Guide me please, need mobile Internet for home users

arfandy

Dear all,

So the place we moved, has no Internet line. We visited local ToT and was told that subcription to install the line is at least one-year contract while we only stay until both Thailand airport and our homecountry airport is open (that could be a month, two months, or till the end of this year).

Our landowner refused to get involve with this IT stuff as she is old and does not even know what Internet is.

So question, is there any equivalent alternative to access hi-speed internet (mainly for netflix, youtube, upload/download cloud, etc) for family user? I've heard about this small little tethering modem with simcard inserted but never actually seen or tried it. Kindly advice me of your choices for prepaid package of (DTAC, ThAIS, 1-2-Call, etc) that meet up our needs. I.e ~100GB monthly data, connecting simultaniously to 7-8 devices, each probably will access Netflix or Youtube at any given time. My monthly budget for Internet is around 800-1000 baht, i checked with landline ToT internet and the 100Mbps monthly package is around that price too (except it is unlimited data).

And where or how to buy those products in the market?

Thank you.

• Haha 1

I assume you have a laptop with which you want to surf the Internet.

If you have a mobile phone, the only thing you need to do is to go to the Settings of your mobile phone, and under Tethering & Protable Hotspot enable Portable Wifi Hotspot.

Your laptop will now show that there is a new Wifi source available, it will ask for the password and presto you have Internet connection on your laptop using your mobile phone as Hub.

For my mobile phone I took a dTac 10Mb unlimited data monthly subscription, and can watch YouTube, 123Movies and other video-sites without any buffering.

Works perfectly.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2

I have a back bone with an AIS G4 wireless router with both wifi and two 100Mb ports, think I paid around 2,000 baht for the device. Monthly prepaid fee is about 550 baht with unlimited data, but at some point at reduced speed if you meet an agreed Gb monthly limit, which I cannot remember. Works perfect.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

I assume you have a laptop with which you want to surf the Internet.

If you have a mobile phone, the only thing you need to do is to go to the Settings of your mobile phone, and under Tethering & Protable Hotspot enable Portable Wifi Hotspot.

Your laptop will now show that there is a new Wifi source available, it will ask for the password and presto you have Internet connection on your laptop using your mobile phone as Hub.

For my mobile phone I took a dTac 10Mb unlimited data monthly subscription, and can watch YouTube, 123Movies and other video-sites without any buffering.

Works perfectly.

Thanks for the advice. Yes i am aware of smartphone tethering but also notice by doing so, it will shorten the battery expectancy of my smartphone which is irreplacable battery. This is my 5th smartphone after previous 4 went off the grid with battery problem. I couldnt find battery replacement and well, i couldnt exactly crack open those smartphones just to replace the batteries.

I think someone has showed that little tethering modem. I might have to look it up online.

How much DTAC Unlimited package that you mention? 

4 hours ago, tiocfaidh said:

Get yourself a mobile hotshot, put Dtac or AIS sim in and have 10 people log into it. 

20200616_082812.jpg

Hi, where do you buy this modem? Dtac stores? And how do you activate/buy the package without having anything to register or select package?

5 minutes ago, arfandy said:

Thanks for the advice. Yes i am aware of smartphone tethering but also notice by doing so, it will shorten the battery expectancy of my smartphone which is irreplacable battery. This is my 5th smartphone after previous 4 went off the grid with battery problem. I couldnt find battery replacement and well, i couldnt exactly crack open those smartphones just to replace the batteries.

I think someone has showed that little tethering modem. I might have to look it up online.

How much DTAC Unlimited package that you mention? 

When I surf the Internet on my laptop, using my mobile phone as Hub I have the mobile phone plugged in an electricity outlet so that it is charging.  Doing this already more than one year and I experience no impact on the phone battery.

My dtac unlimited data package on 10 Mb, costs me approx 720,- THB each month (no call credit).  I am aware that there are cheaper longer-term schemes, so it's a matter of shopping around to find the scheme that best meets your needs.

Success!

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

My dtac unlimited data package on 10 Mb, costs me approx 720,- THB each month (no call credit).  I am aware that there are cheaper longer-term schemes, so it's a matter of shopping around to find the scheme that best meets your needs.

which is that package? I have DTAC postpaid sim 6 Mbps for 750 THB, and prepaid plans were even more expensive.

Get a pocket WiFi.... go to a local you trust and see what they offer.

this way won’t drain your phone battery. I go to local shop says AIS on banner but they carry different services.., 

Tell them you want pocket WiFi monthly service and see what the have available... used a pocket WiFi 3 years and works good.. the shop knows me well and if the prior is not a good ie plan changed.. they tell me ok this one.. I pay as you go .. I’ve had 4-5 pigeons on the line and worked fine...

Good luck....

• Like 1

AIS internet unlimited prepaid.

Using the 4mbps package for Netflix SD and YouTube at home, works perfectly.

And when paid 6 months in advantage, excellent value iny opinion. 

Screenshot_2020-06-17-06-23-49-40.png.06d64035e9edef16a20ac0081311b1c8.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLW said:

Thank you. I'll try to compare with other providers.

9 hours ago, fdsa said:

which is that package? I have DTAC postpaid sim 6 Mbps for 750 THB, and prepaid plans were even more expensive.

Sorry, I made a mistake > I have a subscription to the dTac 4Mbps unlimited data package, and opted to have the monthly fee (650 THB but with taxes approx 720 THB) taken from my credit automatically.  So I just ensure that by the time the monthly extension is due that I have more than 720 THB on my phone.

With that package only your data are unlimited, but since I very very seldom use that dTac package on my mobile phone to make a call (I use Line, Skype or WhatsApp to call), that doesn't matter for me, so I only keep approx 100 THB credit on my account.

But the important thing is that even with my dTac package being only 4 Mbps, I never experience any buffering when watching YouTube vids or streaming 123movies on my laptop using my mobile phone as Hub.

NOTE: If you don't want to use your current mobile phone to act as Hub (in order to spare the battery), can you not simply buy a new SIM and put it in one of your older phones with weak battery, and plug the charger of that phone in an electricity outlet.  Doing so, you would probably also be able to buy a cheap promotion package together with that new SIM.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

But the important thing is that even with my dTac package being only 4 Mbps, I never experience any buffering when watching YouTube vids or streaming 123movies on my laptop using my mobile phone as Hub.

You and a few other posters has not noticed that the OP wants to connect 7-8 devices each connecting to youtube or netflix at any time so worst case is that they are all doing it at the same time.

There is no way a 4Mbps connection can handle so much traffic, the OP will need the highest speed package he can get ie 10Mbps from the provider he choose.

• Thanks 1

I believe the prepaid DTAC package I mentioned is the cheapest for truly  unlimited data. You can get higher speed if you go post paid, but must commit to a yearly contract.

Edited by wimpy

4 hours ago, wimpy said:

I believe the prepaid DTAC package I mentioned is the cheapest for truly  unlimited data. You can get higher speed if you go post paid, but must commit to a yearly contract.

What are the requirements to go post-paid? Is this the package you refer to? 10Mbps for few youtubes connecting at the same time should be enough with couple second of buffers. 

Screenshot_2020-06-17-16-34-54-12.png

5 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

One 10mbps SIM package per device better, I find using more than one device leads to buffering.

I cant really afford to pay 1k baht per month, per device just for family entertainment. Mostly kids will be watching youtubes, so few sec bufferings should not be noticable to them.

10 hours ago, CLW said:

And that package, Bht 1200 for 6 months, has just gone up from Bht 600.

14 minutes ago, stouricks said:

And that package, Bht 1200 for 6 months, has just gone up from Bht 600.

I have the 4 Mbps package on one of my phones. They throttle my speed once I have hit my monthly data limit. Not truly "unlimited".

31 minutes ago, arfandy said:

What are the requirements to go post-paid? Is this the package you refer to? 10Mbps for few youtubes connecting at the same time should be enough with couple second of buffers. 

Screenshot_2020-06-17-16-34-54-12.png

You need a non-imm visa or a Thai bankbook for post pay. I pay 850 a month for unlimited full speed data. Have to commit for a year.

That looks like the prepay package I had, but the price seems higher now.

13 hours ago, wimpy said:

You need a non-imm visa or a Thai bankbook for post pay. I pay 850 a month for unlimited full speed data. Have to commit for a year.

That looks like the prepay package I had, but the price seems higher now.

I dont have non-imm visa and my current tourist visa has been expired indefinetely since couple months ago. I am living with visa amnesty from Thai government. 

Do you know any other unlimited 10Mbps prepaid package from other service providers that are cheaper? I saw someone posted that AIS unlimited data package is not exactly unlimited as the speed will be throttled once user reaches monthly limit. 

In reality, no one needs a TV hook up or in room internet/wifi connections.

Tether your phone to laptop works great.

Also, with an android box connected to your TV tether your phone to it.

Just get an unlimited phone data package good to go.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:12 PM, Peter Denis said:

When I surf the Internet on my laptop, using my mobile phone as Hub I have the mobile phone plugged in an electricity outlet so that it is charging.  Doing this already more than one year and I experience no impact on the phone battery.

Success!

That is rather unfortunate, as DTAC were offering that package for 200 baht per month, since last November. 

Unless you already had an older DTAC SIM, registered before March 2019 and wanted to use that particular number, there was no reason for you to pay more than 200 baht per month.

Unfortunately the period for subscribing to the 200 baht promo has ended.

Older SIM may still have the option of 90 days of 10 Mbps for 1926 baht.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:24 AM, Peter Denis said:

Sorry, I made a mistake > I have a subscription to the dTac 4Mbps unlimited data package, and opted to have the monthly fee (650 THB but with taxes approx 720 THB) taken from my credit automatically.  So I just ensure that by the time the monthly extension is due that I have more than 720 THB on my phone.

With that package only your data are unlimited, but since I very very seldom use that dTac package on my mobile phone to make a call (I use Line, Skype or WhatsApp to call), that doesn't matter for me, so I only keep approx 100 THB credit on my account.

NOTE: If you don't want to use your current mobile phone to act as Hub (in order to spare the battery), can you not simply buy a new SIM and put it in one of your older phones with weak battery, and plug the charger of that phone in an electricity outlet.  Doing so, you would probably also be able to buy a cheap promotion package together with that new SIM.

They, DTAC offered 4 Mbps unlimited, for 150 baht per month. I don't know how you managed to miss it, as it has been heavily publicised here.

21 hours ago, wimpy said:

I have the 4 Mbps package on one of my phones. They throttle my speed once I have hit my monthly data limit. Not truly "unlimited".

Then you are not subscribed to an Unlimited package.

There are truly unlimited packages available.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

In reality, no one needs a TV hook up or in room internet/wifi connections.

Tether your phone to laptop works great.

Also, with an android box connected to your TV tether your phone to it.

Just get an unlimited phone data package good to go.

OP already stated that they do not want to use their phone to tether...