Visa run

It is probably to early to know the answer but:

I am on Non O 1 year multiple (based on Thai Child). My visa will expired in November 2020.

I was due leave Thailand (90 days) end of May but due to situation, it was not possible and as per my understanding, I am fine until End of July (I hope I am correct!).

As per the recent news, assuming the international borders will re-open anytime soon but with restrictions (bubbles, business visa / work permit...), I am wondering if the border re-open, I will be able (and requested) to go out of Thailand but will I be able to return?

• Like 1

I think you will neither be able to enter a neighboring country by land (as a tourist) nor return to Thailand anytime soon. Prepare for the scenario that the "visa amnesty" will expire before visa runs will be possible again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You can stay until July 31st under the amnesty. If the borders are not open then it may be extended.

If not extended you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child on or before July 31st.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I hear Cambodia is welcoming tourists (Mugs) with open arms and open wallets now $3000 to be precise...

I am targetting Myanmar as I worked there for the last 7 years and was supposed to go back but was stopped due to the situation. As far as I know, borders are still closed in Myanmar at this time

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can stay until July 31st under the amnesty. If the borders are not open then it may be extended.

If not extended you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child on or before July 31st.

Thanks. That's what I thought. So nothing much I can do until the situation is clear

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's got to be a worry for many border runners, i haven't read anything yet to say that's possible. The bigger worry is being trapped outside Thailand after a border run

Yes. The reason I have been with a multi entries visa instead of extension is because I worked in neighbors countries. So it was easier, faster and more convenient for me to get 1 year multiple entries visa instead of applying for extension. Also, i was not doing "visa run" as I was spending more time outside Thailand. 

Now with this new situation, I will have to consider extension (the 60 days first) but probably the 1 year extension at the end of my current visa. Also now, "standard" visa run such crossing to Myanmar, Laos or Cambodia sounds compromized in the future due to the travel restrictions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jphasia said:

I am targetting Myanmar as I worked there for the last 7 years and was supposed to go back but was stopped due to the situation. As far as I know, borders are still closed in Myanmar at this time

Myanmar just recorded a whole lot of new Covid cases. I doubt they will open anytime soon.