Visa expiry on July 31st

6 hours ago, solomon david said:

Along with many othesr my Visa extension expires on July 31st

Do you mean the amnesty on your expired permission to stay ends on July 31st or did you win the lottery and have an actual visa/extension expiry date of 31 July? 

With the former, unless the amnesty's extended, AFAIK you'd be expected to leave  the country by midnight that day or be on overstay.

If the latter you've got all of July to apply for your extension of stay on an original long stay Visa. I don't expect there to be any extra extensions available of VOA's or TR visas that expired months ago sorry......

7 hours ago, dimitriv said:

I expect airline ticket prices to skyrocket. Especially if the term is not extended and the borders to neighboring countries remain closed.

That would be insanity surely. I think any possible extension to the amnesty will come down to when/if the land borders are opened. If they are not opened before the end of July then it would seem logical to extend the amnesty, if they are opened then foreigners at least have many options instead of just one airport with limited options on airlines/destinations. With Thailand's tourism industry already smashed I cant see even the Thai government being that silly but i guess you never know.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, solomon david said:

If the Malaysian border opens by the end of July I,ll head there as with an Irish passport I think I,ll get a 3 month free visa

Any word on whether or not Malaysia expects people to do 14 days quarantine, like Thailand is doing/proposing? If they have the same rip-off scam that the Thais have about staying in hotels at extortionate rates, and having US$100K insurance, Malaysia might not be an option for quite a few.

9 hours ago, MagnumForce said:

Any word on whether or not Malaysia expects people to do 14 days quarantine, like Thailand is doing/proposing? If they have the same rip-off scam that the Thais have about staying in hotels at extortionate rates, and having US$100K insurance, Malaysia might not be an option for quite a few.

Not at this time but they probably will not be opening up any time soon. New info posted on the 25th that states they are still closed for most people.

image.png.5968d76083ac64a99d571971fc2f98b2.png

Source after clicking Malaysia on the map here: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

22 hours ago, solomon david said:

If the Malaysian border opens by the end of July I,ll head there as with an Irish passport I think I,ll get a 3 month free visa

My suspended flight back to Europe is from kl anyway

In the Malaysian papers they are saying the easing back to normal won't be complete until September 1. This likely means, the Malaysian border won't re-open until September. That said, there is a possibility of a "travel bubble" emerging before then, but from what I've been reading, Thailand isn't included. It's only Singapore and Brunei, two countries with a particularly strong relationship with Malaysia due to ethnic and cultural ties. Even if Thailand were included (in phase 1 or phase 2), it will likely exclude expats and foreigners.

Good news - the PI is opening up with minimal quarantine - only 2 days in hotel, if flying to Cebu.  Of course, they ALWAYS proritized re-uniting families, even during their restrictive March rules ("family" is at the core of their culture - even if part of it is "foreign"). 
I found the news in this post:

No flights easy from here announced yet for June, that I can find, but hopefully more options will open up in July.  This could help many expats, if we are unable to go out for Visas (undetermined) or get extensions from Immigration. 

If other countries do not extend their auto-extensions, I would expect the PI to make a mint from us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Good news - the PI is opening up with minimal quarantine - only 2 days in hotel, if flying to Cebu.  Of course, they ALWAYS proritized re-uniting families, even during their restrictive March rules ("family" is at the core of their culture - even if part of it is "foreign"). 
I found the news in this post:

No flights easy from here announced yet for June, that I can find, but hopefully more options will open up in July.  This could help many expats, if we are unable to go out for Visas (undetermined) or get extensions from Immigration. 

If other countries do not extend their auto-extensions, I would expect the PI to make a mint from us.

Where is the official announcement of Philipines opening up to foreigners?  I could not find it.  Could you provide the source or link?  Many thanks. 

16 minutes ago, JohnBZ said:

Where is the official announcement of Philipines opening up to foreigners?  I could not find it.  Could you provide the source or link?  Many thanks. 

I saw the post I linked to, and it is duplicated on the Philippines Air website.  I do not see another announcement yet - but 2 days (essentially waiting for a test-result) vs 14 days, is huge. 

That said, I am NOT in a high-risk category - am less likely to die or even get sick from covid - if I were to get it - than on the way to the airport.  Others who are in risk-categories would have a different calculus. 

June flights here:
https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/aboutus/newsandevents/advisory-covid19-29may20-63

No july flight announcement yet

Edited by JackThompson

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I saw the post I linked to, and it is duplicated on the Philippines Air website.  I do not see another announcement yet - but 2 days (essentially waiting for a test-result) vs 14 days, is huge. 

That said, I am NOT in a high-risk category - am less likely to die or even get sick from covid - if I were to get it - than on the way to the airport.  Others who are in risk-categories would have a different calculus. 

June flights here:
https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/aboutus/newsandevents/advisory-covid19-29may20-63

No july flight announcement yet

I wouldn't nitpick over such details...the quarantines likely won't remain for too long and unless you are literally stuck with no options, I wouldn't leave Thailand to go to the Philippines now either. A 2 day wait after undergoing an unwelcome procedure (covid test) is not something I would ever consider. For me it's either easy entry with just my passport as usual, or I don't go.

I could fly to most parts of Europe today and not even have to do a quarantine. That's the way I like it. Also, much easier to fly to Europe from Thailand at the moment than to the Philippines.