Great Wall to start SUV, pickup production in Thailand next year amid weak demand

webfact

Great Wall to start SUV, pickup production in Thailand next year amid weak demand

By Chayut Setboonsarng

2020-06-19T054638Z_1_LYNXMPEG5I0H3_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-BULGARIA-CARS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People look at a line of Great Wall cars parked in front of the newly opened car factory of Great Wall Motor Co near the town of Lovech, some 150 km (93 miles) north-east of Sofia February 21, 2012. CREUTERS/Stoyan Nenov

BANGKOK (Reuters) - China’s top pickup truck maker, Great Wall Motor Co Ltd <601633.SS>, plans to roll out sport-utility vehicles (SUV) and pickup trucks from its recently acquired plants in Thailand early next year, an executive said on Friday.

“Even though now the market is not good, it's a temporary problem,” Great Wall Motor Vice President Steven Wang, told Reuters in an interview.

The novel coronavirus pandemic has dampened demand for autos, with sales in Thailand down 54.12% in May from a year earlier to 40,418 vehicles.

Great Wall took over two General Motors <GM.N> plants in Thailand in February and will produce SUVs and pickup trucks in 2021.

“This project is a long-term plan, Thailand will be our production hub for ASEAN, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa,” he said, because Thailand had a mature auto parts network.

The Thai government has eased many virus-related restrictions but worries of a second wave has limited international travel.

“We want to finish modifying the assembly line at the beginning of next year and if everything goes smoothly, first production will be ready early next year,” said Wang, who oversees marketing in Thailand and Southeast Asia.

The company will launch two to three models first and focus on building the brand and customer service to gain “reasonable market share” he said, adding they would not focus on volume in the first few years.

Great Wall, however, will face stiff competition from incumbent Japanese auto makers including Nissan <7201.T> and Isuzu <7202.T> who have longed supplied SUVs and pickups in Thailand.

“For us, our advantage to provide is new technology, new design,” he said, adding that younger buyers may prefer their technology offerings.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-19

Will they be the same as in the UK and in Australia.  I for one would like a full size pickup over here like my Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 in the States, but then I could never find a parking spot....Image result for ford f250 crew cab 4x4 pictures

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Will they be the same as in the UK and in Australia.  I for one would like a full size pickup over here like my Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 in the States, but then I could never find a parking spot....Image result for ford f250 crew cab 4x4 pictures

Would love to get a full size pick up with a full size engine here. There is no parking space anyhow, so it doesn't matter. Only toy cars available here.

• Sad 2

Good some optimistic chineese take over, when the big compagnies leaves Thailand. in this case GM is leaving.

Another one is indian Tata who are making cheap simple cars, they are also leaving their procuction facilities in Thailand.

This is just what is happening actual, big international wellknown brands are leaving their production facilities in Thailand and in is comming the chineese with their unknown brands based on copy production. Is this a general inclination in Thailand ?

To Thailand it is important to keep/get jobs to the thais, that I understand, but are Thailand selling its soul to China ?

Edited by finnsk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Practically giving these away in OZ. Terrible reviews.

Even Americans in USA won't buy any vehicle from GM, they say they've got so bad in recent years.

China now own them and are trying to flog them off in S.E Asia built by Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, finnsk said:

Good some optimistic chineese take over, when the big compagnies leaves Thailand. in this case GM is leaving.

Another one is indian Tata who are making cheap simple cars, they are also leaving their procuction facilities in Thailand.

This is just what is happening actual, big international wellknown brands are leaving their production facilities in Thailand and in is comming the chineese with their unknown brands based on copy production. Is this a general inclination in Thailand ?

To Thailand it is important to keep/get jobs to the thais, that I understand, but are Thailand selling its soul to China ?

"Thailand" hasn't sold anything to China in this context, General Motors has.

"...and in is comming the chineese with their unknown brands based on copy production".

Huh?  GWM is not an unknown brand and it doesn't have "copy production" any more than any other motor manufacturer's models are copies of other brands' vehicles.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Even Americans in USA won't buy any vehicle from GM, they say they've got so bad in recent years.

China now own them and are trying to flog them off in S.E Asia built by Thailand.

China does not own GM and last year Americans bought more GM vehicles than Ford vehicles so they can't be that bad!

1 hour ago, Justgrazing said:

.. they are absolute rubbish .. snatchy , jerky drivetrain .. turning circle is even worse than comparable pickups

Absolute rubbish?  Where did you drive the one that you tested?  And a big turning circle, wow, that's a real deal-killer!

Which other manufacturers' pickups, at the same price level that are so much better, are you comparing GWM pickups with so unfavourably?

Their first time in Australia was something of a disaster for GW.  When they came back they claimed there had been a lot of improvements to their vehicles but the damage was done and I don't think they are doing well again. Plus they have SAIC in the Aussie market...and LDV.  The delivery girl from Couriers Please bought an LDV van but more often than not she was driving an LDV loaner.  The standing joke between her and me was "Hey Sally, what month are you getting your van back?" to which the standard reply was "Don't you mean what year!"

Cheaper labour in China....yep, but lower manufacturing costs on parts can also mean lower quality of steel, paint, etc.

"Caveat emptor "  Which is Buyer beware in Latin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

China does not own GM and last year Americans bought more GM vehicles than Ford vehicles so they can't be that bad!

China owns a 49% stake in GM motors... 
And saying GM can't be all that bad doesn't prove a thing.
Fords reputation, quality and durability has slumped recently with many issues after sale, people have dropped Ford in favour of GM, but they now face the same issues as GM quality is also struggling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

China as in the Chinese Government own 49% of GM ?

SAIC General Motors Sales Co., Ltd. is a joint venture between GM China and SAIC that was established on November 25, 2011. GM China has a 49 percent stake and SAIC a 51 percent stake

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

SAIC General Motors Sales Co., Ltd. is a joint venture between GM China and SAIC that was established on November 25, 2011. GM China has a 49 percent stake and SAIC a 51 percent stake

Yeah SAIC owning 51% of GM China is not China owning 49% of GM per your previous claim.

And yes, I know SAIC is state owned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suua said:

I would never buy anything from the murdering CCP....Ever!

Anyone that does, deserves getting the piece of <deleted> they will be buying.

After what the totalitarian, authoritarian, repulsive, kunt dictators have just inflicted on the world, I can't believe anyone would buy <deleted> from them ever again.

Cool story Hansel.

Nothing you own has Chinese origins ?

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Would love to put one of these F150 body kit's on a Ranger, slotting some muscle into the engine bay is a bit more difficult be can be done !!

tnt-ranger.jpg