Holiday to Europe

Sujo

When things open up i want to take my gf to europe for a holiday. 10 to 14 days not including travel there.

I have travelled there before. A 2 week driving holiday through england, wales, scotland then a a week of the same in ireland. 

I also had 4 months in italy, france, switzerland, spain, portugal, greece.

All this was in 1990. I was alone and loved it. But times and places change. Also this time with a gf so must take that into consideration.

She is malaysian muslim, drinks, eats pork, very open. She is an explorer loving hikes and mountains etc.

So im wanting to do europe again with her. But something a bit different. Have thought of things like trans siberian from vladivostok to moscow and that sort of thing but stuck on a train im not sure.

Maybe croatia? Or hire a car and just go wherever we fancy from like north to south and vice versa. Or maybe even scandanavia. Or if anyone knows a knockout place to spend more time. A nice driving holiday?

I dont want a tour bus.

Of course im not staying 5 star, just comfortable.

So question is. The driving tour of UK like before. Or a base somewhere else in europe. Anything you have done with your better half that you really enjoyed to share?

2 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Go to Norway ????   Terribly expensive but if you do your own traveling and stay in B&B its not to bad ... If you like the outdoor that is ... Look on YouTube.

Excellent, i have friends who have been there and said it was a great place, but i had forgotten. Thank you.

2 hours ago, saakura said:

"She is malaysian muslim, drinks, eats pork, very open."

What is the relevance of broadcasting this on an anonymous forum? Does she also smoke and swing?

Any recommendations?

Is she wearing a burka or niqab? 
I understand that she might encounter some racism in some areas, but rather for appearance than for religion.

Europe has so much to offer. From beautiful cities to breath taking landscapes. What do you prefer?

It might be autumn when Europe open its borders for Asian tourists. Do you like the cold season?

9 hours ago, CLS said:

Is she wearing a burka or niqab? 
I understand that she might encounter some racism in some areas, but rather for appearance than for religion.

Europe has so much to offer. From beautiful cities to breath taking landscapes. What do you prefer?

It might be autumn when Europe open its borders for Asian tourists. Do you like the cold season?

No she doesnt wear them, so not expecting anything bad unless in a muslim country.

I dont mind the cold but prefer not winter. Would rather landscapes over cities. Dont mind getting off the beaten track a bit. Now you have me thinking of something like bavaria.

if you want to see a lot, renting a car will give you more freedom. Where to go? Also the time of year will make a big difference. Both weather wise, and (COVID not withstanding), the numbers of tourists. 

France, Spain, Italy, Portugal. Have a look at Galicia, North west Spain. A lot greener than other parts, but wetter. You could combine Picos de Europa with the Pyrenees.

Corsica has lots of wild mountainous country, and hiking routes. Some such as the GR20 are world famous, and really hardcore.

A beautiful island, but busy in  the summer months July and August.

I spent a week in Calvi, and did some sightseeing around there, then spent a week driving around the island staying in different places Piana, Bonifacio, Porto Vecchio, but the mountains and villages are wld and  beautiful.

Edited by phetphet
Typos and adding information.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sujo said:

The relevance is for a holiday. She is muslim but in name only ..  with anti muslim idiots in certain countries who may harrass her.

its a holiday without drama of entering a country and racism.

its not that hard to understand unless you never suffer from it. You wouldnt recommend an israeli to palestine so it needs to be mentioned. Im a western white man, so most places ok for me. That goes without saying.

Obviously goes without saying from a perspective of bigotry. Here's an idea, ask her where she wants to go and take her there without any preconceived notions. Perhaps you might like it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sujo said:

The relevance is for a holiday. She is muslim but in name only so she doesnt want to holiday in the middle east where they are hard core and cause issies for her. Also with anti muslim idiots in certain countries who may harrass her.

But the thread is about holiday in Europe not the middle east

If she wants to see a cross section of Europe, perhaps a driving holiday, start in France, then through to Germany, south to Switzerland, through the mountains and down into northern Italy and home.  Take min., 14 days over it. This is the first trip that I did  with my Thai wife 20 odd years ago and she loved it.  She still talks about that holiday now, as it made such an impression.  I would suggest not too exotic, like the train ride idea, and make sure you include high mountains and snow, lots of both. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

This is the first trip that I did  with my Thai wife 20 odd years ago and she loved it.  She still talks about that holiday now, as it made such an impression. 

Well of course she would love it, as it's about a zillion times better than Thailand. Does she ever ask you why you ended up here when you had all that on your doorstep?

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Well of course she would love it, as it's about a zillion times better than Thailand. Does she ever ask you why you ended up here when you had all that on your doorstep?

No, never.  We 'did Europe and North America', when we lived in the UK, and now we 'do Asia and Pacific'.  She is very happy to be back where her family live, and I am happy if she is happy. The Covid hysteria in the UK has just confirmed to us that we are in precisely the right place. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The Covid hysteria in the UK has just confirmed to us that we are in precisely the right place. 

Are you even serious?? That is an absolutely laughable way to try to justify moving here. Some of things going on under this gov during Covid are an absolute disgrace. Have you chosen just to ignore all of that?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Are you even serious?? That is an absolutely laughable way to try to justify moving here. Some of things going on under this gov during Covid are an absolute disgrace. Have you chosen just to ignore all of that?

what?  I don't justify my move here in that way. Thailand has acted appropriately and it shows in the results.  Anyway, that is off topic.  

16 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Go to Norway ????   Terribly expensive but if you do your own traveling and stay in B&B its not to bad ... If you like the outdoor that is ... Look on YouTube.

Don't forget Belgium, especially the Flanders....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sujo said:

Excellent, i have friends who have been there and said it was a great place, but i had forgotten. Thank you.

If you want to spend a lot of money for nothing, go to Norway,especially Oslo. 

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

you know nothing about me, so don't guess. 

I think it was an observation rather than a guess.

No one on here knows anything about anyone, so if we used that as a yardstick there would hardly ever be any posts on here, since most are addressing other posters posts?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

We dont live in thailand. Stop trolling.

9 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

There you go again, saying something as if it's a fact. I think many would disagree with you, but as you say that's off topic.

Can you please troll other topics. Pilotman has provided advice i requested. all you have done is be a pain in the ...

• Like 1

I have now chosen to ignore YOU. 

I know the places Pilotman is speaking about, and I understand that for a Thai person it's unforgetable ; why to end in Thailand ? Because of exotism and tropical weather , landscape and life ; as for me, I find here what I don't have in my European country 

• Like 1

Ok thank you to all who have offered advice, it is very much appreciated and will look into it.

There is always an inconsiderate idiot that tries to derail things. So I ask that the mods now close this thread.

Thank you for your suggestions those that participated in good faith.

16 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Obviously goes without saying from a perspective of bigotry. Here's an idea, ask her where she wants to go and take her there without any preconceived notions. Perhaps you might like it?

Most sensible reply on the thread and OP ignores it.  Not surprising given the number of times he uses "I" when it's ostensibly a trip to Europe for "them."