Government Health Cover

Farangdanny

I married a Thai national in the early 1980s.

Because she was a nurse at a government hospital in Chiang Mai, I qualified for total healthcare including meds. 

About seven or eight years ago she retired and that would have ended my coverage if our eldest daughter, who is a C-7 civil servant at a government ministry in Bangkok, didn't transfer me to her health plan.

The transition was seamless and I continue to enjoy a satisfactory level of healthcare at Maharat [Suan Dawk] Hospital

Good luck to you.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:51 AM, thequietman said:

I would imagine so, yes. When she got married isn't relevant. The policy covers the husband.

I think. ????

it is my understanding that upon enlisting one has to be less than 60 years old to be accepted.

2 hours ago, KKr said:

it is my understanding that upon enlisting one has to be less than 60 years old to be accepted.

That's Thai Social Security. 

The insurance for government civil servants does not have an age limit for their parents or spouses.

Terry

On 6/22/2020 at 2:01 PM, DeaconJohn said:

I married a Thai national in the early 1980s.

Because she was a nurse at a government hospital in Chiang Mai, I qualified for total healthcare including meds. 

About seven or eight years ago she retired and that would have ended my coverage if our eldest daughter, who is a C-7 civil servant at a government ministry in Bangkok, didn't transfer me to her health plan.

The transition was seamless and I continue to enjoy a satisfactory level of healthcare at Maharat [Suan Dawk] Hospital

Good luck to you.

My wife, formerly a nurse in a government hospital retired several years ago yet her her parents and myself are still fully covered, a parent in ICU and I've had an MRT scan, no problems.

9 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

My stepson is a teacher with the government. My wife gets free health coverage with his policy. A friend told me I should get it too but I know nothing because I am farung.

I think it's you who doesn't have a clue. Other farangs obviously know. 

1 hour ago, cme said:

My wife, formerly a nurse in a government hospital retired several years ago yet her her parents and myself are still fully covered, a parent in ICU and I've had an MRT scan, no problems.

Outcomes for farangs vis-a-vis the Thai bureaucracy aren't always consistent.

I let my wife and two grown daughters deal with officials whenever and wherever possible.

When my wife retired they told me my coverage was ending, but that I could continue under my elder daughter's government health plan.

I just did what I was advised to do at the time.

No complaints then - or ever since - with healthcare in general here.

23 hours ago, TerryLH said:

That's Thai Social Security. 

The insurance for government civil servants does not have an age limit for their parents or spouses.

Terry

I'll check, but I was not accepted on my wife's insurance. 
She has been in government service for over 25 years,
but possibly "just" on labor contract, not on civil servant status.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:35 PM, KKr said:

Sorry mate but you are wrong, i was 62 when i married my wife, and i am covered on her insurance.

My wife is a school director.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:14 PM, cme said:

Does she have paperwork saying you are covered. A friend said I could get coverage but my stepson would need to enrol me. My wife says I am not covered.

7 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Does she have paperwork saying you are covered. A friend said I could get coverage but my stepson would need to enrol me. My wife says I am not covered.

Your step son would need to go to the area education office and ask, do not accept what your wife says, get it checked out.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Your step son would need to go to the area education office and ask, do not accept what your wife says, get it checked out.

Do you have a Thai wife? Not accepting what she says sounds dangerous but thanks.????