Breakfast gets a bit expensive as ban on egg exports lifted

snoop1130

Breakfast gets a bit expensive as ban on egg exports lifted

By THE NATION

800_cec03f503988528.jpg

Eggs will cost 20 satang more from next month now that the ban on egg exports has been lifted.

A source at the Layer Chickens Association said that from July 1, the association will set the suggested price for assorted eggs at Bt2.6 each from Bt2.4.

“The price of eggs is being raised due to the lifting of the ban on exports, coupled with the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry’s policy to provide a 25 satang subsidy to egg exporters for 200 million eggs over six months in a move to cut down on domestic oversupply,” the source said.

“More egg farmers are now choosing to export their produce, which is pushing up the price locally.”

Meanwhile, the association’s president Manote Chuthapthim has suggested that farmers stick to the original schedule of letting layer hens run free after being caged for 72 to 80 weeks.

“Some farmers may be tempted to keep their hens caged for a longer period now that the price of eggs has risen. But this will only create an oversupply in the future,” he said. “Farmers should follow the original schedule despite the increase in price to avoid oversupply and ensure the sustainability of the sector.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390357

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-26

We are talking about 6 baht for a tray of 30 eggs. I do not know about most of your guys, but that is not going to have much of an effect on my lifestyle. I buy organic eggs, every chance I get, and they are about 90 baht for 10 eggs. Worth it. A fairly dramatic difference in flavor. 

Perhaps the poorest of the poor might feel it a little bit. But, this does not seem to be a big deal. 

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We are talking about 6 baht for a tray of 30 eggs. I do not know about most of your guys, but that is not going to have much of an effect on my lifestyle. I buy organic eggs, every chance I get, and they are about 90 baht for 10 eggs. Worth it. A fairly dramatic difference in flavor. 

Perhaps the poorest of the poor might feel it a little bit. But, this does not seem to be a big deal. 

while i agree with you, and yes i too buy the more expensive antibiotic free eggs, this may have knock on effect later and there is more to this move most likely, as in reality the domestic demand should have not altered, covid or no covid, the number of people in the country did not change significantly, 

why are egg producers being encouraged to export ?
what happens later when big contracts are signed, which will see a bigger chunk of eggs being exported?

also per egg or tray sounds insignificant,
but
if all eggs are exported this would amount to nearly 4 Billion baht in subsidies per year
so any big producer that exports would see substantial amounts in subsidies
(using 2016 production figures, which should be on low side, as domestic egg demand also increases by 4% each year)

Edited by innosiem