Thailand reports no new domestic COVID-19 cases for 35 consecutive days

webfact

Thailand reports no new domestic COVID-19 cases for 35 consecutive days

2020-06-29T051535Z_1_LYNXMPEG5S096_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A man walks on a street after the government eased some protective measures following the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Bangkok, Thailand June 19, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Monday reported seven new coronavirus cases, all of which were imported, marking 35 days without community transmission.

The seven cases were Thais returning from India and the United States who had tested positive while in state quarantine, said Sukhum Kanchanapimai, the health ministry's permanent secretary.

The coronavirus has killed 58 people in Thailand, among 3,169 infections, of which 3,053 patients have recovered.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Martin Petty)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-29

Seven new Covid-19 cases – all in state quarantine

By The Nation

Thailand saw seven new confirmed Covid-19 cases – all in state quarantine – without any deaths over a 24-hour period, Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Sukhum Karnchanapimai reported today (June 29), marking 35 days without a domestic case.

Among the latest cases, six had returned home from India – three men (aged 42, 45 and 61) and three women (28, 31 and 36 years old). They were found to have fever, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing and a loss of smell. The seventh case was a person who returned from the US with a cough and sore throat.

As of today, the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in the country stands at 3,169 (2,444 domestic cases and 232 found in state quarantine). Of these, 58 are under treatment, 3,053 have recovered and been discharged, and 58 have died.

According to Dr Sukhum, most of the virus cases in state quarantine are found in the first five days. However, the 14-day quarantine period is still needed.

Thailand presently has 10,349 beds available nationwide for severe cases, more than 1.1 million N95 masks, over 511,000 PPE suits and 11,096 respirators, Sukhum said, adding that there are more than 300,000 Favipiravir tablets in stock and the necessary medicine, meaning that the country is ready in case a second wave breaks out.

Globally, there are now 10.2 million confirmed Covid-19 cases, an increase of 163,000 in the past 24 hours, which is considered a record. Of these, 5.5 million have recovered and more than 500,000 have died.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390468

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-29

Sometimes I find it very hard to believe what is written.

I assume that temperature would be checked when boarding the plane where the passengers are departing. For a while returnees are said to be infected.

Could the purpose of the reports be to make Thailand look good and other countries bad when it comes to handling the situation?

Just my thoughts, I hope I am wrong.

than why has the state of emergency been extended till july 31st?

By THE NATION
The state of emergency was extended for another month, until July 31, at Monday (June 29)’s meeting of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

The meeting, which was headed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, considered the fifth phase of lockdown easing, the state of emergency, and the reopening of Thailand’s border to foreigners.

The CCSA reportedly extended the state of emergency to aid the fifth-phase easing and the reopening of schools and colleges on July 1.

Businesses set to be reopened on July 1 include pubs, bars and entertainment venues

1 hour ago, Paiman said:

Sometimes I find it very hard to believe what is written.

I assume that temperature would be checked when boarding the plane where the passengers are departing. For a while returnees are said to be infected.

Could the purpose of the reports be to make Thailand look good and other countries bad when it comes to handling the situation?

Just my thoughts, I hope I am wrong.

I also wonder about the pilots and crew on those flights. Oh, and other passengers (there are some, I assume) that happen to share the flight....