Nongnooch Garden scraps two-tiered pricing for expats in Thailand

webfact

Perhaps they will give me a refund for the visits I made with my Thai family and the honour of paying Thai price for them and exorbitant price for me many years ago. That was one of the many places including National parks that I refused to patronize. Now they are punting for customers. Hard brown stuff!????

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Howis it news? Many years that Nong Nooch allow Thai-price for foreigners with a Thai Driving License ! I should know: I visited this place about 3 times a year in last 4-5 years ???? and always paid the smaller Thai price (the one without the show).

+1

Showing a Thai DL has always resulted in paying the Thai price.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign residents are asked to provide one of the following:

1. Thai Drivers license (Province of Resident is printed on the reverse side)

2. Resident card 

3. Valid work permit

1. I don't drive, so I don't have a driving license.

2. I've never even heard of a "resident card", unless they're referring to a permanent residence book?

3. I'm on a retirement extension, so by definition I don't work and don't have a work permit.

So this benefit is actually only for foreigners who drive and work in Thailand?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

2. I've never even heard of a "resident card", unless they're referring to a permanent residence book?

3. I'm on a retirement extension, so by definition I don't work and don't have a work permit.

So this benefit is actually only for foreigners who drive and work in Thailand?

Nonsense i do not have a Thai driving license anymore, but have a yellow book, pink id card.

You can easily get the same, do that, stop posting incorrect info.

• Confused 2

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

....but they still fully support the two-tiered pricing system for foreign tourists.

What a bunch of ตูด they are.... <shakes head> 

Yes but at least it's a step in the right direction.

I can now go there and be treated the same as Thais.

I think if more venues followed suit, it would be a very welcome move.

16 hours ago, Upnotover said:

They are tourists, not residents.  In any case, hardly a major issue, I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to go there twice.

Im a  regular have been for  years but  if they were  going down that pricing route for me it  would  be bye bye

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

+1

Well, now it's been made official. Otherwise we're left with an anecdotal discussion of: "oh I got in to this venue or that national park with just my Thai driver's license 2 years ago" "Oh I didn't". Now everyone with proof of residency can get in to this venue for the Thai price officially.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

+1

Wrong! Not has always been. I was refused years ago and have never been there since.

7 hours ago, topt said:

Unlikely. If you play with a group the organiser has normally arranged the price with someone other than the "cashier" or the PSC/Birdie listed price/coupon plus they issue tickets so how would that work..... But you know that :wink:

Sattahip 9 hole courses are different

• Like 2

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Nonsense i do not have a Thai driving license anymore, but have a yellow book, pink id card.

You can easily get the same, do that, stop posting incorrect info.

Like many resident foreigners who rent rooms here, no, I cannot easily get a yellow book or pink ID card - and a pink ID card is not a "resident card" in any case. 

• Like 1

I am impressed with the progress expats are doing in Thailand!
First TM30 solved and now no more dual pricing!  

Or maybe it's just desperation to get foreigners back?

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

They aren't allowed to get a Thai driving license? That's new.

Really? SETV & METV holders can get a Thai drivers license? I read before on this forum that SETV/METV holders aren't allowed to get a Thai license as they're not considered "long stay". Anyone care to elaborate if this is true or not?

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Really? SETV & METV holders can get a Thai drivers license? I read before on this forum that SETV/METV holders aren't allowed to get a Thai license as they're not considered "long stay". Anyone care to elaborate if this is true or not?

They can. Official notices posted at the Land Transport Deparment and my own experiences confirm this. However, generally speaking you can only seek a 2-year licence on a tourist visa, not the 5 year one. That said, I managed to upgrade from 2 to 5 years on a double entry tourist visa back in 2014. I've since extended (on a marriage visa) to another 5 year license.

34 minutes ago, balo said:

Or maybe it's just desperation to get foreigners back?

Baby steps. But a step in the right direction.

22 hours ago, bbi1 said:

This article is an absolute load of shtttt, first it says:

Then it says:

1. Thai Drivers license (Province of Resident is printed on the reverse side)

2. Resident card 

3. Valid work permit

What about experts living in Thailand that don't have any of things who are on Elite Visas, SETV, METV and can't get those type of documents?

Too bad. First of all, SETV and METV holders are technically not expats. Secondly, you can apply for a driver's license on each of these visa types.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, johnray said:

They should bleed foreigners dry and inturn improve the service.  That's how Thailand was built up from the dust in the first place. 

If you want free stuff go to Laos.  That place is a barren turd.

What's free in Laos? Most tourist attractions in that country operate with dual pricing too. One or two attractions in Savannakhet recently said they would be made free, not that that makes much of a difference (not even sure if those attractions had dual pricing or not).

7 hours ago, Longchop said:

The thai excuse has always been that this forigner rip off pricing was to pay for maintence of  government owned national parks etc, how do these private businesses like nong nooch justify their blatent ripping off of western tourists ? How many billions baht have they scamed out of soft western tourists over the last 30 , 40 years ?

The NEW favourite tourists  chinese an indians won't be so easily mugged

Yeah right. Chinese and Indians don't even know they're being ripped off. And on some signs it says right there in Chinese that they have to pay the same higher price as other foreigners.

23 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Amazing coincidence that they'd decide to charge Thais full price when there is no one in the country who meets the old criteria for being charged full price. 

I predict a return to the old pricing model once foreign tourists return. 

You predict wrong. Tourists still pay the higher price, and expats have generally been afforded (often unofficially) the Thai price at private tourist attractions like this one for years. Besides, why would they announce a policy change and then 2 months later reverse it? Don't be ridiculous.

56 minutes ago, balo said:

Or maybe it's just desperation to get foreigners back

It's just a lure, as soon as the first victim steps on the ground they'll be right back at it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, balo said:

First TM30 solved and now no more dual pricing!  //

Impressed? Progress?... Why? Where?

We are in the Pattaya forum:

- TM30 was not required there for expats, as long as you didn't move your home address

- Nong Nooch was already offering for years the Thai price if you had a Thai Driving License

So basically nothing changed ! :ermm:

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Impressed? Progress?... Why? Where?

We are in the Pattaya forum:

- TM30 was not required there for expats, as long as you didn't move your home address

- Nong Nooch was already offering for years the Thai price if you had a Thai Driving License

So basically nothing changed ! :ermm:

Indeed it hasn't................................ but smoke and mirrors make for a good marketing exercise.

Perhaps Nong Nooch has finally met what the foreigner market WAS NOT prepared to pay.  

Do Nong Nooch:

A) lower foreigner prices to Thai prices to increase turn over, therefore making the same profit?

B) keep the dual pricing structure and lose foreign customers?

C) raise the prices even higher to rip off a small amount of foreigners to make up for the foreigner customers they have lost.  

It's a tough decision, especially in the Covid-19 period of the next 12 to 18 months.  ???? ????

• Haha 1