up until last month.

Now, some will still be able to subscribe to the same package as above @ 1926 baht per 90 days.

Just asked Mrs P, says It came as an Apple Package deal so not relevant for the OP. Nothing like 2KPM though

40 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I used it for over a year. It was never 200 a month. The cheapest I ever got was around 170 per week.

27 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Just asked Mrs P, says It came as an Apple Package deal so not relevant for the OP. Nothing like 2KPM though

Your posts are a bit confused. ???? 

2KPM(sic)? No one has suggested such a thing.

It's not about where you can use it, but at least 100 GB of data or unlimited 'no slow down' data packages.

Just now, wimpy said:

I used it for over a year. It was never 200 a month. The cheapest I ever got was around 170 per week.

It was a new SIM promo. Buy a new SIM for 50 baht and you could add the 200 baht per month 10 Mbps package, which would auto-renew for up to twelve months.

It has been posted and re-posted over and over again on this board for at least six months.

A shame you missed it.

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

It was a new SIM promo. Buy a new SIM for 50 baht and you could add the 200 baht per month 10 Mbps package, which would auto-renew for up to twelve months.

It has been posted and re-posted over and over again on this board for at least six months.

A shame you missed it.

Never saw that. Regardless, all that matters is what you can get right now. The 1110 a month seems to be the best prepaid deal out there now for big data users.

7 minutes ago, wimpy said:

Never saw that. Regardless, all that matters is what you can get right now. The 1110 a month seems to be the best prepaid deal out there now for big data users.

No. You keep insisting. Some users can still get 90 days of 10 Mbps for 1926 baht, amongst other packages.

There is also 12 month of unlimited 10 Mbps with Truemove H for 1890 baht, the equivalent of 157.50 baht per month.

Don't keep insisting without reading what has been written, within this thread alone.

Edited by Eindhoven

35 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

No. You keep insisting. Some users can still get 90 days of 10 Mbps for 1926 baht, amongst other packages.

There is also 12 month of unlimited 10 Mbps with Truemove H for 1890 baht, the equivalent of 157.50 baht per month.

Don't keep insisting without reading what has been written, within this thread alone.

If you have a link to the deal, post it. Don't see it on the website or the app.

Just now, pineapple01 said:

True Website

None of the offers referred to on this thread are available on the Truemove H website.

That's why these threads are so important. As they collate all of the known information in one place.

That is also why people should check what has been posted beforehand. That way they can add to the conversation constructively.

If they don't understand something, they can ask.

Not so helpful when people are told to look at a website that certainly does not and will not contain the relevant information.

Nor if they insist that something is the best package when cheaper options for the same thing have already been posted.

So instead of being flippant about it, appreciate the work that goes into collating the information for all.

Your not understanding it doesn't make it less worthy.

I'm certainly not grumpy. But if I have just posted the correct information and someone posts something directly afterwards, contradicting it, what should I do? Let the incorrect information stand, let to misinform?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wimpy said:

If you have a link to the deal, post it. Don't see it on the website or the app.

Do you imagine that everything that exists has a hyperlink to it?

I've already written about it, which is why I suggest that you peruse the thread beforehand.

Then you will know where things stand.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4g5g-10-mbps-1-i1036692079-s2298840141.html is also option.

But my suggestion would be to get a new AIS SIM for 50 baht, apply 200 baht to it and to try the code for Unlimited 10 Mbps; *777*932# then to hit the Dial key.

It might be still working for a limited period.

If it works, bonus. You can renew that for up to twelve months. If not you can still apply another working code for the limited data 10 Mbps package for that month.

First thing you need to do before buying a mobile data sim card is check the coverage area of the provider,if your in the pattaya area,the best coverage is provided by True 4G,then AIS then DTAC,not to difficult to check coverage area of each provider. 

On 6/19/2020 at 5:05 AM, Oztruckie said:

First thing you need to do before buying a mobile data sim card is check the coverage area of the provider,if your in the pattaya area,the best coverage is provided by True 4G,then AIS then DTAC,not to difficult to check coverage area of each provider. 

Sorry, but what you write is simply not true. See what I did there?

Truemove H consistently gives me the worst results. In Pattaya, I get the the best speeds from AIS. In Jomtien, DTAC. YMMV. So suggesting one over the other isn't helpful.

How do you propose to check it before buying it?? Ask someone living next to you to check their speeds?

Perhaps you mean before adding the long term package. Because you would need some data in order to test the speeds at your location.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:05 AM, Oztruckie said:

I only have DTAC thus far. Is there any app that allow me to check 4G coverage based on gps location? Buying few simcards to test out 4G coverage doesnt seem wise and asking strangers to check it for me could get me into trouble too.

10 hours ago, arfandy said:

I only have DTAC thus far. Is there any app that allow me to check 4G coverage based on gps location? Buying few simcards to test out 4G coverage doesnt seem wise and asking strangers to check it for me could get me into trouble too.

Buy the SIM card. It costs 50 baht or less. You already have DTAC, so maximum spend is 100 baht.

Seems more wise than spending 2000 baht on a SIM card only to find it performs horribly in your apartment. Coverage map won't help you there.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Buy the SIM card. It costs 50 baht or less. You already have DTAC, so maximum spend is 100 baht.

Seems more wise than spending 2000 baht on a SIM card only to find it performs horribly in your apartment. Coverage map won't help you there.

50 baht simcard but i have to subscribe for "unlimited" internet per month will cost me at least 350 baht per cycle. Wouldnt be better to buy 1400 baht simcard with unlimited 10Mbps for 12 cycles without the need to topup anything? 

But yes, there is no way to find out if my place is blanketed by 4G signal of certain provider unless i test 'em all out.

You don't need any credit or data plan on the SIM to see signal strength.  Don't quote me on this but I think even expired SIM cards will work.  I believe apps such as

Network Cell Info Lite

will still show you coverage and signal strength without that as long as you have a wifi connection so the app can download the map.  If expired SIMs work you can probably get those for free if you ask around.

You will need to buy a data plan to test speed.  That can vary between sites, providers, and time of day.  There are some apps that try to crowdsource that info but I haven't found any that were of any use.  If anyone knows of one free or not, that is actually useful I would be interested to hear about it.  

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

50 baht simcard but i have to subscribe for "unlimited" internet per month will cost me at least 350 baht per cycle. Wouldnt be better to buy 1400 baht simcard with unlimited 10Mbps for 12 cycles without the need to topup anything? 

But yes, there is no way to find out if my place is blanketed by 4G signal of certain provider unless i test 'em all out.

No. SIM 50 baht. 100 MB volume of data pack, 10 baht. Go to your room and run a speed test. If Truemove H gives you a good speed, say 10 -20 Mbps, Then you can buy one of the long term SIMs.

If it gives only 2 to 4 Mbps and that isn't enough for you, then you might want to look at another option.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:02 PM, arfandy said:

Hi, where do you buy this modem? Dtac stores? And how do you activate/buy the package without having anything to register or select package?

This is UK model but I am sure you can get in Thailand

On 6/22/2020 at 12:22 PM, Eindhoven said:

True. You can get bad surprises sometimes !

In February I stayed 1 month in a condo unit where my AIS couldn't give better than 2-3 Mbps! ????

Putting my phone on the rail of the balcony, I could reach 4-5 Mbps...

In the outside car park and nearby the condo I had a strong 12+ Mbps

Probably some faraday cage effect in the condo ??

For those on a tight budget or with less demanding requirements, DTAC & Truemove H also offer, in addition to the above(though without the option for unlimited calls as with AIS), Unlimited 2 Mbps for 90 baht per month.

Truemove H bundles in free WiFi. Anything to try to out-compete DTAC.

All new SIM promos that last for six months.

• Like 1