Sent packing: 14 year stay in Thailand is up for German pensioner on 2,241 day overstay

webfact

4 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

What are you telling me for, I didn't comment about "sponging illegals" in the UK, did I?   But, as you brought it up, it does seem as though you think that some illegal immigrants are less illegal than other illegal immigrants breaking the same laws.  Odd.

"...this German guy was not sponging off the system, he was paying his way..."

You must know this German, how was he "paying his way", as you put it, even though that's not the issue here?

It was well documented here on Thaivisa about a week ago, he is a decent old guy well likes by everyone.

6 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

You must know this German, how was he "paying his way", as you put it, even though that's not the issue here?

Well, since there is no social security La-La-Land in Thailand, especially not for Farangs, it's safe to assume this man was paying his own way.

Or are you suggesting he was a Gigolo living off his Thai lovers?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Nonsense, why does he behave worse than a fugitive, according to reports he was a good citizen, and never committed any crimes, a fugitive is a criminal hiding from the law in another country.

My mistake - mixed it up with immigrants. Can happen if you are not a native English speaker ????

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

To all the posters who go on like pork chops every time a long term overstayer gets located, what's your solution?

Give them special dispensation to stay forever, without meeting current visa conditions? Allow them to stay on the basis they got away with it for a long time and aren't hurting anyone?  Scrap visas altogether to allow anyone on the planet to enter and stay forever? 

Why is Thailand and the IO always the bad guys and not the law breaker? Perhaps some of these long termers hiding out in the remote countryside have good reason to stay away from their home country. You have no way of knowing.

Read the previous post #31

2 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Why not support a 14-year overstayer?  Are you seriously asking that? 

How about because he hasn't bothered to extend his permission to stay for 14 years and we all (presumably) have? 

Edit:  Oops, I mis-read it, a six-year overstayer.   Doesn't change any of my thinking, though, why would anyone support him and give the IB grief?

I'm in interested in playing a game of back and forth on morality or ethics, my main question is WHO found him out or HOW did they find out? Any ideas?

8 hours ago, drbeach said:

yeah like what, 5 flights a day half of which end up being cancelled?

What I'd like to know is, who ratted him out?

Luftwaffe flying out quite frequently. Maybe Roland did it.

24 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Many are working illegally, or are criminals.

People like this German who can't follow simple rules give all foreigners a bad name.

Auf weitersehen!

I think if you consider the fact that many foreigners here are 89 years old and go to the mall with their 18 year old girlfriends, many men with their boyfriends also, if foreigners having a bad name in Thailand is your concern you probably have some other issues to worry about than this deported German man.

Also your spelling is shocking.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Sure. But there are others too who try to survive committing crimes. Often they are not used to care much about laws. They didn't have them in their home countries. Or they didn't care there already. Often they have nothing and so don't have much to lose. 

Sure that happens sometime .. But plenty of people in prison that are 100% 'local' ... I think someone who paid a lot of money to be shipped in a container 1/2 way across the world ... They 'generally' are not the first to commit crime if they make it out of the container alive.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

This guy arrived in Thailand 14 years ago when he was in his forties. Presumably he didn't become eligible for retirement extensions until he attained fifty, in or about 2009. He's not yet reached German retirement age so can't yet be in receipt of their generous pension.

He stopped extending his retirement permits in 2014, long before changes regarding evidence of funds or daily reporting became a big thing. It would be nonsensical to blame those changes for his failures to comply back then. 

Why did he stop extending in 2014? A lack of funds would be most likely.

How (or by whom) has he been supported in his years of overstay?

Either an alcoholic or a monger or duped by his girlfriend is my guess.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Logosone said:
48 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Well, since there is no social security La-La-Land in Thailand, especially not for Farangs, it's safe to assume this man was paying his own way.

Or are you suggesting he was a Gigolo living off his Thai lovers?

I didn't make any suggestions, you seem to have thought it through, though.

4 minutes ago, saakura said:

Either an alcoholic or a monger or duped by his girlfriend is my guess.

You seem to be a perfect Thai, judging by your love for stereotypes and prejudices.

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I did, I found he bears a striking resemblance to Karl Stromberg the villain in The Spy who loved me. 

He's obviously a master criminal. He must have paid his living expenses by stealing submarines from the British then selling them to the Thai Navy.

I think the Thais would have taken the subs with no payment in return. And as sign of gratitude they would have kicked him out of the country.

/rant over

Edited by CLS

29 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I think if you consider the fact that many foreigners here are 89 years old and go to the mall with their 18 year old girlfriends, many men with their boyfriends also, if foreigners having a bad name in Thailand is your concern you probably have some other issues to worry about than this deported German man.

Blame auto correct for spelling.  I am not a homophobe like you and I have never seen a 89 year old geezer with anyone under 40 but as long as they get their visa extension properly and not cause ME issues no worries. Good Riddance German!

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CLS said:

I think the Thais would have taken the subs with no payment in return. And as sign of gratitude they would have kicked him out of the country.

/rant over

You mean like they took his money and then kicked him out of the country?

You old cynic.

18 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Blame auto correct for spelling.  I am not a homophobe like you and I have never seen a 89 year old geezer with anyone under 40 but as long as they get their visa extension properly and not cause ME issues no worries. Good Riddance German!

No, the point I am making is that your concern about the image of Farangs in Thailand is a ship that has sailed long ago. When Thais look at Farangs in Thailand, let's face it, it's not a pretty picture. This hapless, moneyless German will hardly be an issue for the image of Farangs in Thailand, which is dictated by sex tourists, both hetero and homo sexual, some mentally ill, some real criminals and much else besides.

If you're worried about the image of Farangs in Thailand, I think you indeed have a lot to worry about.

Lol.

10 hours ago, JomtienRay said:

Maybe his money tree died and the princess dobbed him in to make way for a new money tree? 

would think this was the case.  new blood (money) for the family.  keep in mind, if he is ousted and has a home...wonder who will be living in paid home....hmmmm..we can all guess how this went down.  Thats a good reason to rent rather than buy.

11 hours ago, VillageIdiot said:

Probably because it's such a bloody hassle if you don't have a lot of money.

Ever since easy visa runs and back-to-back visas have become difficult it's not hard to see why people living under the radar have increased dramatically.

Those who were on the lower rungs of the ladder just barely getting by are now faced with the stark choice of going back to Farangland or becoming illegals.

Or............hold on, I have a crazy thought, give me a minute.....

A person has enough funds to live overseas and not be a deadbeat in another country. Most on the "lower rungs" chose to not work during their productive years, or work very little.  Then whine when countries don't want them to be deadbeats, barely contributing to the country..............

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

Young people have boyfriends and girlfriends , quite natural . 

Love and the future are their concerns .

Old people have paid for careers .

70, 80 year olds trying to find themselves a teenage girlfriend .  

Thats passed you by dude , you should be looking after your teenage grandchildren 

9 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

He must have shopped at Big C Khlong 4 or Tesco Lotus. I've never seen him at Big C khlong 5. ????

Good Luck with your life neighbor. I probably won't be here when/if you come back.

Looking at the front of his house in the photo, the design is identical to my GF's house at Klong 6. 

Edited by bobandyson