Windows expiring ?

Joinaman

1 hour ago, spambot said:

To establish if you have a fake license - Follow the instructions in the video and you will find an entry in Quarantined after the scan HackTool:Win64/AutoKMS.

On a Windows update this has caused the issue - Because Windows now forces Windows Defender to recognize this file and place it in quarantine (because Microsoft recognizes that this is being used to validate a version of windows that is not authentic) - When the file is in quarantine it will not do what its been designed to do - That is to perform an update on your windows to registered your windows o/s as valid version - This when it occurs will provide registration valid for 180 days before then needing to be done again.

You need to take the file out of quarantine as shown in the video so that it can activate your windows.

After you have taken the file out of quarantine, then switch off your pc and back on a gain the file will automatically activate your widows without the need to do anything - for 180 days.

Unfortunately the windows virus scanner (called defender) will place it back into quarantine, but you do have the 180 days already before this. You just need to perform this same as shown in the video before the end 180 days each time. However you will still get the message saying that the activation is coming to the end soon (This usually occurs near the end of the period of 180 days).

This is the most simple solution - But more complex alternatives to prevent the file ending up into quarantine each time you switch on would be to disable windows updates - However simply doing this in Windows settings does not prevent Windows doing what it is doing right now and placing the file into quarantine. There is a way of overcoming this, but I guess right now you need something simple and hence follow what has been provided here and look at the more complex issues latter once you can at least fix your short term problem of activation.

There is a way to prevent having to restore the KMS file every 180 days. Once KMS is installed do the following:  Windows Settings>Security>Firewall & Network Protection>Allow an app through firewall>Scroll through the list of apps and then (if it is KMS that you have downloaded and installed ) select Key Management Service. Save this. Once done this prevents your firewall and Windows Defender from quarantining your KMS files.

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

My Thai wife has the same on her comp, not activated but running. DOnt know about updates, never saw it do so.

SHe got problems as not starting after a long time. It turned out that in her bios firmware firmware changed from "legacy"to "UEFI".

ANd then it didnt work anymore. SHe didnt know anything about bios, so never changed her self.

So from who comes the change then? Microsoft? as not being an activated OS?

To make a minor problem, so you go back to shop for legal OS?

When that is changed, it doesnt start and it is very hard to get in the bios to change back again to "legacy".

Time was really short for getting into bios.

Taking out the battery of the laptop improved time to get into bios and change back.

DOnt know about your OS, but it could be the same? You could await this problem?

I wrote it down for her to change herself if she has the problem again and up to now she can and comp still works, not activated.

Seriously, buy a Windows 10 Pro key via eBay for less than 100 baht. Switch it back to UEFI and Secure Boot and run a clean install for her.

Why suffer all of that nonsense for the sake of 100 baht or less?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

There is a way to prevent having to restore the KMS file every 180 days. Once KMS is installed do the following:  Windows Settings>Security>Firewall & Network Protection>Allow an app through firewall>Scroll through the list of apps and then (if it is KMS that you have downloaded and installed ) select Key Management Service. Save this. Once done this prevents your firewall and Windows Defender from quarantining your KMS files.

Or you can just purchase a key for next to nothing and stop the nonsense of having to deal with a hack, for the sake of 100 baht(or less) spent.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:12 AM, Joinaman said:

Thanks 

So they issue you with fake copies when you buy a computer from a large shop here in Thailand ?

What happens if i don't buy, get a number ? 

If you bought the computer in Thailand,just go to the shop and complain. What's the problem? If you still have the receipt and they refuse to help you,just say you'll go to the police. There's no windows- label on the computer with the license number? 

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Yup - That does work, but also depends upon the version of Windows update you have installed - Most updated windows will already have the feature as part of Defender - Because the scan that Defender actually does does not do this when updates are made via the web - It simply scans at a predetermined time and puts the file into quarantine independently from web access or updates. However you correctly point out that some updates do force defender to go back to default and place the file into quarantine hence web access might restrict some events, but not all. There are a number of ways around this such as setting the scan time at once a month at say 4:30 am in the morning and hence less likely to have the PC turned on at this time and therefore less chance the scan will ever occur,  but then on some of the Windows updates this scan time also gets reset back to default. The bottom line is that without constantly having to do the checking - The only foolproof method is  Permanently Disable Windows Defender Real Time Protection on Windows 10. 

However I kind of felt that for the op  - This might be  step too far - But to stop windows defender updating then- Group policy editor is used: To open group policy editor:

Run> Gpedit.msc > OK … Then navigate to - computer configuration / Administrative templates / Windows components / Windows defender antivirus / real time protection - Turn this off

Obviously doing this has impact on future security and must be a personal choice when deciding if this is a  worthwhile trade off for the benefit gained.

image.png.afe9981b43157dfedaafa96e31c692f5.png

Wow--You gotta love the internet. Lots of information and nonsense all in a big pile. If you never had a course in critical thinking you may be in trouble.

Windows 10 can be downloaded from Microsoft for free at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It will yield a clean (reasonably up to date) copy of Windows 10. It will NOT give you a legal license key.

If Windows 10 has ever been legally activated on the computer it (the computer) has a lifetime entitlement to be re-installed and activated.

Please note the word LEGAL in the previous two sentences--keys that are purchased from eBay, Lazada, Craigslist, or anyone other than Microsoft are probably ILLEGAL and you are participating in copyright infringement also sometimes refereed to as theft.

Of course if you purchase a new computer from a reputable company--like directly from the manufacturer--with Windows pre-installed it is probably fine. Although there has been software found on some machines that was "calling home" even on those machines.

The best you can do to be sure that your Windows installation is clean is to use the Media Creation Tool to install on a new hard drive.

Considering that there have been more than 400 security patches to Win-10 in 2020 I don't know why anyone would want to run an unpatched  version.

The real question is why are you using Windows? There are metter choices and you don't have to spend Apple money.

Why not just get a Chromebook/box or load some version of Linux and be legal? Linux, OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and almost all the software you might want is available for FREE!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tengu said:

Wow--You gotta love the internet. Lots of information and nonsense all in a big pile. If you never had a course in critical thinking you may be in trouble.

Windows 10 can be downloaded from Microsoft for free at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It will yield a clean (reasonably up to date) copy of Windows 10. It will NOT give you a legal license key.

If Windows 10 has ever been legally activated on the computer it (the computer) has a lifetime entitlement to be re-installed and activated.

Please note the word LEGAL in the previous two sentences--keys that are purchased from eBay, Lazada, Craigslist, or anyone other than Microsoft are probably ILLEGAL and you are participating in copyright infringement also sometimes refereed to as theft.

Of course if you purchase a new computer from a reputable company--like directly from the manufacturer--with Windows pre-installed it is probably fine. Although there has been software found on some machines that was "calling home" even on those machines.

The best you can do to be sure that your Windows installation is clean is to use the Media Creation Tool to install on a new hard drive.

Considering that there have been more than 400 security patches to Win-10 in 2020 I don't know why anyone would want to run an unpatched  version.

The real question is why are you using Windows? There are metter choices and you don't have to spend Apple money.

Why not just get a Chromebook/box or load some version of Linux and be legal? Linux, OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and almost all the software you might want is available for FREE!

I think this post belongs in the second category. Copyright infringement? Utterly ridiculous.

Buy a ChromeBook to be legal? 

Very poor and misleading advice.

20 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you bought the computer in Thailand,just go to the shop and complain. What's the problem?

Cough. Merely that, since it's in Thailand, the shop will install another illegal activation program. Besides activating, who knows what else it may do? May just lead to the same problem later or much worse.

Not a good idea to go without Windows updates (most of the time). I'd want the theme service, too. I want me Windows activated.

It's unlikely that anything's wrong w/ the Win 10 installation itself. If some virus scans w/ different programs say it's OK, I'd keep it. Might also run SFC (System File Checker). As several have said here, just change the product key to one of the cheap keys available from reputable ebay vendors and elsewhere. Sorted!

On 6/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, luckyluke said:

Pretty sure I got a fake Windows installed, I paid 1000 ThB.

I have now permanently a banner ( On screen right down )  with the mention =

" Activate Windows ".

But I am still able, so far, to work without any problems.

Same with me, and its always in the bottom right. My wife used my laptop and updated it, how I dont know, but even after that the activate windows sign is still there, and its running well so I am ok at the moment.

On 6/26/2020 at 2:05 PM, worgeordie said:

Yes they really do work,I have a couple that have been working,no problems

for a few years now.they would not activate if Microsoft thought the keys were fake. 

regards worgeordie

I asked a friend about this some time ago, when I was buying Windows 10 keys.  His desktop and laptop are activated with the same key.  I saw it for myself, but both computers were running fine and receiving Windows Updates.  

As in the past, how long before Microsoft start putting up a watermark saying "this is not genuine Windows" or whatever they used to say, and cut off the Windows Updates?

Edited by KhunHeineken

5 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Why? Is that just the theory?  

If you buy one without a “key” then you need to turn off “auto updates”.

I was running a pirate XP, I turned on updates and was "spammed " from MS. Eventually I ran out of disc space so I was going to use a disc tool to expand that partition.  I could not. MS had locked the partition. I had to reinstall my pirate but this time with update turned off.  MS is cunning b*s*a*ds.

• 3 weeks later...