A touchless elevator button to prevent infections

rooster59

A touchless elevator button to prevent infections

By The Nation

800_3c38e00d9bf66bb.jpg

National Security and Dual-Use Technology Centre (NSD) has developed "MagikTuch", a touchless elevator button to protect people from contagious diseases.

elev.jpg

Dr Siwaruk Siwamogsatham, NSD director

NSD director Dr Siwaruk Siwamogsatham, said that many diseases can be transmitted through secretions on various objects, such as door knob and elevator button.

"Therefore, avoiding touching risky spots can help reduce risk of infection and contain the spread of diseases," he said.

"Elevator is a transportation system used by many organisations, such as authorities, hotels, department stores, hospitals, and companies."

He explained that people can use MagikTuch by holding their hand over the floor button at a distance of 2-3 centimetres.

"The sensor will detect your hand and order the elevator automatically," he said.

"This device is easy to install because it can be installed in the lift directly, while it was designed to support both alternating current and direct current power systems."

He added that NSD is currently installing MagikTuch in Siriraj Hospital and Impact Exhibition Centre to gain the confidence of people using the elevator.

"The touchless elevator button is one of our innovations for dealing with Covid-19 in order to be in line with new normal trends," he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/edandtech/30389992

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-21

37 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

I've always wondered why the vast majority of doors to toilets open in. I'd rather use the handle when entering than when leaving.

IKEA has a simpler, cheaper solution to elevator buttons:

IKEA.thumb.jpg.3e23e7a0a3075a8d4cd1cf99f6e278e6.jpg

Perhaps if they opened out, there would be the chance of the door 'blowing' open if someone in one of the cubicles farted?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He explained that people can use MagikTuch by holding their hand over the floor button at a distance of 2-3 centimetres

Bit like a hand dryer then that have been around for years .. and are they be sure about calling it Magiktuch .? It doesn't make sense and is a b*stardisation of the English making his bit of kit sound more like a faith-healer .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justgrazing said:

Bit like a hand dryer then that have been around for years .. and are they be sure about calling it Magiktuch .? It doesn't make sense and is a b*stardisation of the English making his bit of kit sound more like a faith-healer .. 

We have a movement sensor as an exit button for our building. No need to touch just place your hand near it. 

99% of people press it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petedk said:

We have a movement sensor as an exit button for our building. No need to touch just place your hand near it. 

99% of people press it!

Naturally. The harder you press it, the faster the door opens.

• Haha 2

Unless a surface is wet from a sneeze / cough that is a very remote risk. Tens of times more risk from the people also in elevator. CDC and other sources say that transmission of this virus requires face to face exposures in a normal conversation of about 15 minutes. So a passing exposure from an infected person unlikely to transmit.

Touchless buttons on lifts, touchless handrails on escalators, touchless shopping trollies, touchless car door handles, touchless movie ticket vending machines, touchless mates and the list goes on and on. Lots of opportunities for milking cash.

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Here is my device to press any button, not only elevator!

Off to the patent office now.

pencil.jpg.ff8ad427680e70e76d83caf324df8e8b.jpg

I use a chopstick for non contact operation  of lift buttons Etc

And as the device shown above, they can be easily stored behind your Eat.

Shouldn't it be called MagikNoTuch?  

However in the photo it looks like they are touching it.

Anyway just carry some sanitizer or wipes with you if worried about it.  My wife makes me use them at ATM's and such. 

8 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I've always wondered why the vast majority of doors to toilets open in. I'd rather use the handle when entering than when leaving.

IKEA has a simpler, cheaper solution to elevator buttons:

IKEA.thumb.jpg.3e23e7a0a3075a8d4cd1cf99f6e278e6.jpg

People could think it is a toilet...