Need help with new laptop for student.

Shot

Hello computer experts. 

I need a laptop for my daughters, starting 7th and 8th grade for distance learning. They have been using my 11 year old desktop HP for the past few months, but now they are both on the same schedule, so require 2 computers. I'll deal with who gets the new one later. They are both good students, they are not gamers and understand the workings of a PC

I need Windows 10 REAL, not pirate installed, and I need a budget of 10k or less. I see some good buys at Lazada, but am worried about legal W10 buying from some shop on Soi 15 behind the 7-11. 

I appreciate any help. 

I am in Phuket

OP, if you can extend your budget a little bit, you might want to look at something like this. Gets rid of the genuine W10 problem as well. Specs look very good as well. Link is:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/asus-notebook-vivobook-14-x412fa-ek837t-transparent-silver-by-vteccomputer-i1153100413-s2697076946.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.19.2dd211d6cOU5NS&search=1 

asus.jpg.11f50c7d7129ef0047f2e54c3d132af2.jpg

The above being said, I have noticed recently that Lazada have a lot (and I mean a lot) of older 2nd hand machines going cheap. If you have an understanding of laptops, it may be an option to get one of these, change out HDD for SSD, increase RAM and do a clean install following Stouricks's advice in the above post. Obviously, this can be a bit of a gamble, even if the seller gives a reduced warranty.

If you are planning to stay legit with the OS I assume you will be staying legit with the additional software you will need to install? Unless you are using free open source software (like office suites, pdf software, graphics programs, etc) you should also factor that in as well.

14 hours ago, chrisinth said:

OP, if you can extend your budget a little bit, you might want to look at something like this. Gets rid of the genuine W10 problem as well. Specs look very good as well. Link is:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/asus-notebook-vivobook-14-x412fa-ek837t-transparent-silver-by-vteccomputer-i1153100413-s2697076946.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.19.2dd211d6cOU5NS&search=1 

The above being said, I have noticed recently that Lazada have a lot (and I mean a lot) of older 2nd hand machines going cheap. If you have an understanding of laptops, it may be an option to get one of these, change out HDD for SSD, increase RAM and do a clean install following Stouricks's advice in the above post. Obviously, this can be a bit of a gamble, even if the seller gives a reduced warranty.

If you are planning to stay legit with the OS I assume you will be staying legit with the additional software you will need to install? Unless you are using free open source software (like office suites, pdf software, graphics programs, etc) you should also factor that in as well.

Yes, I can extend the budget a bit, and I had actually come across this same model at Banana IT or PowerBuy for about the same price. I'll assume if I buy from one of those, W10 will come installed from the factory?

Yes on legit software. I have OpenOffice on my PC, and find it very compatible and useful. 

Thanks for the info. 

14 minutes ago, Shot said:

Yes, I can extend the budget a bit, and I had actually come across this same model at Banana IT or PowerBuy for about the same price. I'll assume if I buy from one of those, W10 will come installed from the factory?

Yes on legit software. I have OpenOffice on my PC, and find it very compatible and useful. 

Thanks for the info. 

Yes, it comes with W10 Home 64 bit. Shown at the bottom of the description picture. As long as your kids are OK with OpenOffice, that is the way to go. In fact anything they will need for remote learning you can get open source (freeware). Only a slight learning curve with some of the software from the mainstream paid versions, but kids adapt a lot faster than adults when it comes to this has been my experience.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Yes, it comes with W10 Home 64 bit. Shown at the bottom of the description picture. As long as your kids are OK with OpenOffice, that is the way to go. In fact anything they will need for remote learning you can get open source (freeware). Only a slight learning curve with some of the software from the mainstream paid versions, but kids adapt a lot faster than adults when it comes to this has been my experience.

I use mostly open source software. Try Libre Office as opposed to Open Office. I like it better. 

12 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

You are correct about kids learning faster. So why not try Linux and all open source free software. No key required, and takes less memory/SSD space, and is apparently safer.

Edited by stouricks

28 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I use mostly open source software. Try Libre Office as opposed to Open Office. I like it better. 

I just loaded Libre on my PC, and it looks pretty good, thanks for that. 

• Like 1

Whilst no one wants to gain off the problems corona virus has caused many people, I would imagine there would be some very nice computers in pawn stores all across Thailand at the moment, many of them near new.

You could probably get a decent spec machine, that came with genuine Windows 10, for a good price.  Take it home, do a Windows 10 reset, and it's as good as out of the factory.  Then, do all the windows updates, and it's ready for work.  

Can't hurt to take a look in a pawn shop. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 1:16 PM, chrisinth said:

Relatively old and poor CPU.

It being on par with this low cost laptop: https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/notebooks-laptops/acer/a314-22-a8st-nx-hvwst-003-pure-silver-p051541/

For 13k, expect a better CPU: https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/notebooks-laptops/asus/laptop-15-m509da-ej443t-slate-gray-p050793/

Though both of them are lacking. Relatively poor screens.

Buy a second hand computer which was used in some company before. I didn't go to Pantip for a long time but some time ago they had pallets full of PCs like that. 5 year old business PCs are still good enough for work and you should get them for cheap.

I am sure they are also available online - including at least a few months warranty.

On 6/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, Shot said:

I just loaded Libre on my PC, and it looks pretty good, thanks for that. 

Libre and other programs are fine if you work only for yourself and if you are better than the average user.

But if you exchange data with others it gets more complicated. And if you look for advice it's a lot easier to find that about the programs which everybody uses. 

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Relatively old and poor CPU.

It being on par with this low cost laptop: https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/notebooks-laptops/acer/a314-22-a8st-nx-hvwst-003-pure-silver-p051541/

For 13k, expect a better CPU: https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/notebooks-laptops/asus/laptop-15-m509da-ej443t-slate-gray-p050793/

Though both of them are lacking. Relatively poor screens.

Another two good suggestions for the OP. As was mine, only a suggestion (aiming towards M2 instead of an HDD, after a 30 second search)

In my original post the comment on good specs was more towards reliability than the latest and greatest CPU. IMO, for a child, non-gaming, and for remote learning only, the specs of your 2 suggestions and mine are more than enough. Lets not lose the purpose of the machine.

I have looked at dozens of lap tops, and I have considered all of the recommendations from the kind folks on this thread. Based on that, I have chosen the model that I will buy for both kids. 

Thank you everyone very much.