When will YOU be able to go back to Thailand?

26 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

At the moment around £1000 has been the cheapest

I don't understand the need for private insurance as WP holders are mostly enrolled into the social security fund which gives access to Thai hospitals.

Yup, the same caught working outside of Thailand when the doors closed as many others.  Have wife, kids, life, in Chiang Mai.  I have just sent e-mails to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and the Embassy in DC to see what is needed to register and get in line for a repatriation flight back to Thailand.  Will post response I get from them.  There is nothing in English on the Thai Embassy and Consulate websites about any repatriation flights and how to register.

I'll be on a flight end of the year before Xmas for 6 weeks with Mrs and daughter. Direct flights with BA already booked. Got some quotes for insurance for all three of us. 15 months insurance that covers Covid = £150. Cheap enough. 

25 minutes ago, DDBKK said:

I'll be on a flight end of the year before Xmas for 6 weeks with Mrs and daughter. Direct flights with BA already booked. Got some quotes for insurance for all three of us. 15 months insurance that covers Covid = £150. Cheap enough. 

Looks more like a travel insurance than a health insurance.

Usually covers you only for 3 consecutive months away from home.

To be verified if accepted by Thai authorities.

But till Xmas many things can change and in normal times a travel insurance is good enough.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DDBKK said:

What kind of insurance is this that covers 3 people for 15 months that qualifies in Thailand? Some form of travel insurance... provide a link please. 

I had flights booked with Singapore Airlines for April/ May and October//November.

SA have been good to deal with, full refunds received for April/May booking, and I've had refund on the travel insurance as well. 

I have the option to change the October flights to a later date without additional fees, for now I'm leaving as-is, if I have to transfer to 2021, well that's life. 

I've been fortunate in that I have a contract extension and due to NZs lockdown conditions plus extra work available my savings have been far more than anticipated, my only wish would be an improvement in the exchange rate by the time I go back home.

Meantime, phone and video calls, that's the way it is.

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

When will I go back to Thailand , when they make it convenient for me to do so.

As a tourist I will spend my holiday pennies where I will be most comfortable , if I go away in Jan I think Vietnam will perhaps be a more likely destination than Thailand.

If you are counting your pennies, it would be best to stay put. Thailand isn't looking for cheap charlies.

16 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

If you are counting your pennies, it would be best to stay put. Thailand isn't looking for cheap charlies.

Dang..No cheap charlies....How about Grandpas?   Teeraks?   Dirty Falang??  Luckily I'm Hansum Man....Taxi!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

As I have stated elsewhere on TV, my prediction for unrestricted travel into Thailand without quarantine is 2-3 years away.

Is it now we should say thank god, its really happening? 

47 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

As I have stated elsewhere on TV, my prediction for unrestricted travel into Thailand without quarantine is 2-3 years away.

If you are taking bets I am in.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

You might be correct on this. Except for some high end hotels and resorts, most of those affected are working class people who are not especially valued by the power elite. They can return to the provinces and not cause problems for those in power. That's why the TAT said they wanted high spending tourist (high value), who spend lots of baht. Therefore 4-5 star places might get a boost but not places that cater to working classes and/or backpackers. 

Two or three years seem reasonable but expect big changes.

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

At the moment around £1000 has been the cheapest - that may not seem so expensive but the (deductable) is quite high and its also an expense I had not planned for. At the moment it seems the only insurance available is long term health insurance that includes Covid insurance. Many of the companies only offer such insurance to those living in Thailand for at least 183 days per year.

Travel insurance that includes cover for Covid 19 may be cheaper but its normally only available in the applicant's home country.  At the moment, unsurprisingly such cover does not seem to be available. Most UK insurers specifically exclude Covid and policies have a clause that states that cover is subject to the UK government's travel advice.  For almost all countries that advice is currently against all but essential travel so the clause kicks in.

I continue to look for insurance but not so intensely because the quarantine requirement is a killer for me - the insurance issue just makes it moreso.

Same feeling and situation for me. I have a Thai spouse in a safe neighbouring Asian country but am really not ready to pay excessive amounts of money and jump through insane hoops yet, but I do give myself until end of August, if nothing seems to be changing in my direction, I may have to surrender and bite the bullet. Ughhh. 

1 minute ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Not really interested in returning to Thailand right now.  Mostly due to the whole travel process and being cooped up on a plane for so many hours.  I'll just wait until it's a bit safer.  I'm in no rush.

Some for me. I'm in Thailand and in no hurry to go home. Sending pretty much a day travelling is way too much. When things open up my kids can visit us. They know well always buy the tickets.

As a matter of fact, there are un-reflected "ideas" on whom to let in or not everyday, changing every second.

Actually Thailand does everything possible to hold all foreigner back from Thailand and only bow to diplomatic requests to make some exceptions and let people in.

The reason is very simple: none of these guys has the backbone to make a decision as they are afraifd of being grilled afterwards if anything goes wrong.

My application was rejected of the consulate because of a formality as the stamp in my work permit was missing, despite the receipt that the application was submitted and approved. 

49 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

As a matter of fact, there are un-reflected "ideas" on whom to let in or not everyday, changing every second.

Actually Thailand does everything possible to hold all foreigner back from Thailand and only bow to diplomatic requests to make some exceptions and let people in.

The reason is very simple: none of these guys has the backbone to make a decision as they are afraifd of being grilled afterwards if anything goes wrong.

My application was rejected of the consulate because of a formality as the stamp in my work permit was missing, despite the receipt that the application was submitted and approved. 

And keep in mind Embassy visa or not ...the Suvharnabumi Immigration guy's are the ones who are the boss in Thailand to let you in or not ...

Plenty storys before of that...

19 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Yup, the same caught working outside of Thailand when the doors closed as many others.  Have wife, kids, life, in Chiang Mai.  I have just sent e-mails to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and the Embassy in DC to see what is needed to register and get in line for a repatriation flight back to Thailand.  Will post response I get from them.  There is nothing in English on the Thai Embassy and Consulate websites about any repatriation flights and how to register.

Same here (but I’m in the UK). I’ve e-mailed the Thai Embassy in London to ask what the requirements are and how to go about applying for permission to travel to Thailand and what documents are accepted. 

At the moment I don’t even know if a Scanned Copy of the Marriage certificate is accepted or if the Original is required, or, if the require a Translation (into English?) etc.

Can we apply online (safer considering Covid) or do we have to travel to London and apply in person.

What are the specifics of the other requirements? - Covid-19 Test Results (e-mail acceptable, or is some certificate required?) - Time Frame, within 72 hrs of the flight. 

Insurance Policy: Health Insurance covers Covid-19 (many of them do), what confirmation is required, letter, or something more firm?

Lots of questions - the starting point is the details of what exactly is required and how to apply for approval to travel to Thailand. 

10 hours ago, checkered flag said:
11 hours ago, Kelsall said:

You might be correct on this. Except for some high end hotels and resorts, most of those affected are working class people who are not especially valued by the power elite. They can return to the provinces and not cause problems for those in power. That's why the TAT said they wanted high spending tourist (high value), who spend lots of baht. Therefore 4-5 star places might get a boost but not places that cater to working classes and/or backpackers. 

Two or three years seem reasonable but expect big changes.

If Thailand is still messing around with Quarantine in 6 months time it may trigger many to move. 

The difficulty of returning to Thailand has already planted the seed to move back to the UK full-time. 

For those of us working an overseas rotation the thought of having to quarantine for 2 weeks upon every return is unbearable - we’d be left with no choice but to move. 

Realistically - this issue has led to realise the UK may be the better place anyway now (even with high Covid-19 numbers). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

That is for those married to a Thai. Are you implying you don't don't want them to be able to enter the country?

No, not at all. I am covered by that one as married to a Thai.

The WP rules require no Covid19-free certificate, the Non-O do.

I was not precise enough in my previous statement. Not get rid of as whole, but drop the Covid cert requirement.

Edited by CLS