Education visa

The search function gave very little; surprised as I’d thought this would be a hot topic?

My question is about changing from my current retirement visa / extension of stay that will expire in January 2021.

The requirement of keeping 800,000 / 400,000 in a Thai bank is getting less possible for me.  I would like to be allowed to spend this money in Thailand.  

So my hope is to change to an ED visa in January, and study Thai language in a school.

Is this possible?

You don't need to study anything, ed visa are legalised bribes between agents and IOs. Why don't you do your retirement visa through agent? I guess you won't need to prove any deposit. The mechanism is the same.

Edit: if you ever decide to do an ED visa make sure your school will process the extensions at the immigration personally. You don't want to be left alone in front of an IO with an ed visa.

Edited by Sundown

The first thing you will have to after enrolling in a school and getting the required document you would have to apply for a single entry non-ed visa. Then you would apply for a 90 day extensions at immigration until you have reached a total stay of one year from that includes the 90 days from the non-ed visa.

After the year you have get another non-ed visa.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 11:59 AM, ubonjoe said:

The first thing you will have to after enrolling in a school and getting the required document you would have to apply for a single entry non-ed visa. Then you would apply for a 90 day extensions at immigration until you have reached a total stay of one year from that includes the 90 days from the non-ed visa.

Does this require a trip out of Thailand at some point?

In my experience an ED Visa seems to be an alternativ but you have to consider a few things about it. It depends on the Immigration office but the IO can test your level of learning Thai every 3 Month when you are at Immigration Office. And if you fail the test or the IO isn't happy with your thai skills they will not give you another 3 Month. And before you get another 90days they will give you first a 14 day stamp. In this 14day period of time they will check your documents and may show up at your school to check if you really there or that you signed in regularly. After the 14 day period you have to go again to the IO and get the rest of the 90days.

After one year you have to leave the country and get a new ED Visa at the embassy. It became very difficult to get a new one for many people because they will test you there too. And if you fail you don't get a new one. It can be very stressful to be on an ED Visa. Sure it depends on the IO and where you live because not all Immigration Office are so strict.. Anyway there are always things going around your mind like Will you pass the test at the embassy, or at the IO Office?.. will they give you another 90days? will they let you back in the country? Learning Thai sounds easy with an ED Visa but it's nothing for long staying. You can learn a language max. for 3 years , maybe 2,5 ? I'm not 100% sure.  

Anyway these the things I would to take into perspective when people thinking about to get an ED Visa

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 11:42 AM, Sundown said:

You don't need to study anything, ed visa are legalised bribes between agents and IOs. Why don't you do your retirement visa through agent? I guess you won't need to prove any deposit. The mechanism is the same.

Edit: if you ever decide to do an ED visa make sure your school will process the extensions at the immigration personally. You don't want to be left alone in front of an IO with an ed visa.

I stay on ED visa for almost 2 years now and never had any problems with immigration. And yes I go alone, every 2-3 months. I study Thai and sometimes they would ask simple questions in Thai language, but that's about it. Nothing you couldn't answer if you actually learn what you are supposed to learn. 

Edited by roadrunner21

3 hours ago, thailien8 said:

Does this require a trip out of Thailand at some point?

It would depend upon the school and the course of study you are doing.

For those schools classified as being a formal school it would be possible to apply for a non immigrant visa (category ED) at immigration.

If not you would have to go to a embassy or consulate to apply for a non-ed visa.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bestie said:

In my experience an ED Visa seems to be an alternativ but you have to consider a few things about it. It depends on the Immigration office but the IO can test your level of learning Thai every 3 Month when you are at Immigration Office. And if you fail the test or the IO isn't happy with your thai skills they will not give you another 3 Month. And before you get another 90days they will give you first a 14 day stamp. In this 14day period of time they will check your documents and may show up at your school to check if you really there or that you signed in regularly. After the 14 day period you have to go again to the IO and get the rest of the 90days.

After one year you have to leave the country and get a new ED Visa at the embassy. It became very difficult to get a new one for many people because they will test you there too. And if you fail you don't get a new one. It can be very stressful to be on an ED Visa. Sure it depends on the IO and where you live because not all Immigration Office are so strict.. Anyway there are always things going around your mind like Will you pass the test at the embassy, or at the IO Office?.. will they give you another 90days? will they let you back in the country? Learning Thai sounds easy with an ED Visa but it's nothing for long staying. You can learn a language max. for 3 years , maybe 2,5 ? I'm not 100% sure.  

Anyway these the things I would to take into perspective when people thinking about to get an ED Visa

Everything is pretty accurate, some things I would like to add: 

- the requirements for Thai language were pretty tough, I don't know if my school messed up but I had to be able to write in Thai and be able to speak about all sorts of daily stuff within the first 4 months.

- for Thai language I had to go to the ministry of education to make a test in writing, speaking and listening

- had big problems to get Thai ED visa after staying here a year already. Went to the embassy in my home country in europe, every time they told me they need more papers and after 3 visits I had an interview with the consul. She told me that since I am very young, they wanted to make sure I have financial backup and don't work here illegaly. Probably really depends on the embassy you're going to. Personally I lost a lot of money and missed a flight because of all the hazzle.

- according to what my school told me you can learn English for 12 months, Chinese for I think 9 months, and Thai for 9 months + 6 months. 

I'm currently at the end of my 9 months Thai ED visa that will expire at the end of July. My school told me to be able to apply for the next level I can either do a border bounce, come back with an exempt visa and do the visa in my local immigration office or just visit an embassy outside the country and do it there. Told my school they should prepare the documents for whatever is more safe and right now they are preparing for border bounce and exempt method.

I'm nervous for sure since I've never done a border bounce and read many stories about people getting denied entry after staying here a long time already. Covid on top of that makes it even more complicated.. We will see

Edited by roadrunner21
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, roadrunner21 said:

I'm nervous for sure since I've never done a border bounce and read many stories about people getting denied entry after staying here a long time already. Covid on top of that makes it even more complicated.. We will see

Thank you for adding your experience.

People don't often realize that it can be very difficult and stressful to stay on ED Visa. Beside that it's also not the cheapest option. school fee for one year, study material, get a new Visa, traveling costs, every 3 Month 1900 Baht. I think the school fee for one year is around 30K Baht?

Don't be worry if you only have to make a border bounce. ( If the covid situation will allow it and hopefully no other requirements will take into effect). It's an easy task. You only hop over and come back. Not a big deal.  Don't fly inside Thailand. There are very strict at the airport. And if you get denied they will force you to fly back to your home country. Take the train or bus, or use an visa agency to make the border hop. Make only sure that you have money with you to show when you come back into thailand. For tourists it was 20k Baht to show.? I think for a border bounce it was 10k Baht. ? They can ask for it. 

Wish you all the best. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It would depend upon the school and the course of study you are doing.

For those schools classified as being a formal school it would be possible to apply for a non immigrant visa (category ED) at immigration.

If now you would have to go to a embassy or consulate to apply for a non-ed visa.

Joe thanks for your prompt reply.  Two more questions please:

1. Is there a list of formal schools in Pattaya for studying Thai, or should I just go to some and ask?

2. Is there a typo in your last sentence: “If now” should be “If not” ?

7 minutes ago, thailien8 said:

1. Is there a list of formal schools in Pattaya for studying Thai, or should I just go to some and ask?

2. Is there a typo in your last sentence: “If now” should be “If not” ?

1. I am not aware of any list.

Some can arrange things to get the visa at immigration for an additional fee.

2. Yes It is fixed now.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:59 AM, ubonjoe said:

Do you think after being granted a one year Ed visa it is impossible to get a second year Ed visa now?

3 hours ago, roadrunner21 said:

I stay on ED visa for almost 2 years now and never had any problems with immigration. And yes I go alone, every 2-3 months. I study Thai and sometimes they would ask simple questions in Thai language, but that's about it. Nothing you couldn't answer if you actually learn what you are supposed to learn. 

The point is: are you actually studying Thai or you study Thai in order to get the visa? Here you say you had no problems but in the following post you say that you had problems with the consul and lost a flight for that.

I have no doubt that who is on ED genuinely (university or similar) will have no issues at all. When you enroll with a language school things are different and IOs are different.

There are schools WELL CONNECTED with immigration offices, I just say go with those (pay more but they process all personally at immigration and you never have to deal directly with an IO).

OP was on retirement visa multiple times and now wants an ED, do you think IOs are going to buy this?

Edited by Sundown

52 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Do you think after being granted a one year Ed visa it is impossible to get a second year Ed visa now?

A non-ed visa only allows one 90 day entry. Then you can apply for extensions of stay at immigration.

How long you can study depends upon your course of study.

If attending a University you could stay until your studies end.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A non-ed visa only allows one 90 day entry. Then you can apply for extensions of stay at immigration.

How long you can study depends upon your course of study.

If attending a University you could stay until your studies end.

Thanks. I heard in Chiang Mai they have the self-defence ED Visa, that is not a traditional curriculum. There are conflicting reports on whether they are able to renew for a second year of ED Visa.

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Thanks. I heard in Chiang Mai they have the self-defence ED Visa, that is not a traditional curriculum. There are conflicting reports on whether they are able to renew for a second year of ED Visa.

I cannot help with that. I know very little about it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Contact the school and ask them 

11 minutes ago, Logosone said:

There has been reports of people even being refused the first self defense ED visa , if they had been in Thailand for a long time before the application (at the Embassy) , as the Embassy thought that the applicant was just applying for the visa in order to stay in Thailand

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Contact the school and ask them 

I did, they claimed it is possible of course, as they want the client, who pays a good sum.

However, online reports of not getting the second year, after getting the first year, abound.

Then again some people said they got it. So it most likely depends who you get at immigration.

18 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I did, they claimed it is possible of course, as they want the client, who pays a good sum.

However, online reports of not getting the second year, after getting the first year, abound.

Then again some people said they got it. So it most likely depends who you get at immigration.

I do believe that you have to go abroad to get the second visa and the Embassy may refuse you a visa if they feel you are just using the visa to stay long term in Thailand .

So, it would be at the discretion of the Embassy, rather than the School

• Like 1

Quick question regarding ED Visas.  I currently have a 6 month multi-entry tourist visa.  It expired AFTER the July 31 extension was announced, so I'm now covered through July 31st.

I'm looking to take classes and switch over to an ED Visa.  I've read that you can switch in country (without leaving Thailand) providing you still have 30 days left on your tourist visa.

Does anyone know, or has anyone tried, to do the switch recently, while here legally under the July 31st extension?

Thanks!

17 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I do believe that you have to go abroad to get the second visa and the Embassy may refuse you a visa if they feel you are just using the visa to stay long term in Thailand .

So, it would be at the discretion of the Embassy, rather than the School

That makes a lot of sense, I understand people had to leave Thailand to apply for the first year of this martial arts ED visa, so I suspect it would be the same if a second year is granted.

However, the latest intel I heard that a student could not apply for his second year because the school would not assist as they felt there was no point since they had so many refusals.

Edited by Logosone

16 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Quick question regarding ED Visas.  I currently have a 6 month multi-entry tourist visa.  It expired AFTER the July 31 extension was announced, so I'm now covered through July 31st.

I'm looking to take classes and switch over to an ED Visa.  I've read that you can switch in country (without leaving Thailand) providing you still have 30 days left on your tourist visa.

Does anyone know, or has anyone tried, to do the switch recently, while here legally under the July 31st extension?

Thanks!

I know things have changed now, however, I know that for the Chiang Mai martial arts visa in about November 2019 you had to leave the country to apply. And not every Thai embassy was viewed as favourable, some that were previously like the one in Ho Chi Min City changed their policy and refusals started to come from there.