Which international destinations are reopening to tourists?

gargamon

(CNN) — Although most governments are still advising against "nonessential" international travel, a host of popular destinations are beginning to ease their Covid-19 lockdown measures and border restrictions and are moving toward welcoming tourists back.
Back in May, the European Union unveiled an action plan to reopen its internal borders in time for summer, while countries such as Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have formed "travel bubbles," lifting restrictions for each other's citizens.
Some Caribbean islands are already beginning to open their doors to foreign visitors again, while destinations such as Mexico and Thailand are planning to reopen region by region in the coming weeks.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/global-destinations-reopening-to-tourists/index.html

Edited by gargamon
fix link

The following article gives a fairly detailed overview of travel restrictions/liftings within Europe:

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-travel-europe-country-by-country-travel-restrictions-explained-summer-2020/. However, entry restrictions for non-EU citizens to Europe have been extended from June 15th to August 31st, though some countries -including Germany- have indicated a preference for July 1st.

The https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm has a clickable world map with travel restrictions for any country. 

I read somewhere UAE are trying to get ahead of the rest attracting tourists as early as July/August . 

Hotels etc. are under strict guidelines of course , suppose this would be the new normal for all countries .

The reason I mention UAE specifically is I've a 24 hour wait in Abu Dhabi headed to Dublin and dont fancy sleeping in the airport but as there are no tourists allowed to stop over outside the airport my options are limited . 

So watching closely before canceling my flight and redirecting to london then dublin . 

Edited by Macthehat
Spelling error

I'm quite pleased with the state of affairs in Europe. If Thailand's neighbors don't open up on time for me to resume my travels within the region, I will - finally - spend more time traveling in Europe again. There are many things I will miss, but border checkpoints isn't one of them!

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 2

Caldera,,,,bit of a silly statement & full of me, me,me.

Why don't you pop down to Jakarta or over to India if you must travel at this time in particular as unnecessary.

Europe is still a hotspot & cannot believe would travel around there if not needed

10 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Caldera,,,,bit of a silly statement & full of me, me,me.

Why don't you pop down to Jakarta or over to India if you must travel at this time in particular as unnecessary.

Europe is still a hotspot & cannot believe would travel around there if not needed

As always, I'll leave worrying to the worried noodles. In line with the updated travel advisories, I see no reason not to holiday in Europe (I didn't say I will tour places that remain virus hotspots, mind you).

Many great deals to be had; hotels and restaurants are eager to get back into business.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 12:16 PM, cormanr7 said:

The following article gives a fairly detailed overview of travel restrictions/liftings within Europe:

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-travel-europe-country-by-country-travel-restrictions-explained-summer-2020/. However, entry restrictions for non-EU citizens to Europe have been extended from June 15th to August 31st, though some countries -including Germany- have indicated a preference for July 1st.

The https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm has a clickable world map with travel restrictions for any country. 

Your first link leads to the following:- Do arrivals have to quarantine? No

Yet the IATA link says Germany is only open to EU nationals.

Anyone have accurate info on Germany?

7 hours ago, Macthehat said:

UAE are trying to get ahead of the rest attracting tourists as early as July/August . 

I believe the Maldives have beaten just about everybody, as tourism is fully open for business, with no restrictions at all!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I believe the Maldives have beaten just about everybody, as tourism is fully open for business, with no restrictions at all!

They did a 'Thailand' and planned to get all complicated by vetting tourists, quarantines, testing, restrictions, restrictions, and more restrictions - till they realised no one was coming. Then they saw all the loans the government has borrowed to pay for island restorations and saw an economic collapse. So they opened up. 

Maldives actually would a decent place to vacation - isolated private villas. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 2:59 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Anyone have accurate info on Germany?

If you are neither an EU national nor a citizen of a select few non-EU countries in Europe, you currently cannot enter Germany unless you have a valid reason (tourism explicitly excluded). The IATA information is correct.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

If you are neither an EU national nor a citizen of a select few non-EU countries in Europe, you currently cannot enter Germany unless you have a valid reason (tourism explicitly excluded). The IATA information is correct.

1. I am a Brit and we are allowed into Germany, but I am not sure how they would react to the Thai visa stamps in my passport?

2. Is there still 14 days quarantine within the EU or just the UK?

There is conflicting info around. Anyone know?

53 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

1. I am a Brit and we are allowed into Germany, but I am not sure how they would react to the Thai visa stamps in my passport?

2. Is there still 14 days quarantine within the EU or just the UK?

There is conflicting info around. Anyone know?

If you travel from Thailand to Germany, you will need to quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days.

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If you travel from Thailand to Germany, you will need to quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days.

Far as I can tell from the conflicting info. Travel from anywhere outside the EU is not allowed (except from the UK).

Thailand to Germany not allowed.

I was thinking Thailand to UK and then to Germany....?

Edited by DaRoadrunner