Work permit transfer

Hi,

If I quit/get fired before I find new job, and then lets say I would find one after a month, will I get any benefit in having a work permit issued previously? Can it be transfered, or does it only work, when you have next job lined up, when you quit?

- the Work Permit is issued to the employer, not to you

- having a second employer added to "your" W.P. requires the prior approval of the first employer.

- going beyond the questions you asked, I have seen something saying, that at least in some Labour dept. offices, a W.P. can now only be cancelled by a representative of the employer.

15 hours ago, Kalorymetr said:

So bascily in Thailand, every time an expat changes job, the process is the same like coming here first time, right?

When I've changed jobs or started a new job I've applied for a new work permit in relation to the new employment. I have always made the application (with help from my employers) and I have always held the work permit - it has always been issued to me, never to my employer, it is my document not my employer's document.  That's been my experience. Page 2 of my current work permit clearly states the name of the holder (me) and bears the signature of the holder (me); the holder is not my employer.  

15 hours ago, Kalorymetr said:

So bascily in Thailand, every time an expat changes job, the process is the same like coming here first time, right?

Yes, 99% of the time. In 25 yrs. here, I have been aware of 2 cases where the first employer agreed to allow the addition of a relatively small "moonlighting" job to a subsisting Work Permit.

There has always been disagreement about who owns the W.P. I have worked for employers who locked the W.P. in a safe. One gave it to me the day I resigned, another refused. And, if we are now at the point where the employee can not even walk into cancel the W.P.,I question whether it is his Permit.