Best Cheap New Car 500-750k

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Test drives do seem to be somewhat of a foreign concept here. Like you I would have no interest in adding my name to a waiting list either so the Mazda 2 seems a good choice. I don't know of the latest model but I've driven previous ones and they are fun to drive and easy to see out of. My only gripe was the key start ignition with a fob that became temperamental over time. Enjoy your new ride!

The fob has a manual key inside that can be used to open and start the car. It's temperamental when the lithium battery runs down, needs to be changed every two years. 200 baht at a Mazda dealership.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

The new Almera is really nice looking but it is more to mid sized and that would depend on how good your girlfriend drives. Honda are great cars as I have a year old Civic RS, but then again that is too large for your needs. I plan on buying my son a Mazda 2. Just bought the daughter one and she likes it a lot.

If you are considering the mazda 2 petrol you should also consider the suzuki swift - similar price ans the data on both cars is quite similar. We have the earlier swift 1.2 and its been pretty good. The few issues we have had have not cost much to repair. 

Check out this website. They review most cars there and provide data on accelaration, fuel economy, noise levels, etc. Once you narrow down the list, they try some test drives. https://www.autoinfo.co.th/datron/

• Like 1

Just now, DavisH said:

If you are considering the mazda 2 petrol you should also consider the suzuki swift - similar price ans the data on both cars is quite similar. We have the earlier swift 1.2 and its been pretty good. The few issues we have had have not cost much to repair. 

Check out this website. They review most cars there and provide data on accelaration, fuel economy, noise levels, etc. Once you narrow down the list, they try some test drives. https://www.autoinfo.co.th/datron/

Ok. But the Swift has a tag price a bit more expensive. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The fob has a manual key inside that can be used to open and start the car. It's temperamental when the lithium battery runs down, needs to be changed every two years. 200 baht at a Mazda dealership.

That's useful to know. I wouldn't have expected a hidden key or for that plastic nob at the ignition to be removable. My friend who owned the car didn't know it either. She recently traded her Mazda 2 for a CX-3 so I'm looking forward to seeing how that handles next time.

On 6/21/2020 at 3:26 AM, Sheryl said:

I'm planning to buy soon and have settled on Honda Jazz. Would have opted for City as first choice but none available with manual transmission which is what I want.

I drove a manual transmission in Bangkok for eight years.  I was so glad to switch and get an automatic.  

19 hours ago, peterpop said:

Suzuki is fun but reports are that it is less reliable and somewhat expensive for spares but I cannot confirm these rumours

My experience is the total opposite, as my little Suzuki Swift has been nothing but 100% reliable in the almost 8 years that I've had it. Ooops, a little porky there because the air conditioning heat exchanger sprung a leak, so they replaced it completely, along with all of the associated fittings, and the total cost (out of warranty) was about 2500 baht, which I thought was very good.

It also came with a five year paint and body work warranty, which surprised me, but also delighted me at the same time, and about three years ago Suzuki decided to do a recall because some of the rubber "boots" which covered the rack and pinion steering assembly had a split in them – – not all cars, but apparently a few.

So I took my Suzuki Swift into the local dealer and they put it up on the ramp and rather than just changing the rubber boot on the steering, they changed the whole rack and pinion steering mechanism, and when I checked the rubber boot, there was no problem with it but it was something they were doing "just in case".

And of course it was free.

For the record I test drove the Nissan March and Almera, the Honda Brio and Jazz, the Toyota Vios, the Mazda 2 and the little Mitsubishi whatever it is called? And really couldn't fault the Swift against all of those cars.

As you can see I am a Suzuki Swift fanatic!!!

1 hour ago, xylophone said:
1 hour ago, xylophone said:

As you can see I am a Suzuki Swift fanatic!!!

The only problem with being a fanatic about a single brand is when it gets left behind by superior engineering and finish.

I tend to focus on value for money and reliability. I don't particularly care what the brand is, as long as it delivers.

As you can see, a Swift is not infallible.

IMG20191210141509.jpg

• Sad 1

I would never buy second hand in Thailand as the way thais drive is not condusive to the long term life of the car, seen it time and time again, even with family members, new is the only way to go. We got as vios new  and drove it for 4 years, very comfortable car to drive, also like the swift, mazda 2 and the new almera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seajae said:

I would never buy second hand in Thailand as the way thais drive is not condusive to the long term life of the car, seen it time and time again, even with family members, new is the only way to go. We got as vios new  and drove it for 4 years, very comfortable car to drive, also like the swift, mazda 2 and the new almera.

You can always buy a secondhand car from a farang. I've a Toyota Vios I bought with 83 K on the odometer from a Brit, it now has 155K and is very reliable. He sold it to buy a new Ford, occasionally wonder if he regrets the decision.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I tend to focus on value for money and reliability

As do I and IMO the Suzuki Swift is both of those and more!!

And as for the pic you posted I would say that has more to do with the driver than the car!!

IMG20191210141509.jpg

Edited by xylophone
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As do I and IMO the Suzuki Swift is both of those and more!!

And as for the pic you posted I would say that has more to do with the driver than the car!!

IMG20191210141509.jpg

The major mystery of that photo is how the Thai female driver managed to get the car into that position, when the speed along that road is at best 30 km/hr, and frequently much less.

Don't fall asleep in your Suzuki, that's what she claimed to have done.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Ok. But the Swift has a tag price a bit more expensive. 

The top spec suzuki is 629K, but the top spec mazda 2 is 690K and their second top is 648K, and third one is 627K. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The major mystery of that photo is how the Thai female driver managed to get the car into that position, when the speed along that road is at best 30 km/hr, and frequently much less.

Don't fall asleep in your Suzuki, that's what she claimed to have done.

Maybe she clipped a kerb or something. I ahve the same colour and model swift. It can be thrown into corners, even on the standard suspension (I did get wider tires though). No idea how she did that, as they stay very planted. It feels similar to my old mini to drive in that repsect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Maybe she clipped a kerb or something. I ahve the same colour and model swift. It can be thrown into corners, even on the standard suspension (I did get wider tires though). No idea how she did that, as they stay very planted. It feels similar to my old mini to drive in that repsect. 

It's in the middle of the road, and there are no kerbs on that road. I can only put it down to spectacularly incompetent driving.

I've seen quite a few accidents on the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai road, more often pickups. Most times, I am left wondering what they did to get into the position they are in.

Most hatchbacks should feel planted, very little overhang.

• Like 1

I think the Mazda are the only ones not totally ugly and cheap looking.

If they had a star in front, it would be possible that it's a Mercedes Benz design.

But of course the interior and finishing is far as good as any German car.

Now the question is why honda and toyota are still making so ugly cheap looking cars ?!

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 11:18 AM, moldresistant said:

It will be my main drive for around Ubon, but I also have a moped for quick jots. Yes that's exactly what I was looking for - can get thru the narrow sois, easy to park and small enough for my gf to handle.

We will be going to a few dealerships this week. I had never thought of buy a Suzuki but that Ciaz is a good deal. Also the Honda Jazz looks pretty handy.

Thanks for the advise everyone! All taken into consideration.

It will be good for her to have a car......  for when she drives around looking for a house

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SePl said:

I think the Mazda are the only ones not totally ugly and cheap looking.

If they had a star in front, it would be possible that it's a Mercedes Benz design.

But of course the interior and finishing is far as good as any German car.

Now the question is why honda and toyota are still making so ugly cheap looking cars ?!

Unless you are buying the very top of the line Merc, it's a marketing myth they are better vehicles. A 200 series Mercedes-Benz is no better than the equivalent capacity Japanese or Korean car.

For example, compare the SLK 200 Benz with a Kia Stinger. The Stinger has 35% more boost pressure on the turbo, and is about 30% cheaper out of the showroom.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unless you are buying the very top of the line Merc, it's a marketing myth they are better vehicles. A 200 series Mercedes-Benz is no better than the equivalent capacity Japanese or Korean car.

In some countries the Merc is the taxi of choice, just like an Altis is here !!

• Haha 1

I am planning to buy a used car around 500k with 50% down payment. As far as financing I have heard mixed stories of doing this as a foreigner with a tourist visa. Some say no problem , just have to search for someone willing to take a chance with you and put 50% down ? Is it still possible to do this? i have talked to a thai gf and she says i can find someone to do it no problem. Anyone car owners out there in non work visa status can share their experience? 

Edited by at15
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2020 at 5:20 AM, Lacessit said:

For example, compare the SLK 200 Benz with a Kia Stinger. The Stinger has 35% more boost pressure on the turbo, and is about 30% cheaper out of the showroom.

But who is insane enough to buy a KIA, yes i repeat, KIA hahahahahahahaahahahaha for the price of a Benz ?

http://www.headlightmag.com/official-price-kia-stinger-2-0-turbo-thai-yontrakit/

so ridiculous...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SePl said:

But who is insane enough to buy a KIA, yes i repeat, KIA hahahahahahahaahahahaha for the price of a Benz ?

http://www.headlightmag.com/official-price-kia-stinger-2-0-turbo-thai-yontrakit/

so ridiculous...

Never seen this KIA stinger. Doesn't look terrible, but it's a clear cheap copy of the Maserati Granturismo. 

1 hour ago, SePl said:

so ridiculous...

Have you actually driven a Kia Stinger? Beautiful car, excellent finish. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I was living in Australia. The price in Thailand is with 100% tariff slapped on, as it is not manufactured here..

If you haven't driven one, you are posting with zero knowledge of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, I am limited by forum rules in describing how fatuous your post is.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Have you actually driven a Kia Stinger? Beautiful car, excellent finish. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I was living in Australia. 

So do many police forces in Aus. and NZ.  Now the V8's are gone.

kia-stinger-wa-police-2.jpg

b881868444z1_20190325122745_000g581fdcb9

Yep. In a heart beat for the V6 but as you say not with 100% tariff. We only get the four banger here though. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1