Great Food, Good Times And Awesome Service

cori

:o Recently my husband and I spent a week in Chiang Mai, near the Night Markets. We stumbled upon a gem of a pub in O'Mallies and frequently went there for dinner. The service was always prompt, friendly and efficient. It was a relaxing atmosphere with a good variety on the menu and ample portions. The ribs were amazing but be sure to leave some room for his homemade desserts! Heard some rumors that the service was poor and want to reassure everyone that it is simply not true! I think the competition has a reason to be worried - O'Mallies has set the bar quite high. The owner is a former Canadian that prides himself

in the best customer service that he can provide. You can even order a beer and take it with you while

you have a massage nearby! Be sure to stop in if you are craving a bit of homestyle cooking- you won't be dissappointed! Or simply belly up to the bar for some conversation with an international flavor, or enjoy a friendly game of pool. Either way, you're sure to have a relaxing time and meet new friends. Thanks!

Corinne and Eric Clark, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Last time I was in there...YES....... overpowering..... :o:D

Even with all the poluted air following the yearly ritual S&B in Chiangers Lenas (outside) was preferable......

In Apocs Now Col.Kurtz used to mumble .......the Horror...The horror....up there in the fag /smoke infested "eateries"....it would be........

the Smeeeelll...the Smeeell....... :D:D

Even with all the poluted air following the yearly ritual S&B in Chiangers Lenas (outside) was preferable......

In Apocs Now Col.Kurtz used to mumble .......the Horror...The horror....up there in the fag /smoke infested "eateries"....it would be........

You guys are like a dog with a bone, when it comes to O'Malley's!!!

When some folk recently criticised The Duke's a whole debate opened up as to the rights and wrongs of slagging off peoples businesses, and quite rightly so. It appears that for some reason, however, O'Malley's is fair game.

Personally, I like O'Malley's but like everywhere else some people will rave about it whilst others will wonder what all the fuss is about. However, it appears that the moment someone praises the place you have to make a counter point. It is beginning to look like you guys have some personal vendetta, which should not be carried out in public.

If you like a place then it is good of you to share your thoughts with others, but to continually criticise a place publically is considered to be bad taste in most civilised countries. I'm sure the standard "they should accept the criticism as well as the praise" argument will raise it's head but as someone once said "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything". It's something to do with being civilised.

You guys somehow feel it is your duty to inform us of your strong dislike of somewhere, but personally I think you show a bit more class with regards to your public statements. The reason why most people don't publically criticise others is to "save face" and maybe show a little grace too.

By the way, the very personal statements made against the staff at O'Malley's were in extremely poor taste and should never have been allowed. People who stay in Thailand should appreciate that to publically cause someone to lose face is very distressing to those concerned. But I imagine that no matter how long some people stay in Thailand, they will never learn how to behave in a civilised manner.

:o:D

Last time I was in there...YES....... overpowering..... :D:D

the Smeeeelll...the Smeeell....... :D:bah:

When some folk recently criticised The Duke's a whole debate opened up as to the rights and wrongs of slagging off peoples businesses, and quite rightly so. It appears that for some reason, however, O'Malley's is fair game.

Personally, I like O'Malley's but like everywhere else some people will rave about it whilst others will wonder what all the fuss is about. However, it appears that the moment someone praises the place you have to make a counter point. It is beginning to look like you guys have some personal vendetta, which should not be carried out in public.

If you like a place then it is good of you to share your thoughts with others, but to continually criticise a place publically is considered to be bad taste in most civilised countries. I'm sure the standard "they should accept the criticism as well as the praise" argument will raise it's head but as someone once said "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything". It's something to do with being civilised.

You guys somehow feel it is your duty to inform us of your strong dislike of somewhere, but personally I think you show a bit more class with regards to your public statements. The reason why most people don't publically criticise others is to "save face" and maybe show a little grace too.

By the way, the very personal statements made against the staff at O'Malley's were in extremely poor taste and should never have been allowed. People who stay in Thailand should appreciate that to publically cause someone to lose face is very distressing to those concerned. But I imagine that no matter how long some people stay in Thailand, they will never learn how to behave in a civilised manner.

:o Recently my husband and I spent a week in Chiang Mai, near the Night Markets. We stumbled upon a gem of a pub in O'Mallies and frequently went there for dinner. The service was always prompt, friendly and efficient. It was a relaxing atmosphere with a good variety on the menu and ample portions. The ribs were amazing but be sure to leave some room for his homemade desserts! Heard some rumors that the service was poor and want to reassure everyone that it is simply not true! I think the competition has a reason to be worried - O'Mallies has set the bar quite high. The owner is a former Canadian that prides himself

in the best customer service that he can provide. You can even order a beer and take it with you while

you have a massage nearby! Be sure to stop in if you are craving a bit of homestyle cooking- you won't be dissappointed! Or simply belly up to the bar for some conversation with an international flavor, or enjoy a friendly game of pool. Either way, you're sure to have a relaxing time and meet new friends. Thanks!

The preceding has been a paid political announcement

P.S. Thanks Mom, but over here we spell it O'Malley's :D:D

P S S BlueNose..... lighten up a bit,,,,,, don't take it too serious, most of the posts are in a smiley joking vein when it comes to the good restaruants...

I must have missed that part of a post but in essence I agree with you - there is something about the O'Malley's pub that seems to fire up people. Don't know why but there is a definite demarkation between the Red Lion and O'Malley's. I have been to both, eaten at both, drunk at both, been drunk at both, enjoyed both, and find them both decent pubs. I personally prefer the open air bars because of the cigarette smoke but that is personal choice.

I think both have a good standard and wish them well.

Re the OP - pleased they enjoyed their time in CM and the pub

BTW - I have no affilication with any bar and personally don't normally drink at either but also don't like it when people slag of other people's business'

CB

You make a good point. perhaps some of the "civilized world" can learn a lesson or two from the Thai people when it comes to "saving face". To be rude is simply a reflection of your own bad manners. and ignorance.

If you don't like a place, then simply stay away and patronize another eatery of your choice. If I like a place but have had an isolated issue that is easily resolved, I might try and offer a constructive criticism to the management to help them improve their service and keep me as a customer. However, we had no problems whatsoever at O'Malley's and looked forward to our evening dinner there. I would describe myself as a fairly discriminating person (my husband would say "picky"!) when it comes to preference of restaurants and the level of service. Canadians generally enjoy a high standard of customer service and come to expect that in their travels. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at O'Malleys, and never found the smoke to be objectionable or I certainly wouldn't have stayed, much less eaten there. Remember too that whenever the locals see us, we are on holidays - eating, drinking and shopping and spending money. A lot of money. I think that it must be difficult for them to understand that most of us hold regular jobs throughout the rest of the year, saving money to travel to foreign countries such as theirs. They can only dream of a life like ours. Most of them will never have the opportunity to travel abroad. I think that the majority of the Thai people are very hard-working, struggling not just to get ahead, but to survive. Most of us are considered very rich by their standards, taking for granted things that are beyond their wildest dreams. If someone is unable to embrace the culture and wants it to be just like home. then perhaps they should just stay home! To be a guest in their homeland and be critical of their way of life is unthinkable and boorish!

I hate cigarette smoke in eating places, but also feel that if a restaurant has a good ventalation system, it is unfair to smokers to forbid them from indulging - despite the laws against it.

I have to admit that I hate walking in a place early in the day and stale smoke and beer odors, but not enough to avoid going there if it is good.

Do most non-smokers these days feel that the law should be strictly followed and no exceptions?

also feel that if a restaurant has a good ventalation system, it is unfair to smokers to forbid them from indulging - despite the laws against it
I don't think that following the smoking law is too much to ask from an owner. In fact, any place that doesn't, doesn't get my business anymore...

As a former smoker, who just became a smoker again (how stupid is that?) I can state that I really don't like to even be in a place with other peoples' smoke. I try to be considerate in public. I greatly prefer open air places, etc. Far as I'm concerned, they can enforce the law. If I have to walk out to the street to smoke, so be it.

As a former smoker, who just became a smoker again (how stupid is that?) I can state that I really don't like to even be in a place with other peoples' smoke. I try to be considerate in public. I greatly prefer open air places, etc. Far as I'm concerned, they can enforce the law. If I have to walk out to the street to smoke, so be it.

As a revolving smoker/former smoker (currently the latter), I can understand the sensitivity of the issue of smoking in public places but I do not understand people who would smoke while others are eating. But then I have never smoked not only in my own home or car but anyone else's and certainly not around people who are trying to enjoy a meal. I was brought up to respect the space and sensibilities of others but many smokers seem to have a certain belligerence about their 'right to smoke' wherever they please and couldn't care less about offending others.

And then there is this issue of people going not only off-topic but off on one-another over seemingly benign issues like restaurant recommendations. I for one appreciate feedback from posters about places to try and any changes that may be happening in certain popular restaurants but sometimes am put off by the lengthy tirades by the grinches and grumps even when it is supposedly tongue-in-cheek. In fact I haven't been on these forums very much since a poster not long ago suggested that I go into the street and smash my face on the pavement until I am unconscious for merely having an opinion..

As much as I dislike censorship, there are times when I wish that moderators would step in early when it begins to get ugly.

My thanks to the OP. It is always nice to hear that someone had a pleasant experience in our delightful town and I hope your next experience here is even more rewarding. Chiang Mai is 'my kinda town'... :o

Wise words of wisdom, Dustoff. Be considerate of others- not just about smoke; about other people's feelings.

Today was a glorious, beautiful stellar day here in our chosen place, Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Really happy to be alive and living here. :o

:D Recently my husband and I spent a week in Chiang Mai, near the Night Markets. We stumbled upon a gem of a pub in O'Mallies and frequently went there for dinner. The service was always prompt, friendly and efficient. It was a relaxing atmosphere with a good variety on the menu and ample portions. The ribs were amazing but be sure to leave some room for his homemade desserts! Heard some rumors that the service was poor and want to reassure everyone that it is simply not true! I think the competition has a reason to be worried - O'Mallies has set the bar quite high. The owner is a former Canadian that prides himself

P S S BlueNose..... lighten up a bit,,,,,, don't take it too serious, most of the posts are in a smiley joking vein when it comes to the good restaruants...

I'm just asking you to give them a break!

P.S. Over here we spell it restaurants!!! :o

I hate cigarette smoke in eating places, but also feel that if a restaurant has a good ventalation system, it is unfair to smokers to forbid them from indulging - despite the laws against it.

I have to admit that I hate walking in a place early in the day and stale smoke and beer odors, but not enough to avoid going there if it is good.

Do most non-smokers these days feel that the law should be strictly followed and no exceptions?

I have NEVER smoked in my life - my parents were heavy smokers but that was the norm back then, my dad would light up mid meal and think nothing of it. Not that long ago in Thailand - everywhere in Asia really - it was common for men to smoke at the same time as they ate their meal. I remember watching a guy in Vietnam eating noodles with chopsticks in one hand and a cigarette in the other. He had one bowl of noodles and 3 cigarettes in 15 minutes. No one took any notice.

I am happy/resigned/prepared to put up with - cigarette smoke in bars and don't worry about it. I do tend to sit outside thougth because it helps to reduce the smoke intake and also many closed bars here are just too ###### cold for me to sit comfortably. I don't like people smoking when I am eating and much prefer the new rules of "no smoking in the restaurants" I have spoken to a couple of farung at a local restaurant I like about them smoking while sitting under a "no smoking" sign.

Like a lot of things here I have to decide if it is worth the effort to do something about, many of my friends smoke and I respect that as their right to do so but I ask them to be considerate of my health by not blowing their smoke at me or while we are eating.

Opening up our old bar every morning and being greeted by the smell of stale beer, cigarette smoke, and unwashed bodies was always a joy but so was walking out back to where our place butted up to a Thai bar where the guys used to urinate on the wall/packing crates etc was so much worse. Ahhh the joys of owning a bar in Thailand :o

CB

You'd have to be from Canada to write the above.

Either that or Scott has fired all his staff, hire new people and then given them some training in how to smile :D

This has to be a full 180 on what 99% of people found when visiting O'Malleys

Edited by john b good

I have had many a night in O'Malleys and most times enjoyed the beverage and food.

That said, it is almost without a doubt that some of the female staff there were the most obnoxious that one could ever have had the misfortune to come across.

If they have lost face because of, or as a result of something written on TV so be it "if the cap fits, they should wear it"

They always had the opportunity to modify their disposition.

Too many people coming to Thailand endorse this nonsense regarding "face" instead of perhaps challenging it.

Edited by john b good

what I cant understand is why people (usually from England) travel half way around the world at some expense, end up going into a pub similiar to what they have at home frequently, some travellers end up in the pub everynight. Might be easier to go to a local pub but to one youre not familiar with so it will be slighty novel.

perhaps the OP doesnt like thai food.

Not a criticism on the OP but my lack of understanding maybe?

what I cant understand is why people (usually from England) travel half way around the world at some expense, end up going into a pub similiar to what they have at home frequently, some travellers end up in the pub everynight. Might be easier to go to a local pub but to one youre not familiar with so it will be slighty novel.

perhaps the OP doesnt like thai food.

Not a criticism on the OP but my lack of understanding maybe?

Donnyboy - mate been to a bar in/near town recently? They are filled with tourists and expats - me tonight (woohoo) out for a drink in a bar that tries (usually unsuccessfully) to emulate a pub back home. Queen Vic, The Bell, Down Under, Red Lion, O'Malley's, The Pub, Bear's Pit (is that still open?) the list is endless

Normally I prefer my local bar with the arse on a bamboo pole as we sit by the roadside but tonight I will lash out and go upmarket at Juicy Bar or #1 in Loi Kroh

:D

CB

:D Recently my husband and I spent a week in Chiang Mai, near the Night Markets. We stumbled upon a gem of a pub in O'Mallies and frequently went there for dinner. The service was always prompt, friendly and efficient. It was a relaxing atmosphere with a good variety on the menu and ample portions. The ribs were amazing but be sure to leave some room for his homemade desserts! Heard some rumors that the service was poor and want to reassure everyone that it is simply not true! I think the competition has a reason to be worried - O'Mallies has set the bar quite high. The owner is a former Canadian that prides himself

I'm just asking you to give them a break!

P.S. Over here we spell it restaurants!!! :o

:o As an addendum to my former comments, we had an incredible time in Thailand, exploring it from top to bottom. We especially enjoyed Northern Thailand, Chiang Mai, and near the Myanmar border, theThaton and Chiang Rai regions.We loveThai food, the people and the culture. The ONLY place that we wern't crazy about was Bangkok. Although I understand that hustling is a way for locals to survive, it felt like being at work - always having to be on guard, and questioning someone's motives. As a paramedic in a large city, I am used to dealing with all kinds of situations and populations of varied and questionable backgrounds. My husband is a Correctional Officer, and former S.W.A.T. team member. Neither of us are novices to travelling to third world countries. We travel fairly extensively every year, often going well off the beaten track. After a lengthy time away, it is nice, however, to enjoy some of the familiarities of home, to be able to relax and know what is expected. O'Malley's provided that refuge after a hectic day. As it was very close to our hotel, it worked out well when we didn't want to go far. Our daughter lives in Australia, so we frequently travel there or meet her somewhere in Asia. Next year we plan on diving in cages to see great white sharks off the coast of Southern Australia (near Port Lincoln), and then houseboat down the Murray River from Mannum (which we've done before). If anyone has a recommendation about which commpany to book the shark diving tour through I would be interested to hear your suggestions/comments. As I write this, the snow is almost gone and the weather is expected to get to 18C within a few days (which is fairly warm for early spring in Western Canada) so enjoy the sunshine and have a Singha for us! We have lots of special memories of Thailand. Cori

Our daughter lives in Australia, so we frequently travel there or meet her somewhere in Asia. Next year we plan on diving in cages to see great white sharks off the coast of Southern Australia (near Port Lincoln), and then houseboat down the Murray River from Mannum (which we've done before). If anyone has a recommendation about which commpany to book the shark diving tour through I would be interested to hear your suggestions/comments. As I write this, the snow is almost gone and the weather is expected to get to 18C within a few days (which is fairly warm for early spring in Western Canada) so enjoy the sunshine and have a Singha for us! We have lots of special memories of Thailand. Cori

Regarding the shark dive - best is the Fairlie with Rodney Fox - he who has the largest number of stiches from a single shark attack. The Fairlie is a live aboard and takes divers out to the Neptune Islands of Pt. Lincoln.

Neptune Island is a major seal rookery and the pups are favourite food for the GW. The dives are in shark cages (obviously) and you must have full accreditation. Rodney is a vey experience divemaster/operator and he will assess the divers. If he says ok - you dive, if he is in anyway concerned about the diver's ability or stability he will refuse to let them dive. His word is law and he has refused very experience divers because he doesn't like their attitude.

THe houseboat tours are great but because of the lack of water in the river due to the extended drought across Australia there are difficulties in navigating the river. Send me a PM for more details about both or other things of interest to you in Australia

BTW just to get this topic back securely on topic - went to O'Malleys the other night for a meal (nice) beer (great) and thought the place was good. Staff were pleasant and unusual for me I happily sat inside in the A/C.

CB

:o As an addendum to my former comments, we had an incredible time in Thailand, exploring is We especially enjoyed Northern Thailand, Chiang Mai, and near the Myanmar border, theThaton and Chiang Rai regions.We loveThai food, the people and the culture. The ONLY place that we wern't crazy about was Bangkok. Although I understand that hustling is a way for locals to survive, it felt like being at work - always having to be on guard, and questioning someone's motives. As a paramedic in a large city, I am used to dealing with all kinds of situations and populations of varied and questionable backgrounds. My husband is a Correctional Officer, and former S.W.A.T. team member. Neither of us are novices to travelling to third world countries. We travel fairly extensively every year, often going well off the beaten track. After a lengthy time away, it is nice, however, to enjoy some of the familiarities of home, to be able to relax and know what is expected. O'Malley's provided that refuge after a hectic day. As it was very close to our hotel, it worked out well when we didn't want to go far. Our daughter lives in Australia, so we frequently travel there or meet her somewhere in Asia. Next year we plan on diving in cages to see great white sharks off the coast of Southern Australia (near Port Lincoln), and then houseboat down the Murray River from Mannum (which we've done before). If anyone has a recommendation about which commpany to book the shark diving tour through I would be interested to hear your suggestions/comments. As I write this, the snow is almost gone and the weather is expected to get to 18C within a few days (which is fairly warm for early spring in Western Canada) so enjoy the sunshine and have a Singha for us! We have lots of special memories of Thailand. Cori

Is this satire?

Explored Thailand "Thailand from top to bottom?" In a couple of weeks? As an American, I'm glad she appears to be Canadian. Bush is enough of an embarrassment.

:o As an addendum to my former comments, we had an incredible time in Thailand, exploring is We especially enjoyed Northern Thailand, Chiang Mai, and near the Myanmar border, theThaton and Chiang Rai regions.We loveThai food, the people and the culture. The ONLY place that we wern't crazy about was Bangkok. Although I understand that hustling is a way for locals to survive, it felt like being at work - always having to be on guard, and questioning someone's motives. As a paramedic in a large city, I am used to dealing with all kinds of situations and populations of varied and questionable backgrounds. My husband is a Correctional Officer, and former S.W.A.T. team member. Neither of us are novices to travelling to third world countries. We travel fairly extensively every year, often going well off the beaten track. After a lengthy time away, it is nice, however, to enjoy some of the familiarities of home, to be able to relax and know what is expected. O'Malley's provided that refuge after a hectic day. As it was very close to our hotel, it worked out well when we didn't want to go far. Our daughter lives in Australia, so we frequently travel there or meet her somewhere in Asia. Next year we plan on diving in cages to see great white sharks off the coast of Southern Australia (near Port Lincoln), and then houseboat down the Murray River from Mannum (which we've done before). If anyone has a recommendation about which commpany to book the shark diving tour through I would be interested to hear your suggestions/comments. As I write this, the snow is almost gone and the weather is expected to get to 18C within a few days (which is fairly warm for early spring in Western Canada) so enjoy the sunshine and have a Singha for us! We have lots of special memories of Thailand. Cori

Is this satire?

Explored Thailand "Thailand from top to bottom?" In a couple of weeks? As an American, I'm glad she appears to be Canadian. Bush is enough of an embarrassment.

understatement of the year, also the rest of his posse

Is this satire?

understatement of the year, also the rest of his posse

Agreed!!!!!!! but who is the bigger fool ? the fool himself or the fool who follows him?

I refer to Bush and his faithful little lap dog Tony Blair