Trump signs order on police reform after weeks of protests about racial injustice

webfact

21 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Apart from Trump who has rolled back previous police reforms by previous presidents. You can single out some Presidents for not doing much; Trump has actually made it worse.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-says-obama-didn-t-reform-policing-he-did-then-n1231200

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-falsely-claims-obama-never-even-tried-to-reform-police-2020-6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

I'm sure you can single out a lot of presidents, but I think it is a valid point that if you point out one president or any political leader on one side of the asile, the other must be pointed out as well so that all people can make a better informed judgement of leaders, past and present.

33 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Very easy. Do a Google search: "Obama blames Bush. Yes, you'd think Obama has a lot more class, but here it is not the case. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/obama/articles/2010/02/09/obama-wont-abandon-blame-bush-strategy

If you turned on the TV or radio during Obama's presidency and he was speaking, you could be almost guaranteed he'd blame Bush

And as far as the economy was concerned (which the article is almost entirely about), don't you think he had plenty of cause?

Bush was a disaster of a POTUS, leaving the world on the verge of economic collapse, then there was 8 years of righting the ship and economic prosperity which in turn was inherited by Trump. However, as we near the end of Trumps first term, it's back to a terrible economy, a pandemic he wants to ignore and social divide not seen in the US since the 60's.  

On the records of these 2 presidents alone, Republicans in general should never see the Whitehouse for the next 20 years.

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 12:43 PM, johnnybangkok said:

And as far as the economy was concerned (which the article is almost entirely about), don't you think he had plenty of cause?

Bush was a disaster of a POTUS, leaving the world on the verge of economic collapse, then there was 8 years of righting the ship and economic prosperity which in turn was inherited by Trump. However, as we near the end of Trumps first term, it's back to a terrible economy, a pandemic he wants to ignore and social divide not seen in the US since the 60's.  

On the records of these 2 presidents alone, Republicans in general should never see the Whitehouse for the next 20 years.

Disagree, but ok. Too long of a conversation to have on the computer. And Obama killed first amendment rights and civil liberties, but these are better left for conversations over food, not on a short forum, I think

On 6/17/2020 at 1:41 PM, Baerboxer said:

And what did Obama do in his 8 years to reform and change it?

The Republican congress blocked nearly every good thing that he tried to achieve, but I'm sure you already know that, so why bother asking the question? If it was to try to score some cheap political point then I'm afraid it will go down as an own goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2020 at 4:49 AM, Crazy Alex said:

I guess we're supposed to forget Obama militarized the police. Nice try.

Just to be clear, is "Obama militarized the police" the talking point of the day?

:coffee1:

On 6/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, DoctorG said:

With policing being a state and city responsibility there really is not a lot a President can do. Some pressure on funding and a few tweaks here and there.

If there's not much a President can do, then why is Trump blaming Obama? Also, if there's not much a President can do, does it mean the "order" is more like a PR stunt?

• Like 1